Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Antique Ash Collector's Cabinet

jackpine20jackpine20 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭✭

What do you think of this Antique Ash Collector's Cabinet? I like to think it was originally owned by a Numismatist a century ago. Is this what is meant by the term "From the cabinet of a well-respected collector"? I'm not affiliated with The Harp Gallery, btw. I just thought this was cool.

Matt Snebold

Comments

  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 34,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Sounds a bit vague, but if you like it it looks great!

    Professional Numismatist, Retired. 55 year member ANA. Former ANA Senior Authenticator. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and ANA Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner of the PNG's 2026 Robert Friedberg Award for "The Enigmatic Lincoln Cents of 1922," Available now from Whitman or Amazon.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I don't collect ashes.

    Frank

    BHNC #203

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Expensive storage.....But a real nice cabinet. I have a couple of small coin cabinets I purchased on ebay many years ago (late nineties). Nothing like that one though. Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 25,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Way too high for "brown" furniture as far as I am concerned. Perhaps others will like it.

    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

    that would be neat with a real drawer at the top for misc stuff and a false front hiding the other drawers.

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 11,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Does it mention what the drawers are lined with (if lined at all)?

    "When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

  • Options
    ShipwreckCoinHunterShipwreckCoinHunter Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2021 9:35AM

    Hmm that’s a weirdly shaped coin. It has draws too 😂 is it minted in Philadelphia or Denver.
    Ow it’s just coin storage.

  • Options
    jackpine20jackpine20 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭✭

    Steven59, from the photos on their website, I think the drawers are not lined or finished. Raw wood and raw coins, to me, would spell trouble.

    Matt Snebold

  • Options
    jackpine20jackpine20 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭✭

    markelman1125, I was concerned, like you, that someone would see that this is not a coin. But coins are all I think about when I look at it. I promise to keep it clean from now on:)

    Matt Snebold

  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 10,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I like my coins locked up.

  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Will that offer the same protection as an SDB?

  • Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I have a mahogany cabinet similar to the one depicted. Mine, however has felt lined holes in it for different size coins. They are made by Peter Nichols and many sizes are available. They are expensive since they are solid mahogany and brass.

  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I like this one... not sure what they fetch or whether I would actually use it for its intended purpose. Nice cabinet

    Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file