Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Set Registry Drops Cards

At least once a year I have cards that just disappear from sets on the Registry. They are still in my inventory but are no longer in the set. When I go to add them I even have to request the spec number be associated with the slot. This is a royal PITA when you have sets that are over 4000 cards in size. Does this happen to anyone else?

Why does PSA keep having this issue? Years ago they claimed it was due to updates to the Registry.

Packers Fan for Life
Collecting:
Brett Favre Master Set
Favre Ticket Stubs
Favre TD Reciever Autos
Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
Football HOF Rc's

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jradke4 said:
    At least once a year I have cards that just disappear from sets on the Registry. They are still in my inventory but are no longer in the set. When I go to add them I even have to request the spec number be associated with the slot. This is a royal PITA when you have sets that are over 4000 cards in size. Does this happen to anyone else?

Why does PSA keep having this issue? Years ago they claimed it was due to updates to the Registry.

Do they then let those cards back in?

I have fought to have had cards put in, only to have them removed at a later date, have had cards that were in for years removed and have several cards, that are similar to cards in other players' sets, that were denied that should be in my Master Set.

I had to give up caring in order to not be angry about it. Now that grading prices are through the roof, I am beginning to care little or nothing about the registry. Not willing to spend hundreds of dollars just to get items in a set that was once (and still should be?) at #1.

My new attitude is simply that I enjoy collecting and never for a minute thought I actually had the finest set in existence.

I will continue to collect what I like and if I never get another item "slabbed".................so be it.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 909 ✭✭✭✭✭

I lost interest in trying to complete the Johnny Bench Master Set when PSA allowed 2 separate complete decks of playing cards into the Registry. I have multiples of both decks in sealed boxes and prefer to keep them that way. I'm not going to pay hundreds of dollars to get 104 playing cards graded. Absurd.

• Options

@redlegs said:
    I lost interest in trying to complete the Johnny Bench Master Set when PSA allowed 2 separate complete decks of playing cards into the Registry. I have multiples of both decks in sealed boxes and prefer to keep them that way. I'm not going to pay hundreds of dollars to get 104 playing cards graded. Absurd.

I am confused! How on earth do cards picturing Automobiles get in the Bench set when I can't get legitimate Killebrew cards in the Killebrew set? I didn't even get to the playing cards and couldn't believe those "Car" cards were in!

Secondly, do all those Bench playing cards have the same photo? I didn't see any of the 1977 Pepsi cards but saw a bunch of the 1978 "Sports Deck" cards. Two of the three of these Killebrew cards in my set were removed from the Master Set because they were too similar, even though they have different players listed on the fronts!

There really should be some consistency here!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Out of curiosity, why are there still ‘optional’ items?

Seems to me there are items added all the time right now that are very low pop that just slide right in and are required but in the past the meant optional.

I can’t get everything but I love the check listing aspect of it…

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@JoeBanzai I don't understand the argument to allow team cards in Master sets and not allow your scorebook card. Is PSA saying that this card is not listed in any of the guides? Yes, all of the Sportsdeck playing cards and Pepsi playing cards have the same Bench photo. I have never heard of this PSA argument before that "Two of the three of these Killebrew cards in my set were removed from the Master Set because they were too similar, even though they have different players listed on the fronts!". If they are using this argument then the playing cards should be removed as well as all of those 1971-72 Automotive cards with the same Rose/Bench photo but with different photos of cars.

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium In some cases cards used to be in the Master set but were moved to "Optional". In the case below for the 1968 Bench Cincinnati Reds picture pack PSA stopped grading this set. I believe the reason was that many of the cards were too similar to the 1967 Reds picture pack and they couldn't distinguish between the two sets. This is a poor decision for the Bench because he wasn't even in the 1967 Reds picture pack set. This card would still be in the master set but someone had tried to get this card graded and was turned down and later inquired as to why it was still listed in the set.

• Options
    edited July 19, 2021 8:42AM

@redlegs said:
    @JoeBanzai I don't understand the argument to allow team cards in Master sets and not allow your scorebook card. Is PSA saying that this card is not listed in any of the guides?

>
    I can see an argument either way on Team cards. Your player is (probably) on there, but it's not a "Bench" or "Killebrew" card it's a "Reds" or "Twins" card. I never for a minute thought they would be considered a players card, but I did get them, they were usually very inexpensive, and our guy is (probably) on there.

On the "Twins Scorebook" card, it's in a listed set, but PSA said it didn't say "Killebrew" anywhere on the card, so.........denied. Harmon is the only Twins player to ever wear the number "3" and it has been retired, so it HAS to be him.

There are at least two cards in the Babe Ruth Master set that don't say his name, they are in.

Yes, all of the Sportsdeck playing cards and Pepsi playing cards have the same Bench photo. I have never heard of this PSA argument before that "Two of the three of these Killebrew cards in my set were removed from the Master Set because they were too similar, even though they have different players listed on the fronts!". If they are using this argument then the playing cards should be removed as well as all of those 1971-72 Automotive cards with the same Rose/Bench photo but with different photos of cars.

>
    The 1967 Punch-out cards is a great (meaning horrible) story. I got one and liked it. Then found out there were a lot of variations in the set. Found two more Killebrew's (pretty expensive btw) got them graded, and when I tried to add them, was denied, PSA saying they weren't variations. Argued with PSA to no avail. I then contacted Tom Bartsch at Sports Collectors Digest, he contacted PSA telling them they WERE variations. PSA then allowed me to add them and somewhere down the line removed them! The differences here are on the front of the card, shouldn't that be more important than the back?

I would say the automobile cards should be out for sure, some do not even have the stamped picture on the back. Having the players name listed on the back means little. I knew a guy who collected every card that mentioned Killebrew on the reverse, shouldn't they be in a Killebrew set too? NO.

The playing cards do (kind of) qualify as they the players picture and name on the front, but as you can see by my punch-out example PSA certainly could decide to limit it to one card (or one card from each suit?) so that you didn't have to spend thousands of dollars to complete the set.

I have mixed feelings though, as I'm focused on the "Master" set. IMO that should represent everything the player appears on (although NOT if it's just his name on the reverse) during his career and possibly one year after. I never heard of an entire set of cards with the player on every card, that could be an "optional" item.

The one that REALLY boggles my mind is denying the Alpha Bits complete single serving box. Bazooka boxes are in Transogram boxes are in.

Post Cereal was a National card set issued for several years and the cards are in. Why not this box? I can't exactly remember their reasoning, I guess I just refused to acept that this didn't go in.

Finally here's another "White Whale" I picked up years ago that was in my set for a LONG time and unceremoniously removed;

I understand there are reasons on both sides of these debates, but the "rules" should be applied across the board for each player.

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Out of curiosity, why are there still ‘optional’ items?

Seems to me there are items added all the time right now that are very low pop that just slide right in and are required but in the past the meant optional.

I can’t get everything but I love the check listing aspect of it…

I am confused as well. If they decide the card qualifies to be graded doesn't that mean it should then qualify for the set?

I too do appreciate the cards showing up, but it's so inconsistent.

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@jradke4 said:

I have fought to have had cards put in, only to have them removed at a later date, have had cards that were in for years removed and have several cards, that are similar to cards in other players' sets, that were denied that should be in my Master Set.

I had to give up caring in order to not be angry about it. Now that grading prices are through the roof, I am beginning to care little or nothing about the registry. Not willing to spend hundreds of dollars just to get items in a set that was once (and still should be?) at #1.

My new attitude is simply that I enjoy collecting and never for a minute thought I actually had the finest set in existence.

I will continue to collect what I like and if I never get another item "slabbed".................so be it.

Yes they let the cards back in. Its like they get tossed from their database or something. Really annoying to have to keep up with. You would think by now they would have it figured out.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2021 9:26PM

@jradke4 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@jradke4 said:

Yes they let the cards back in. Its like they get tossed from their database or something. Really annoying to have to keep up with. You would think by now they would have it figured out.

I often wondered why when a league leader card was added to a players set why PSA didn't just add it to the other players on the card sets automatically.

• Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭

Sometimes when I send cards in for review, right before grades pop they disappear off my registry. They resurface after the sub is shipped. That's where I am now with 103 cards!

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@redlegs said:

@redlegs said:

wow