Home Sports Talk
Options

Olympics

DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Went for happy hour today and the US trials were on for gymnastics. The men need work, the girls were crushing it. Anybody planning on watching once it starts Friday?

The track, weightlifting, and gym stuff is what I'll try to catch.

Comments

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will definitely be watching the opening ceremonies. It won't be the same without any fans in attendance though.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2021 4:35PM

I'll watch some. Hoping for a Godzilla sighting to shake things up. I'm obsessed with this Titan.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll be watching during the evening at least.

I usually wish the show all events somewhere. With money being involved I expect to be left wanting

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2021 4:58PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    I’ll be watching during the evening at least.

I usually wish the show all events somewhere. With money being involved I expect to be left wanting

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 1992 (iirc) they stopped having both the Summer and Winter Olympics in the same year. This started what we have today. Every two years we have the Olympics. In my opinion, this took a lot out of it.

• Options

I was happy with the alternation

4 yrs was too long for me

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tennis. Novak Djokovic continues his march to win a 2021 Golden slam.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@MsMorrisine said:

I am sure a lot of people feel the way you do. To me, every four years made it something unique and increased the excitement of the buildup.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t think I’ll tune in. Just baseball and soccer for now.

• Options
    edited July 21, 2021 11:59AM

And womens soccer and softball have already started. Sweden beat the US ladies in soccer and US beat Italy in softball.

• Options

Mens soccer starts tomorrow early/overnight. Brazil/Germany 7.30am est.

• Options

My euroMutt heritage roots for Sweden too...grandma said so

• Options

Don’t mind watching some softball

US plays again tonight

• Options
    edited July 21, 2021 6:59PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    Don’t mind watching some softball

US plays again tonight

Great game so far against Canada

Nice win

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2021 5:17PM

I'm sitting here trying to watch the opening ceremonies and my wife isn't liking this, she wants to watch "Love Island" on CBS. The only thing I can say is, good gravy man, what kind of balderdash is this Love Island!

• Options

The opening ceremonies just doesn't have the same feeling to it as past opening ceremonies because of the lack of audience, it just doesn't have that magic.

• Options
    edited July 23, 2021 7:21PM

Turned the opening ceremonies off. Was going to watch this morning but wifey wanted to hit the gym and do her errands so we saved it....and switched it pretty quick to the braves game tonight.

• Options

I'm just sitting here eating a chicken sandwich and watching the Olympics, women's water polo is on!

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I'm just sitting here eating a chicken sandwich and watching the Olympics, women's water polo is on!

I ended up staying up all night to watch the US woman vs Japan in water polo, US woman vs Mexico in softball, mixed archery ( FUN!) and I set my alarm to 4:30am to watch the US women vs New Zealand soccer match. My wife thinks I'm cheating on her

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@doubledragon said:

I ended up staying up all night to watch the US woman vs Japan in water polo, US woman vs Mexico in softball, mixed archery ( FUN!) and I set my alarm to 4:30am to watch the US women vs New Zealand soccer match. My wife thinks I'm cheating on her

m

It is fun, I love the Olympics, I can watch any event and get into it and enjoy it. My wife doesn't like me very much right bow because I've taken complete control of the television for the next few weeks, she's been reduced to reading magazines!

• Options

Caught some volleyball, water polo, and table tennis now. Gonna meet some folks in a couple hours to get some food and watch the United game (buddy is using my tix) and I'm sure whatever else will be on there too.

• Options

Now I'm watching rowing, man it looks fun, they're just gliding very fast across the water. Each boat has eight rowers doing the work and a person sitting up front who yells at them to work harder!

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Olympic channel had 18 straight hrs of tennis.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

USA v Australia softball on CNBC in 30 mins

• Options

The women's teams seem strong as usual so far

m

• Options

Bryson DeChambeau out. Tested positive for Covid

m

• Options

Dang and what a game

Btw, if you can find a way to watch Qatar v El Salvador go for it

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

And the games have only begun

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    Dang and what a game

Btw, if you can find a way to watch Qatar v El Salvador go for it

Qatar is no joke. So fun to watch. Had the Mexico - Honduras game on but Mexico is putting the beat down on.

The street skate boarding is pretty awesome.

The USA walk off against Australia was indeed sweet. Pride of U of Michigan with the winning hit

m

• Options

@doubledragon did you put Mrs DD to bed?

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    @doubledragon did you put Mrs DD to bed?

m

Mrs. DD has been reduced to reading Cosmopolitan magazine a lot lately and sulking. I've got complete control over the TV for the next few weeks, she knows I can't be reasoned with during the Olympics!

• Options

I'm watching kayaking now!

• Options

UPDATE: I'm watching women's synchronized diving now!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't forget to let us know when you're watching women's beach volleyball. And.....PLEASE.....post the video!

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    Don't forget to let us know when you're watching women's beach volleyball. And.....PLEASE.....post the video!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Covid continues to rule the world, cities are going to refuse to host it. Aside from the TV coverage, the Japanese must be losing their shirts.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    If Covid continues to rule the world, cities are going to refuse to host it. Aside from the TV coverage, the Japanese must be losing their shirts.

Toyota their major sponsor pulled all ads this week. Corporately wanted to distance themselves from the optics of supporting the games while the country is suffering with Covid cases and the public not wanting the games to be played.

m

• Options

Minor upset as the US beats Japan in men's Water Polo 15-13. Fun match

m

• Options

So far my favorite events have been women's softball, men's and women's street skateboarding ( could watch all day), men's water polo and archery.

m

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

m

captain america taking his place

say what you will about p reed, but he will always answer the call to represent

and I quote, "a duty of mine to go"

love it

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

captain america taking his place

say what you will about p reed, but he will always answer the call to represent

and I quote, "a duty of mine to go"

love it

He's a bulldog I'll give him that.

m

• Options
    edited July 27, 2021 6:55AM

Woke up this morning seeing Simone Biles withdrew from the team finals in Japan due to a medical issue. Dug around and found out adhd drugs are banned in Japan supposedly so maybe she had a breakdown....? Or an ankle issue...

• Options
    edited July 27, 2021 3:15PM

super stoked for the golf. lots of fascinating story lines.

really cool to have a couple of American golfers with Japanese lineage (Morikawa, Schauffele). no doubt those guys have added motivation.

and speaking of added motivation, read up on Si Woo Kim and Sungjae Im. two PGA regs (and very good players) who, if they medal, forgo two years of military service that is mandatory for South Korean males ages 18-28. immense pressure. they do not want to become the next Sangmoon Bae -- a guy who was firmly established on tour, then left for South Korea to go fulfill his duty, then came back and has yet to find his game again many years removed. those two guys are playing for more than just national pride..........quite possibly their careers as well.

and then we have arguably the heaviest weight of all..........on the shoulders of Hideki Matsuyama.

can't wait

• Options

Placing a bet for 2024 now

Women’s double sculls - Romania gold

USA commentator: “Romania likes fast at start” - “USA pick up towards end”

Nah to both.

Romania blew everyone away end to end and we were 5th/6 end to end.

• Options

Watching some cycling replays of crashes

Perhaps the team car should also be an ambulance

• Options

@coolstanley said:

Ended abruptly

m

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@coolstanley said:

Ended abruptly

m

Was surprised he was playing mixed doubles. Was he getting greedy?? He should have just played singles. Tennis matches can wear players down. He wants GS anyway. Even the NBA players want NBA championships. Ewing would trade all the medals in the world for an NBA championship.

• Options
    edited July 30, 2021 10:15PM

@Mickey71 said:

@Justacommeman said:

@coolstanley said:

Ended abruptly

m

He wants GS anyway. Even the NBA players want NBA championships. Ewing would trade all the medals in the world for an NBA championship.

Indeed. I can't think of any sport where professionals are involved where an Olympic Gold would be more desired then a World Championship. Certainly not over a Grand Slam event, Stanley Cup, NBA Title , World Series, World Cup, Golf Major etc

m

• Options

2:13 AM central

X-man just got up and down from 100 yards on 18 to win the gold

but it's not over yet

there's about to be a 7-man playoff for the bronze

golf has been sensational

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    2:13 AM central

X-man just got up and down from 100 yards on 18 to win the gold

but it's not over yet

there's about to be a 7-man playoff for the bronze

golf has been sensational

So many vaults up the leaderboard today. Multiple low and I mean low 60's rounds. Fantastic

m