Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Cool 8 Reales hoard

Not too much info on it, but I'm following up.

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really cool, hopefully more info surfaces.

• Options
    jdmernjdmern Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

That's awesome

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

eye... yie yie .....sounds like a double upgrade !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a find, how do you top that in a lifetime of searching?

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Need to dust off my metal detector!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2021 10:41AM

Wow - Great stuff - for the sound of the voice, seems that it is from Peru (guessing - but can be Chile or Argentina, for one of the expression that he uses).

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing find!!

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChopmarkedTrades said:
    What a find, how do you top that in a lifetime of searching?

They're all Pillars instead of Portraits.

thefinn
  • Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:

Actually, you did remind me of one discovery that does top it - the discovery of the 17 1770-No (Bogota) Pillar 8Rs in the forgotten cornerstone of the Nuestra Señora del Pilar convent, dedicated the same year the coins were struck. The building had burned in 1948 during riots, was covered over by a parking lot, then accidentally rediscovered in 2006 by a construction crew when the site was being redeveloped. They're all MS coins, some PL, and it represents the entire population of the date; the issue was unknown before this accidental discovery.

• Options

@ChopmarkedTrades said:

@thefinn said:

Actually, you did remind me of one discovery that does top it - the discovery of the 17 1770-No (Bogota) Pillar 8Rs in the forgotten cornerstone of the Nuestra Señora del Pilar convent, dedicated the same year the coins were struck. The building had burned in 1948 during riots, was covered over by a parking lot, then accidentally rediscovered in 2006 by a construction crew when the site was being redeveloped. They're all MS coins, some PL, and it represents the entire population of the date; the issue was unknown before this accidental discovery.

I wish I had had the cash to be in on the auction where a couple of the MS64 pieces sold. $50k is very cheap for such a rare coin.

thefinn
  • Options
    DeiGratiaDeiGratia Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

@thefinn said:

@ChopmarkedTrades said:

@thefinn said:

I wish I had had the cash to be in on the auction where a couple of the MS64 pieces sold. $50k is very cheap for such a rare coin.

You’re in luck.
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/colombia/world-coins/charles-iii-8-reales-1770-nr-vj-ms64-ngc-/p/3093-65002.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

• Options

@DeiGratia said:

@thefinn said:

@ChopmarkedTrades said:

@thefinn said:

You’re in luck.
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/colombia/world-coins/charles-iii-8-reales-1770-nr-vj-ms64-ngc-/p/3093-65002.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

What is the value on such a coin?

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

What is the value on such a coin?

Make note of the dates of sale.

• Options
    edited September 10, 2021 8:27PM

So about 70k to 90k?

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably more given the recent market.

• Options

What historic coins. I think there are only 12 pillar dollars from Colombia, and all but 2-4 are in museums.
    By far the rarest mint, followed by Santiago, Chile.

thefinn
  • Options
    edited September 11, 2021 6:02PM

Time to sell the house hahaha!! Go big or go home wait a second I have no more home.