Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Restoring a *corroded* coin - now with pic

Coinman999Coinman999 Posts: 41
edited July 17, 2021 2:11PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I found a coin that I would love for my collection. It appears to be in XF condition except that the obverse has what looks like dozens of mold spots on it. Reverse looks good. Asking price is in the VG-Fine range.

Would you buy this coin in the hopes that an acetone soak would clear up the mold? I have zero experience with any kind of cleaning.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

A photo would help. What is it? You do different things with different metals.

• Options

I have no photo, but it is silver, covered with mold spots on the one side. Barber quarter.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you sure that mold is on the surface? Copper and silver ions are toxic to fungi.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options

Not an expert, but looks like mold to me. Tons of spots ... is there something else that might cause this type of damage?

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picture needed. What color is this "mold"? Could be corrosion, pvc, etc.

• Options

It is a dark grey. If Pvc is always green that that's not going to be it ... no hint of green.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is hard to say, some top mold you can remove, but imbedded mold it may be best to leave it alone.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2021 2:40PM

@Coinman999 said:
    It is a dark grey. If Pvc is always green that that's not going to be it ... no hint of green.

I doubt it is mold. It is likely corrosion which will not wash off with acetone. Removal would leave the coin pitted.

• Options

Was able to find a pic. Thoughts?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could be tarnish. A dip might remove it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    It could be tarnish. A dip might remove it.

I think a chemical reaction of some sort but I don’t think a dip would make it look any more natural.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2021 2:37PM

I think It will looked over dipped (cleaned) and there might be some smaller spots left behind after cleaning it. Especially if someone already tried to remove them if the spots were even darker to begin with which is what I’m thinking may have happened.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

PASS. It is a problem coin with an unknown (and very ugly) surface issue. Buying it will just make it your problem.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a good looking coin! Pass.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even dipped, that coin will have traces of the contamination/corrosion. Definite problem coin... I would not buy that one. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is that someone has already messed with it and it is highly unlikely it can be rescued.

Acetone is by far the safest but it only works on organic material. I doubt it will cure what ails it. But it won't hurt it.

Other restoration agents might help minimize the spotting (eZest, MS70, etc.) but you might find damage like etching below the spots. Furthermore, the coin surface might suffer and have a flat, lifeless appearance.

Best advice? Pass. There are plenty to more to choose from.
    Lance.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't imagine there's much of anything you could do to that coin that would make it look better.

JMO, YMMV

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

This might work

Just kidding 😉

Mr_Spud

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had coins like that dip fine. Ya never know unless you try. If it's cheap enough weigh your downside.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like normal spotting on a barber coin - probably ain't gonna get rid of it - pass

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those surfaces look messed with before the spotting, and now plenty of ugly spotting has been added. What makes this a coin you’d love rather than finding a nice problem-free example? Also, I doubt anything will make that coin look better.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's got an S on the back, send it in for professional conservation. If not, I like @amwldcoin Daryl's advice.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Find a better one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file