Home Q & A Forum
Options

2 1/2 Indian head. Is it worth grading?

carlitofitzcarlitofitz Posts: 2
edited July 20, 2021 8:31AM in Q & A Forum

Hi guys, had this coin in my family going back to the 30’s as far as I know. Was going to grade it but some coin dealer said it wouldn’t be worth the money to send in and find out. Just wondering if any of you guys had a differing opinion? The person at the coin shop didn’t seem to be too interested or knowledgeable. Thanks. It’s a 1914 D print

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah it has some wear but in hand did you photograde the coin? I say if it's F or better, consider that by grading, it gets stabbed and protected as a family heirloom. IMO. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    Yeah it has some wear but in hand did you photograde the coin? I say if it's F or better, consider that by grading, it gets stabbed and protected as a family heirloom. IMO. Peace Roy

No I didn’t photograde the coin, not even sure how to do that. So in your opinion Roy it’s not worth paying the $150 to get it graded either is it? Cheers

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pm sent

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

Not worth grading unless it's for sentimental reasons. ;)

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@carlitofitz said:

@Namvet69 said:

No I didn’t photograde the coin, not even sure how to do that. So in your opinion Roy it’s not worth paying the $150 to get it graded either is it? Cheers

It shouldn’t cost you anywhere near $150 to get it graded. But even at a much lower cost, the coin doesn’t merit grading. And you can preserve it extremely economically, by placing it in a flip or other type of container.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

{ And you can preserve it extremely economically, by placing it in a flip or other type of container.}

Black ringed Air-Tite capsules are beautiful when paired with gold coins that don't merit slabbing.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭

My question is whether this is genuine. With this series of coins, there's usually a reason why it isn't slabbed. These are the most counterfeited coins.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olympicsos "My question is whether this is genuine."

Always a valid concern with this series.
    It looks genuine to me but I have been wrong before.
    I would also guess it looked okay to MFeld or he would have mentioned something.

"there's usually a reason why it isn't slabbed"

The OP said "had this coin in my family going back to the 30’s"
    Many times a small family collection or folks with limited knowledge about grading may have never tried to send it anywhere.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 1913 - 2 1/2 quarter eagle and have had the same question. To grade or not to grade. I still have this question every time i look at the coin.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are concerned regarding whether your Indian Gold coin is counterfeit, there are pick-up points. Take a read of this article by PCGS experts.

https://www.pcgs.com/news/Indian-Head-Quarter-Eagles-King-Of-The-Counterfeit-Gold-Coin?gid=35

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

Have someone else send it. That way it is protected for generations to come