Home Precious Metals

Stacking, .999 or silver coins?

FrankHFrankH Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you think silver coins have passed the recognition time for most?
I'm beginning to think .999 is smarter to stack at this time.
??

Comments

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't know whether it's smarter or not, but I stack both.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't really matter imo. If you want to turn $$$ into dead money stack it all I say. Now if you're talking .999 gold that's a completely different story. As the saying goes "You can take silver out of the gutter but you can't take the gutter out of the silver." I guess if you have 50+ years or so you may get lucky once......Perhaps even twice. Factor in buy/sell spreads, inflation etc. and at best it may be a wash. lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm, not sure what you mean by recognition time for most

.999 is purer, so that's a plus.
    90% is more recognizable to most people vs generic silver rounds.

The rule is buy what you like.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Passed?

No

Don’t buy culls

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

.9999 10 oz RCM bars or Silver Eagles for me.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭

Cant go wrong with American Silver Eagles!

Loves me some shiny!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FrankH .... I like ASE's for stacking....Though I certainly have Morgans and Peace dollars as well. I keep all small silver I find, but do not seek it for purchase. Cheers, RickO

• PppPpp Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭

As a small percentage of my overall portfolio I always found the combination of numismatic coins and stacking coins are a good combination.
    I know the money I used for my stacks would be a lot more if I invested elsewhere however, you don’t know what you don’t know. I think diversification still makes sense.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have my stash I can tell you that. I’ve been adding to it since the 90’s off and on. It’s an impressive pile now but I’m long term all the way. It’s so heavy now it broke the handle off the safe deposit box at the bank when I pulled it out to add some more.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.