Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need help identifying the name of this error and it’s rarity

After weeks of research and scrolling through what seems like thousands of pages looking at coins of all varying levels of error, I still have not found another quite like this one. I have a 2012 D El Yunque that from what I can see appears that the LI is a double dyed L, there appears to be a ring of sorts around Washington’s head, and from what I’ve gathered, the reverse has been broadstruck? It looks like this: I have not been able to find any 2012 quarters with quite as much error, let alone any really, and was hoping someone may be able to tell me if this is legit, and if I really have a one of a kind or not?

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2021 11:35AM

The reason you can find any info for your coin is that its just a damaged coin not an error.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

Just a damaged quarter. ;)

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a damaged coin - the edges have been 'beveled' -

It didn't leave the Mint like that - not an error coin of
    any kind, we're sorry to say.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

It may be the result of the paper roll crimping machine.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

These types of coins come out of modern washing machines. I have personally seen our washing machine produce the exact same results.

There are hundreds of these every week on Ebay, all are damaged and not error coins.

Zero extra value.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

there is no doubling of any type on the L

the circular marks around Washington coupled with that circular part on the reverse is indicative of a heavy wear down while spinning in or on something. that's not broadstruck, it's heavily damaged.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Just out of curiosity, why do so many comment the same thing when you can clearly see the first comment says everything the next several say? And secondly, if it was caused by a washing machine as most of you claim, why am I unable to find any pictures of other coins with any kind of similar “ after mint damages” like you all claim is the case here with this piece? That beveled edge wasn’t caused by grinding or rolling over something else for an elongated period of time either, I mean, I’m no coin expert, but wouldn’t an edge like that caused by grinding or even rolling produce some kind of horizontal striations in the flow of the wear instead of the vertical ones there are suggesting that the metal was pushed or even pressed that way? And so evenly nonetheless?

And you’re right @Ms.Morrisine, there is no doubling on the “L” itself, I was merely saying that the “I” looked to me like a completely whole other attempt at being stamped as an “L” due to the lower left hand corner of the “B” having that section separated and if you zoom in close enough on the picture, the bottom of the “I” begins to slightly taper outward.

• Options

there are some arcs on the beveled edge. for example, above "yunque"

I'd guess radial effects are from varying hardness from metal flow outward. I could be wrong. However, the edge has reeding all the way around. a coin that is struck with the ability to move metal outside a collar, would not have a beveled edge.

What is going on with the "IB" is from damage caused by whatever left those circular marks.

as for the multiple comments. we have a tendency to want to participate.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD R1

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options

"Just out of curiosity, why do so many comment the same thing when you can clearly see the first comment says everything the next several say?"

Because if only 1 person responded there is a very good chance you would question what they are saying. ;):D
    Even after soo many of the same comments you are still questioning.

"That beveled edge wasn’t caused by grinding or rolling over something else"

Sorry, that is not correct. Nothing in the minting process would produce that effect. ;)

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to throw this out there. Reverse damage from a bezel and obverse is from being glued into said bezel?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

that ugly thing in a bezel as jewelry?

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the original poster @JP8980

You said “ And secondly, if it was caused by a washing machine as most of you claim, why am I unable to find any pictures of other coins with any kind of similar “ after mint damages” like you all claim is the case here with this piece? ”

Here you go 🌞

Mr_Spud

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, Oh, Oh, I know... It was a ballerina. She said here hold my beer and watch this, I'm going to spin on a quarter.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

simple and blunt your coin is PMD nothing more, nothing less

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

Could be a key chain

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

OP's coin could not have been produced at the mint. That is clear based on an understanding of the minting process and how the forces in play impact the blank planchet as it is struck.

Mine is not as neatly bevelled.(sorry for the bad picture) but it suffered a similar abuse.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JP8980 .... Welcome aboard.... You have the answer above....and once by a highly recognized, and published, error expert, @FredWeinberg . We often offer supporting comments/agreement, especially since new collectors are frequently unwilling to accept just one answer.... And in your case, several. Your coin is Post Mint Damaged. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Neil Degrasse Tyson or Stephen Hawking (when he was alive) said that the sun is yellow, I would believe them. That belief has nothing to do with them being experts. The facts stand on their own. If I refuse to agree that the sun is yellow, the only person in the wrong is me.

Your coin has been damaged after it left the mint. No amount of insults will change that.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, somebody has gotten their toes stepped on!

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    OP's coin could not have been produced at the mint.

I am positive that OP’s coin was produced at the mint and I will bet any amount of money that it was.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    edited October 23, 2022 4:51PM

@JP8980 Send it in for grading and come back and post the results and prove everybody wrong. ;)

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JP8980 said:
    First of all, what I’m seeing is that the “foremost expert” in identifying mint errors is never wrong, not even by chance at times? Which I find odd cause I do believe that both Neill Degrasse Tyson, the foremost expert in Astrophysics and understanding the universe and everything in it and Stephen Hawking, the foremost expert in theoretical physics both claimed that “the more you know about something specific, the less you actually know about it in its entirety.”

@FredWeinberg, I apologize for not taking you at your word, but not because I felt like I just brushed it off. I’ve been collecting for almost 25 years and not once ever, have I come across your name in any of my research. I’m absolutely 100% sure I would remember if I had, simply because my IQ of 162 allots me that ability. That being said, while others may take your word as undeniable truth, I will question you, not out of disrespect or disbelief, but to challenge you to explain your thoughts in greater detail so that I may gain a better understanding of how you came to said conclusion, based on the information you have been given, how you processed this information based on the variables to consider, and lastly why it is believed that your conclusion is in fact the only plausible answer to the question being posed.

Secondly, if only one person had responded, it wouldn’t have seemed so overwhelmingly negative, therefore it probably would’ve warranted less of a response, especially if it were to come only from professionals and not just every nickel and dimer that trolls the web looking to leave their 2 cents on the back end of a professional response, cause even though after all of you sent your responses, I’m still questioning it.

This quarter looks nothing like any of those “washing machine coins” in the pictures above. The first and most obvious reason for that is because of the wear patterns. The beveling on the reverse shows no other circular wearing in the middle of the coin like the examples given above, in fact, the obverse side of the coin, where no beveling has taken place along the edges of the coin, is the only place there seems to be any circular wear in the center of the coin around the bust of Washington. Also, judging by the amount of double dying in the motto “IN GOD WE TRUST,” as well as the uniformity of the edges of the rings created in the wear pattern on the obverse, that would suggest that possibly a smaller coin, such as a nickel and/or then a penny, were possibly stamped against the blank quarter planchette before the quarter had even been struck. I can’t be the only one that sees the secondary lip split, bottom lip, and chin impression on the neck of Washington just under where his ponytail begins either, did anyone else spot that? Or has no one actually taken the time to really look at the coin?

Do these fine details fly over heads because y’all have looked at so many coins with the assumption that because of it’s “at a glance appearance” being similar to that of something undesirable that it could only be that and nothing else?

Most of y’all I’m sure use a loupe to look at your coins close up, but I’ve got an LED lit microscope and the ability to magnify from 40x-1000x on a 46” 4K TV screen, yet I still took these pictures with an iPhone 7S and can see all of those unique features just spending a few extra minutes really looking at it.

@FredWeinberg worked for PCGS (Professional Coin Grading Service) for quite some time as their error authenticator before his retirement a few months ago. PCGS quite literally bet millions of dollars on Fred's word, so I have no reason to doubt him. Not many companies would bet millions in one person without them being right pretty much every time.

In this case, if you have been collecting for 25 years, you should know exactly how this coin was produced at the mint. I'd love to hear your explanation of how this look could occur during the normal minting process.

Until you can explain that, I'll stick to the facts - your coin is a washing machine coin.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options

@JP8980
    "I’ve been collecting for almost 25 years and not once ever, have I come across your name in any of my research."

"because my IQ of 162 allots me that ability."

"judging by the amount of double dying"

"were possibly stamped against the blank quarter planchette"

Wow! That high IQ and 25 years of collecting and you still don't know the difference between dye & die or how to spell planchet. Impressive for sure! :D

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2022 5:41PM

@JP8980 said:.

…especially if it were to come only from professionals and not just every nickel and dimer that trolls the web looking to leave their 2 cents on the back end of a professional response, cause even though after all of you sent your responses, I’m still questioning it.

Thank you for recognizing my part. Few pay me attention.

• Options

@JBK said:
    Why was this nonsense resurrected after a years and a quarter? :/

Because that's what trolls with a 16.2 IQ do. :D

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sapyx said:
    I'm not entirely sure why it took the OP fifteen months to compose that reply, but anyways...

Mint errors are a result of some flaw, defect or breakdown in the coin minting machinery or processes. Minting a coin is a complex industrial process, but not really all that complex. There are only a small number of ways the machinery can break down and result in an error coin. Thus, "mint errors" can be classified, according to exactly where in the process the incident occurred, and what exactly broke down to create the error.

However, once a perfectly normal, non-error coin is struck and put into circulation, there are far, far more possible different ways that a coin can get damaged. It might fall into a wood-chipper, or get run over by a lawnmower, or get dropped into a vat of chemicals, or a myriad other deliberate or accidental ways it can get damaged. It may be impossible to explain exactly how the damage was applied to any specific post-mint-damaged coin; there could even be several different possible explanations.

Now, let's have a look at some of the OP's suggested explanations.

@JP8980 said:
    ...from what I’ve gathered, the reverse has been broadstruck?

It is impossible - literally impossible - for just one side of a coin to be broadstruck. A broadstrike happens when the collar die - the ring-shaped apparatus that applies the milled edge to the coin and stops the metal from just squirting out the sides when the two main dies slam together - is completely missing. The metal in the coin then squirts out the sides, creating the thick, broad rim that is characteristic of a broadstrike, on both sides of the coin. A broadstrike is physically larger in diameter than a normal non-error coin of the same type, and the extended rim is usually thicker than the rest of the coin - not thinner, as is the case here.

This clearly has not happened on your coin, as you can clearly see the milled edge is perfectly intact, apart from where it has been removed on the bevelling.

@JP8980 said:
    ...appears that the LI is a double dyed L, there appears to be a ring of sorts around Washington’s head, and...

Whenever you see an error/damaged coin, is it always far, far less likely that multiple independent errors on it have occurred simultaneously. You've postulated that something added the ring, while something else caused the double die, and another something else caused the bevelling on the other side. All allegedly happening in that same moment, when the coin was struck, or shortly afterwards.

Ockham's Razor says this is the least probable explanation. Far more likely is that a single event has caused all three evidences of damage.

In this case, let's start by focussing on those circles. They are clearly post-mint damage, as they run across both the fields and the lettering; a mint error/variety like a clashed die would not do this. Something - something post-mint - has carved those circles onto the coin; either a rotating device like a coin-rolling machine, or a dremel or some other drill-like tool. This same device has caused what you are seeing as "doubling" on the LI and elsewhere in the lettering.

And, I suspect, this same device has been the cause of the bevelling on the reverse.

How might this have been done? Note what I said earlier, about not always having a perfect explanation of a post-mint-damaged coin, because we weren't there to watch it happen. I agree that "washing machine damage" would probably have added a lot more scuffing to the reverse design, and would probably have totally obliterated all of the rim wording on the reverse. So I have two theories:

1. The "keychain" theory, as mentioned by an earlier poster. Somebody hammered the coin into a tight-fitting bezel, creating the damage on both the obverse and the reverse. I'm not really a fan of this theory, as I'd think hammering-damage would look different to this. But maybe if they'd used a piece of pipe as a form of punch, to push the coin down into the bezel, then that would explain the ring-shaped damage. You also have the problem of how did the coin liberate itself afterwards, if it was hammered in so tightly.
    2. Someone superglued, or otherwise attached, the coin to a dremel drill or similar tool, then turned it on, and used the attached coin as a kind of grinding wheel on some other surface. Doing this would create the neat bevelled edge, as well as damage to the other side. This theory seems to fit the evidence, the only problem with it being that it sounds like a boneheadedly stupid and dangerous thing to try to do, and the only reason I can imagine in doing such a thing would be to try to create an "artificial error coin". I always prefer to attribute coin damage to accident, rather than malicious fraud.

Most of the "post-mint damage" theories we could come up with, involves something somehow grinding away the rim of the reverse. In which case, the coin should be significantly lighter than a normal quarter. So, if the OP still has this coin, how about we get its weight, to the nearest 0.01 grams, and weigh a couple of normal quarters as well so we know the balance is calibrated properly.

That’s a very well thought out, detailed and excellent post. Sadly, I still expect that it will fall on deaf ears. As I’m frequently reminded that it’s nearly impossible to overestimate the power of hoping or wishing, even when they’re confronted with actual facts.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2022 4:06AM

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Why was this nonsense resurrected after a year and a quarter? :/

Maybe it took his 162 IQ that long to remember his forum password?

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t feed the trolls guys. Just like bears in Yellowstone, it makes them come back.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MsMorrisine said:

Could be a key chain

You know those parrot heads. (not the OP)
    Buffeting damage from the keys.
    File it under Margaritaville so you don't loose it.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JP8980 said:
    First of all, what I’m seeing is that the “foremost expert” in identifying mint errors is never wrong, not even by chance at times? Which I find odd cause I do believe that both Neill Degrasse Tyson, the foremost expert in Astrophysics and understanding the universe and everything in it and Stephen Hawking, the foremost expert in theoretical physics both claimed that “the more you know about something specific, the less you actually know about it in its entirety.”

>

If you're gonna get all "sciencey" about this, provide evidence to disprove his hypothesis formed over several decades of working with error coins. To claim NGT is the "foremost expert in Astrophysics and understanding the universe and everything in it" is absurd. Hawking and NGT's thoughts on astrophysics and theoretical physics are irrelevant here, anyway. We're talking coins here, where the causes of coin errors (planchet prep and striking processes) are well known.

@FredWeinberg, I apologize for not taking you at your word, but not because I felt like I just brushed it off. I’ve been collecting for almost 25 years and not once ever, have I come across your name in any of my research. I’m absolutely 100% sure I would remember if I had, simply because my IQ of 162 allots me that ability. That being said, while others may take your word as undeniable truth, I will question you, not out of disrespect or disbelief, but to challenge you to explain your thoughts in greater detail so that I may gain a better understanding of how you came to said conclusion, based on the information you have been given, how you processed this information based on the variables to consider, and lastly why it is believed that your conclusion is in fact the only plausible answer to the question being posed.

>

I see one's IQ is as subject to inflation as the cost of goods and services.

The last guy I encountered who touted his supposed high IQ (also 162) was the author of a book that was full of ridiculous, erroneous claims because he'd never taken a course in physics and had no understanding of atmospheric processes or weather patterns. If you don't know your subject matter thoroughly, don't bother citing your IQ (actual or embellished)! It makes one look like a fool among those who understand error coins and how they're produced during the minting process.

Fred Weinberg is a published expert on error coins. I've known of him for many years, and I don't even have any interest in collecting error coins. He likely arrived at this conclusion from his, ahem, 'encyclopedic' knowledge of error coins and how they're produced in the minting process.
    >

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

Maybe the Op will come back in another year & a half and reply to our recent comments. ;):D

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2022 12:38AM

@JBK said:

Better might be: why do we come back?

Disgruntled for fifteen months? Fred, add security; tell him your IQ is average.

@BryceM said:
    Don’t feed the trolls guys. Just like bears in Yellowstone, it makes them come back.

He is not a troll, he takes this as important.

Lock this thread. I can’t stop parsing this tragicomedy.

His pics and text are ready for Craigslist.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

Maybe that extra quarter year reminded him of his quarter. ;)

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@humanssuck said:

Maybe it took his 162 IQ that long to remember his forum password?

IQ 162 makes you become wiser?
    Ignore a big IQ score, what many of them measure basically is abstract thinking and the ability to form relationships between seemingly unrelated terms.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here we go again. Just spend the coin and be done with it.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's all think about this and reconvene in another 16 months :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file