Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wilson Philippines so-called dollar - Gilt Bronze

jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 12, 2021 6:15PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Listed in silver and bronze (HK-449, HK450) but not in gilt bronze.

Comments

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've handled a couple that have been gilded. I've never seen any research that proves that it was done at the Mint or ordered done by the Mint. John Raymond does not list a gilt in his extensive list of unlisted So-Called $s.

• Options

@tokenpro said:
    I've handled a couple that have been gilded. I've never seen any research that proves that it was done at the Mint or ordered done by the Mint. John Raymond does not list a gilt in his extensive list of unlisted So-Called $s.

Yes, I don't know either. I was contacted by someone researching the issue who wanted a weight on it. He did not, however, supply me any further information.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

That went for some serious $$. I was following, but got left in the dust . . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could easily been done long after it was minted. I'm amazed collectors will bid on items like this.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth said:
    It could easily been done long after it was minted. I'm amazed collectors will bid on items like this.

Well, the bronze medal alone only had 3700 minted and some were dumped.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A little bit of mystery (where, when, who applied gilt) adds to the attraction of the piece....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

I was stationed at Clark Air Base, Philippines in 1972 and 1973. I would often wander the small shops and many of them had small baskets holding older coins for sale. There were many counterfeit one peso coins, well worn real ones and some that had been polished with a wire brush to make them pretty and shiny. I saw some painted chrome color and some with nail polish dots. It would not surprise me for someone to gild a coin or two if they had the ability to do it cheap and then try to sell it as gold. I did pick up quite a few in the VF/XF range for $3 to $4 US each. I also played the 5 centavo slot machines and took my winnings back to the dorm to go through for my date set so I got a lot of different ones that way.

When you are poor you do what ever you can do to make your goods worth more (i.e. working ladies in the bars with much exaggerated chest due to wads of tissue, same concept).

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:
    That went for some serious $$. I was following, but got left in the dust . . . . .

Z

Sold for $2,025:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353564261039?

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read the thread title and thought it was Wilson Phillips…

I like the reverse. That style of imagery was very popular at the time.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing price.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2021 11:52AM

My research indicates Adrey Beebe had Copper Wilsons plated and sold them on his mail lists. !950's thru 60's
    If you don't know who Beebe was do a google search.
    Big donater to the ANA. quite famous collector/dealer.
    A number of Silver plated coppers out there. They appear ever so often and know one has a clue. , Beware.
    I have examples of all of them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file