Home Sports Talk
Options

Tommy is not of this Earth

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reports are that Tom Brady played the entire 2020 season and playoffs with a completely torn MCL.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it science fiction? 🤔

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I know is he better be behind center on October 3rd whether he’s on one leg or two. B)

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2021 8:07AM

It is not unheard of to play with this injury, but his age and his level of success ( SB win) make it special. He was on the injury report a lot of the year with his knee. They just weren't going to be more specific because it would have had guys targeting him. Also, he is not the type who has to brag about being hurt and playing while it is happening.

Edited for word

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is where Stevek would have told us playing with a completely torn MCL is advantageous

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

As much as I want to believe this I refuse to believe he played every snap of the season with this injury.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is being widely reported. apparently it happened at some point in the 19 season with the Pats.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you perkdog for sanity.
    I would think that it's possible to have a partial tear, or strained medial collateral but not 'completely torn'. If it was torn, depending on the severity, you'd have no lateral stability and wouldn't be able to run.

Have a nice day
  • Options

@perkdog said:
    As much as I want to believe this I refuse to believe he played every snap of the season with this injury.

It might come down to a case of semantics. partial/full/strained/complete etc

• Options

@craig44 said:
    it is being widely reported. apparently it happened at some point in the 19 season with the Pats.

Which makes it even more tougher to believe, I mean Tampa Bay signed him for that big contract while the physical missed a torn meniscus or they just didn’t mind? I love Brady Craig but I’m saying no on this.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better check the cheat sheets

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

It might come down to a case of semantics. partial/full/strained/complete etc

I’m not saying he didn’t play through an injury in the Super Bowl or part of the season and it definitely adds to his legendary status but I have a hard time thinking it is exactly the way the media is reporting

• Options

@2dueces said:
    Better check the cheat sheets

7 - 0. You know what those numbers are Joe! 😂😂😂

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

A bit off the subject of Tom the GOAT, but didn't Mantle play his career with a torn acl after he tore it in his first season? Or is this just an urban myth?

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    He was on the injury report a lot of the year with his knee.

ESPN says he was never on the injury report this past year.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31826689/report-tampa-bay-buccaneers-qb-tom-brady-played-entire-season-torn-mcl

• Options

Some of that might be embellishment but you can still play with that injury. My son tore his MCL during a HS football game early in his senior season(on his birthday no less,) put the surgery off until the day after he graduated then sat for a couple weeks to rest,came back to play out most of his season as starting TE then played an entire season at Goalie for the Lacrosse team. Once he had surgery it healed up fine.

I kinda agree with Perk just from the fact that Tom went from one organization to another at 43yrs old while signing a 2yr 50M contract and nobody had an issue that he had a torn MCL?
    I believe he played despite it on his way to winning another Lombardi trophy,its just the story on how long he played on it and where it originated kind seems iffy.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@thisistheshow said:
    He was on the injury report a lot of the year with his knee.

ESPN says he was never on the injury report this past year.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31826689/report-tampa-bay-buccaneers-qb-tom-brady-played-entire-season-torn-mcl

Well, I stand corrected. Thank you. 👍

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:
    A bit off the subject of Tom the GOAT, but didn't Mantle play his career with a torn acl after he tore it in his first season? Or is this just an urban myth?

Sort of?

Mantle’s first knee injury came in his youth and while playing football as a high schooler. It was a severe enough injury to begin with and then it also got infected. And it was bad enough where the doctor in Commerce told Mutt, Mickey’s father, that they would need to amputate the leg in order to save his boy Mickey. Mutt refused to allow that and begged the doctor to find something else since Mickey was already a spectacular athlete and too young to be able to handle that. The doctor told Mutt to go north to another ‘big city’ hospital where the doctor thought they might have some of the new ‘miracle drug’ that was working wonders on sick patients across the country.

Penicillin.

It has literally ‘arrived’ in Oklahoma a few weeks before the injury. If it hadn’t…

…there is no Mickey Mantle.

He would reinjure the knee a few times in his career (and eventually, the other knee too),
    but perhaps none more famous than Game 2 of the 1951 World Series when his foot got stuck on a sprinkler cap and he collapsed clutching his knee and missed the rest of the series…

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium Sweet ticket Tim!!

• Options

@perkdog said:

Thanks, Paul.

That was one of those major moments in a career full of them. Some people even blamed DiMaggio for calling Mickey off late though I think that was bunk.

Mickey’s sort of my jam… 😁

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@perkdog said:

Thanks, Paul.

That was one of those major moments in a career full of them. Some people even blamed DiMaggio for calling Mickey off late though I think that was bunk.

Mickey’s sort of my jam… 😁

I’ve actually never hard that about Joltin Joe. And yes I can understand the Mick being your guy 🍻

• Options

still kickin myself over net betting on him when he joined, then when gronk joined and then again after Brown.

• Options
    edited July 18, 2021 7:20AM

Sure it sounds far fetched, but I think this actually could be true. I once heard that, like Superman, Tom Brady was discovered in a small capsule by two kind people who raised him as their own. Apparently he was from a distant planet where football was literally all consuming for the culture and he was basically their prophesied savior but he unfortunately did not arrive on this ‘football planet’ (scientifically known as Eliman) in time to save it. His parents, wanting their culture to survive, sent their only son to Earth to save their culture and their species and give their so a chance at life.

He came to Earth and was - in every sense - a Superman.

But everyone knows the Son of Krypton cannot handle kryptonite and sadly, the Son of Eliman is rendered completely ineffective by…

…Elimanning.

• Options

Sure it sounds far fetched, but I think this actually could be true. I once heard that, like Superman, Tom Brady was discovered in a small capsule by two kind people who raised him as their own. Apparently he was from a distant planet where football was literally all consuming for the culture and he was basically their prophesied savior but he unfortunately did not arrive on this ‘football planet’ (scientifically known as Eliman) in time to save it. His parents, wanting their culture to survive, sent their only son to Earth to save their culture and their species and give their so a chance at life.

But everyone knows the Son of Krypton cannot handle kryptonite and sadly, the Son of Eliman is rendered completely ineffective by…

…Elimanning.

"I know what it's like to lose. To feel so desperately that you're right, yet to fail nonetheless. It's frightening. Turns the legs to jelly. I ask you, to what end? Dread it. Run from it. Destiny arrives all the same. And now, it's here. Or should I say, I am."

Who worries about a single planet when you control the Universe? ;)

• Options

@erikthredd said:

…Elimanning.

"I know what it's like to lose. To feel so desperately that you're right, yet to fail nonetheless. It's frightening. Turns the legs to jelly. I ask you, to what end? Dread it. Run from it. Destiny arrives all the same. And now, it's here. Or should I say, I am."

How much control do you have when this can beat you?

Don’t answer.

It’s a trap…

• Options

@erikthredd said:

…Elimanning.

How much control do you have when this can beat you?

/\ /\ Eli’s Super Bowl Rings Bucket

\/ \/ \/ Tom’s Super Bowl Rings Bucket \/ \/ \/ \/ B)

• Options