Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A very interesting question about Grading.

Few photos and questions.
Two blank planchets identified like "Estonia"
So the question is why Estonia? Why not Austria, or France, or Latvia, or Portugal? How to recognize the Country?
And the final question.
If I will write in description like on the photo, do I get them with countries which are written?

Name: Mihail Božko From: Riga, Latvia Languages: Russian, English
WWW: My site
Main Numismatic Interests: The Baltic States, Euro coins, USSR, Modern Russia

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

No clue.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone who collects Estonia really care?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

The person who submitted them must have proven (?) to NGC that’s where they came from.

Maybe they were sent with other Estonia errors?

• Options
    MedveDMedveD Posts: 35 ✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Does anyone who collects Estonia really care?

Care or not doesn't matter.
    The question about attribution

• Options

@pruebas said:
    The person who submitted them must have proven (?) to NGC that’s where they came from.

Maybe they were sent with other Estonia errors?

I don't know. These planchets I saw on auction:

https://coins.ee/lot/show/28667

https://coins.ee/lot/show/28668

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2021 8:42PM

Why would a plank planchet be a mint error.......it wasn't even struck yet.

Who's mint?.. Estonia's mint? I didn't even know they had a mint!

Unless it has something to do with the weight.

• Options

"Why would a plank planchet be a mint error" - probably because "by mistake" appears in roll without struck
    "Who's mint?.. Estonia's mint? I didn't even know they had a mint!" - as I understand "Estonia" doesn't mean mint, it means Estonian coin I think
    The usual weight of euro coins is 3.92g for 5 euro cents and 8.5g for 2 euro coins.

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm outta here.......DELETE!

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2021 11:09AM

@USSID17 said:
    Why would a plank planchet be a mint error.......it wasn't even struck yet.

Who's mint?.. Estonia's mint? I didn't even know they had a mint!

Unless it has something to do with the weight.

Both PCGS and NGC attribute blank planchets as mint errors as a matter of course.

• Options

@Sapyx said:
    To USSID and others who are struggling with this Topic: the question is not "are these mint errors", the question is, "How did NGC determine that these are Estonian coin planchets, when they are Euro coin planchets and every single Euro-issuing country uses coins (and therefore planchets) with the exact same specifications? Are NGC relying on the submitter's information that they are from a specific country?

And that is probably a question best directed at NGC, rather than here on the PCGS boards.

Exactly! This topic posted also on the NGC forum

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

To answer this question as best as I can: I don't believe they can rely on any external, objective tests or measurements. Half of the Euro coin issuers usually source their blanks from the same place (the South Korean company, Poongsan Corporation), so all the blanks from those countries at least (Cyprus, France, Latvia, Lithuania, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovenia and Spain) will be identical in every practical way, since they are all made at the same time from the same source materials. Coin blanks sourced from other companies ought to be functionally identical too, as Euro specifications need to match precisely (for vending machine validation, etc).

Assigning a country at all to Euro coin blanks seems problematic. Perhaps the slabbing companies should label all such coin blanks as generic "Eurozone" rather than as being from specific countries.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options

@Sapyx said:
    Assigning a country at all to Euro coin blanks seems problematic. Perhaps the slabbing companies should label all such coin blanks as generic "Eurozone" rather than as being from specific countries.

You are absolutely right! I agree, but better writing nothing. Because some countries exist which are not in the eurozone, but they use euros. Just "Blank planchet from 2 euro" for example.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.