Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Bird/Johnson rookie help on grade

Opinions on grade please. Also does anyone think that getting this graded at the Nationals in Chicago give it a worst or better chance of getting a higher grade?

Comments

• Options

Also by the vertical dotted line that seperates Julius Erving and magic johnson there is a line at the bottom that appears to go at a 45 degree angle, THIS IS NOT A CREASE IN THE CARD, but on the case. The card does have print marks as seen between juluis erving and magic johnson along with some more to the right of magic johnson. I also attached 3 pictures.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2021 4:06PM

Nice card.

That print defect is well known. And tends to knock the card out of ‘high grade’ holders. Even PSA 5/6 gets a nice chunk of change these days, though, so if you don’t have a lot in the card money wise, sure, get it graded.

Edit: Fixed spelling

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭

i vote for a 6

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2021 7:47PM

Need higher res pics and out of the holder. But would be 6-8 range, and most likely 7 if the corners are good and no surface issues. Centering is good

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a 7 at best. Hard to tell the condition of the corners from the picts. Nice looking card regardless of the grade. I think the ink splatter on the white keeps it from getting better than a 7. I have seen 8's with the splatter but the corners need to be sharp.

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

I'll go with a 7, but will fetch on the high end if sold because of centering

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

Centering is really nice on this card. As others have mentioned -- the pictures aren't clear/sharp enough to determine overall grade (Corners, Surface, Edges).

With the excess black ink on the front (which happens alot), the highest you could get would be an 8 (I have seen 8's with about the same excess ink as yours). But then you go down from 8 depending on the other factors.

Assuming no issues on Corners, Surface, Edges -- I think an easy 7 with slight chance of a 7.5, long shot 8.

Put in another way -- if I saw this card in a holder with a grade under 7, I would say WOW, that is a really nice High End for the grade.

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

I'd say 6 max... lots of black ink, one dinged corner and a couple soft ones too.