Home Sports Talk
Options

Why is Ken Riley not in the pro football HOF?

LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was recently reading about Mr Riley's career. He had 65 career int's, he was durable, almost never missed a game in his long career. Was he a victim of playing on some bad Bengal's teams or playing in a smaller market? Maybe I'm missing something here but it seems like putting Mr Riley in the hall would be a no brainer??

Comments

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched the NFL since 1963 and don’t remember him. I guess the Bengals were a black hole for players. Impressive 9 interceptions in 1976. 5 career Pick 6’s.
    Maybe the veterans committee will eventually put a couple of Bengals in. Riley and Ken Anderson.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see him ever getting in, and that has absolutely nothing to do with his playing career. The HOF is so media/money driven that it is now even more difficult for a deceased player to be inducted, even by the veteran's committee. Riley is not alive to draw people to Canton for Induction Weekend, nor can he participate in fund raising or promotional events. At this point his induction is basically an expense with little chance of recuperating the investment. Terrible as I know that sounds, I truly believe it.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:
    I don't see him ever getting in, and that has absolutely nothing to do with his playing career. The HOF is so media/money driven that it is now even more difficult for a deceased player to be inducted, even by the veteran's committee. Riley is not alive to draw people to Canton for Induction Weekend, nor can he participate in fund raising or promotional events. At this point his induction is basically an expense with little chance of recuperating the investment. Terrible as I know that sounds, I truly believe it.

That makes total sense, such a shame too.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never heard of him