Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Grading fees at the National.

Only $100 to re-holder a card at the National??? What a bargain!!! I knew I should have gotten my VIP tickets purchased before they sold out.

Comments

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

$250 express and get back before the end of the show isnt bad.

$50 cheaper than mailing. sure this well get “sold out” by friday.

• MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

so your choices regarding getting a card reholdered are: spend 100, get same day....no shipping costs or worry about post office losing card....or spend 10 and wait a year

• Historicalwood71Historicalwood71 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

I'll spend a 100 only in writing that my next order will be discounted. Unbelievable!

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2021 1:04AM

@MantleFan23 said:
    so your choices regarding getting a card reholdered are: spend 100, get same day....no shipping costs or worry about post office losing card....or spend 10 and wait a year

As crazy as it sounds for 2-3 cards.....this is probably worth it. Sending in the mail expensive cards and then waiting a year is simply crazy. I did about 8 reholders in the past and 2 were damaged. One seriously. Luckily the guys 1st name was Mickey....not good. If there's a problem, you could deal with it right there hopefully.

• balco758balco758 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forgive my silly question, but what drives all the “re-holder” subs? Is it old flips with scratches? The new security? I have many older slabs but between the cost and the time it isn’t doesn’t occur to me to care enough to do re-subs. What am I missing?

@balco758 said:
    Forgive my silly question, but what drives all the “re-holder” subs? Is it old flips with scratches? The new security? I have many older slabs but between the cost and the time it isn’t doesn’t occur to me to care enough to do re-subs. What am I missing?

A couple were mis-labeled and 3-4 had small cracks. The Mantle had a crack.

• GOBUCKSGOBUCKS Posts: 47 ✭✭

@balco758 said:

Mainly to get them into the new holders. There is a lot of poorly graded cards that do not appear to be as strong as their grades are, so the newer holders bring a premium. The newer holders bring some security enhancements along with a nicer looking flip.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me I have two cracked holders - they will stay cracked at $100.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GOBUCKS said:

@balco758 said:

Mainly to get them into the new holders. There is a lot of poorly graded cards that do not appear to be as strong as their grades are, so the newer holders bring a premium. The newer holders bring some security enhancements along with a nicer looking flip.

Don't reholder subs reuse the same cert numbers?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2021 9:21AM

@MantleFan23 said:

Or cross it over somewhere and get back in 2-3 months. Doing this now with a 88 Jordan All Star PSA 8 that I sold and got cracked in shipping. First damage return, as I pack the crap out of these things....no idea how it could have happened,

• tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

Yes they do use the same cert. I was just stunned. Unless you have a very valuable card it isn't anywhere worth the cost. They are basically saying we no longer want to re-holder your cards. This is a necessary service and it needs to be kept at a realistic price and turnaround time for collectors. Period!! You are reaping the benefits of being the #1 grading company so do what's right by your customers.

its supply and demand. they are capitalizing on the impatient. after all a reholder uses the same equipment that a $300, $250, $200 level does. its also takes precious time away from the backlog problem. honestly, i dont blame them. its a business. i have a 20+ stack of cards that are mech errors and/or need to be reholdered. not even gonna consider sending them off for a year or paying $100 a pop. i’ll wait.

• balco758balco758 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2021 4:22AM

I have a few cards that appear to be over graded. And vise-versa.

Respectfully, I have no interest in spending money and time for PSA to fix their error. Buy the card, not the holder.

Aesthetically nicer holder I get; just not worth it for me.

• tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

Crazy man!...2 years ago at National I spent a whopping $30 to re-holder a pair of 59 Mantles...Now I wanted to do that so I had the new fancy hologram holders..But for $200 to do the same thing, forget it!!! It will be interesting to see the line at PSA this year compared to 2019. If longer, then PSA is making a killing!!!

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mickey71 said:

@balco758 said:

The customer does not pay anything to reholder a mislabeled card. Those are free, sent in under mech. error.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@balco758 said:

Sometimes, it’s to have it ‘done right’ when it comes to certain cards as it can impact its value. I don’t really collect by value but I don’t ignore it either. This beautiful card shows up as a PSA 1 in my registry set:

The card is probably a PSA 5 or 6. The signature is a ball point of considerable beauty and incredible well placed - I would call it ‘10’ caliber.

So the Dual Flip that says PSA 5 and PSA/DNA 10 is probably going to be more attractive to the next guy since there’s a 90% chance they’re a PSA registry participant anyway.

So, that’s another possible reason to re-holder.

Right now, I have things I could send - a few where the price point could even be close to appropriate - but at this point I am passing on sending to Newport Beach for a while. They have plenty to grade already and I send in 1-10 cards at a time and have never been able to pay anything but full freight. As they can better handle and turnaround orders, I’ll jump back in. It’s not animosity based or anything like that - I love the service and the look of the finished product. Just not more than having two working kidneys - they’re important to me also. 😉

Since I had been on the fence about attending the 2021 National, this made the decision to skip it altogether that much easier.

So 2022 it is…
    Put your make up on,
    Fix your hair up pretty,
    And meet me tonight in Atlantic City…

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Totally with you. I was gonna go for the entire show but now I am just on the fence regarding even going one day as my wife still wants to go to Chicago and get her pizza fix.

• I wanna know how the hell everyone will deal with waiting in line for hours.

find a man washing windows out front, buy his admission ticket, offer him a couple bucks w a good lunch & return when he gets towards the front. go enjoy the show.

edited July 16, 2021 3:18AM

@miwlvrn said:

@Mickey71 said:

@balco758 said:

The customer does not pay anything to reholder a mislabeled card. Those are free, sent in under mech. error.

Yes, I did not pay for those....until they bent the Mantle card on reholder and then I paid big time. Was not a wonderful experience.

I would be beyond pissed! :s