Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1911 / 1917 Mexico - USMC Marines "For Service" medal - information needed

ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

1911 / 1917 Mexico - USMC Marines "For Service" medal

I've been trying to research and find out more information on this USMC service medal. It's dated 1911-1917 and denoted for service in "Mexico." It's unusually thick, coming in at 3.5mm. Kind of a "piedfort" planchet.

I don't usually run across Armed Forces strikes, so when this one came up on my radar, I had to pick it up.

Anyone know where I can get additional information on it?

Thanks in advance.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not seen that one before. Nice memorabilia for militaria collectors. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go to:
    U.S. militaria forum

Usmilitariaforum.com

Have a nice day
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@coinsarefun said:
    This is pretty cool looking. I like the water depiction. It also looks double struck or clashed die.

I'm tending towards double struck as I'm not seeing anything on the obverse that would imprint a clash like that.

I need to check a couple other similar pieces I have seen to see if possibly the reverse may be a clash from an alternate obverse.

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

@streeter said:
    Go to:
    U.S. militaria forum

Usmilitariaforum.com

Many thanks for the reference . . . . !

Z

• Options

@coinsarefun said:
    This is pretty cool looking. I like the water depiction. It also looks double struck or clashed die.

Steph,

Now I am on the clashed dies side, but not with the obverse from this medal.

I found a similar medal from the same time frame with the same reverse. It appears to have the same clash Mark's but with this one, the obverse matches the clashes.

Take a look.

What do you think?

Z

• Options

I found a couple more that look like they were issued in the same time frame.

Z

And then this pair of Navy / USMC service medals from the China Relief Expedition.

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

On many military medals the third side holds the key - many have been re-issued and are not period. Quite a bit of info is available on line but you can always buy a copy of Vernon or join OMSA.

https://omsa.org/

• Options

Awaiting approval to join the OMSA forums. Found my own example of the Nicaraguan For Service medal that I picked up and wanted to store the images here.

Z

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file