Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Memory Lane Auction...'33 Goudy Ruth $4.2 million and '52 Mantle $2.1 million (Records)!!

mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

1973 Mike Schmidt RC PSA-9 sold for $15,100, and 1975 George Brett RC PSA-9, for $8,500.

mint_only_pls

Comments

• picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Damn !
    Never knew 9's were that high.

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2021 5:30AM

Lou Brock RC PSA-8.5 sold for $5137...I paid $125 raw for a Brock RC at the National in Atlanta in the early 1990s then submitted it to PSA a few years ago and it came back a PSA-8.5.

mint_only_pls
  • jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    Lou Brock RC PSA-8.5 at $4600...I paid $125 raw at the National in Atlanta in the early 1990s then submitted to PSA a few years ago and it came back a PSA-8.5.

I was at that National. Still have the giveaways from a few sponsors. I remember buying mint commons from the King of the commons, I can’t remember his name.

I remember seeing Spike Lee there...great stuff. I do not believe the National has been back to Atlanta since.

mint_only_pls
    edited July 11, 2021 11:21AM

RCs did extremely well in this auction...Seaver RC PSA-9 sold for $23,500!

mint_only_pls
    edited July 11, 2021 11:21AM

Mantle cards did well too...1959 Mantle PSA-9 sold for $111,000! A new record for the grade!!!!!

mint_only_pls
  • jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2021 3:15PM

Bill Henderson was the “king of the commons”. Dicky V was a paid speaker at the Action Packed debut.

• picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

I was at Atlanta show too..
    Thats when promo cards would sell quickly. But I remember lots of people said not a lot of $$ spent.
    Still had a good time.

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Brett and Schmidt cards at double VCP average selling price does not make sense in this auction. Irrational exuberance or something else going on, and I think they are nice examples but seems to me something else is afoot. You can buy examples just as nice on eBay right now for 1000’s less, and neither one in MLI will bump to a 10. Brett has a huge purple fish eye on his right arm and the Schmidt has print on the left side. Smells like early February all over again. Just my two cents - your mileage may vary.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    RCs are doing extremely well in this auction...Seaver RC PSA-9 is at $23,500!

theres a really good looking one coming up at platinum night. 😉

edited July 11, 2021 12:28AM

This might be a record for a multi-player card:

1958 World Series Batting Foes (Mantle/Aaron) PSA-9...$37,000!

mint_only_pls

@mintonlypls said:
    This might be a record for a multi-player card:

1958 World Series Batting Foes (Mantle/Aaron) PSA-9...$27,500!

jeeze! i have a severely undergraded 4:

• DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Blurry 4 > PSA 9

Instagram: mattyc_collection

edited July 11, 2021 5:32AM

1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA-8 from "Mr Mint Find" sold for $2,100,000. Is this a record for an 8?

mint_only_pls

I noticed that the letters "M" and "Y" in the facsimile autograph on the 1952 Mantle is different than the way Mantle signed years later.

mint_only_pls

Blurry 5.5 > PSA 8

edited July 11, 2021 9:21AM

@mintonlypls said:
    I noticed that the letters "M" and "Y" in the facsimile autograph on the 1952 Mantle is different than the way Mantle signed years later.

Yes, Mantle's signature evolved over the years— early ones are naturally harder to find, and later ones have those stylish iconic M's we all know so well, so it's a win whichever style auto one can grab on a card. In fact some autos have early iterations of those M's, which are more "loopy" for lack of a better term. Cool to study and hunt down different looking examples.

edited July 11, 2021 9:29AM

definitely evolved 😉

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2021 10:02AM

Hope this does not start an increase in multi-player cards. While I have a lot of them - my project to get all of them that have at least one HOF will get expensive. I do have a World Series Batting Foes that was the pride of my collection as a teenager - would probably grade a 7 today - hunted for a nice one for years at every show I went to before finally finding one I liked. This card was my first white whale in the pre internet days where it was much tougher to find something you were looking for.

edited July 11, 2021 10:48AM

Other notable sales include:

1933 Goudy Ruth #53 psa-9 $4,200,000+
    1954 Ted Williams #1 psa-8.5 $53,000+ (Record)
    1956 Mantle psa-8.5 $29,725
    1958 Mays psa-8 $7,975
    1958 Mantle psa-9 $68,250 (Record)
    1959 Koufax psa-9 $15,500

mint_only_pls
  • Mo_MentumMo_Mentum Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:
    The Brett and Schmidt cards at double VCP average selling price does not make sense in this auction. Irrational exuberance or something else going on, and I think they are nice examples but seems to me something else is afoot. You can buy examples just as nice on eBay right now for 1000’s less, and neither one in MLI will bump to a 10. Brett has a huge purple fish eye on his right arm and the Schmidt has print on the left side. Smells like early February all over again. Just my two cents - your mileage may vary.

Of course it makes sense. The cards are "increasing in value" exponentially, because the overabundance of cash being used to buy the cards is decreasing in purchasing power with inverse proportion, necessitating more and more dollars for exchange. It's how the cost for a loaf of bread can rise from 20 cents to $20 million dollars.

Which is why now it takes a few bushel full of cash to buy a card that you could have paid for with what was in your wallet a few years ago. As the amount of money increases, it's value will continue to decrease. The cards are a finite amount. Thus more and more dollars will be needed for their purchase.

Hey Chris...

I looked those up...very nice pick ups! Beautiful cards...congrats! Prices were very strong in this auction...our hobby is doing very well.

mint_only_pls
  • PSA9sPSA9s Posts: 22 ✭✭

What's the over/under on how many dealers at the National will use this Memory Lane auction for comps on their vintage cards. 350?

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    Other notable sales include:

1933 Goudy Ruth #53 psa-9 $4,200,000+
    1954 Ted Williams #1 psa-8.5 $53,000+ (Record)
    1956 Mantle psa-8.5 $29,725
    1958 Mays psa-8 $7,975
    1958 Mantle psa-9 $68,250 (Record)
    1959 Koufax psa-9 $15,500

The 1958 Mays was probably the most underrated card in the auction. 99% of all 7's and 8's look awful. I'm serious. Most 7's look like 5's and 8's look like 6's. This PSA 8 was simply the best 8 I've ever seen. Unreal centering and very nice print quality.

The National will be interesting...

mint_only_pls
  • CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

@PSA9s said:
    What's the over/under on how many dealers at the National will use this Memory Lane auction for comps on their vintage cards. 350?

Can you imagine how Ken Goldin would have been on social media had this been his auction?

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    @mintonlypls - hey Monte. Alot of eye candy in this auction. I was able to land the 33 Goudey Ruth #144 PSA 7 and the 1910 E98 Red Ty Cobb PSA 9.

Great pickups. That ruth is a beauty.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PSA9s said:

Why would they not use it? No different than citing VCP or eBay for a recent sale as a buyer or seller to value a card. Isn’t that what comps are - recent sales? Not to mention everyone in this thread and other threads on different boards have been doing the same thing.

• IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:

@PSA9s said:

Why would they not use it? No different than citing VCP or eBay for a recent sale as a buyer or seller to value a card. Isn’t that what comps are - recent sales? Not to mention everyone in this thread and other threads on different boards have been doing the same thing.

You better believe dealers will use the Memory Lane results, for they constitute current market price. What are they supposed to do, wait for the next issue of Sports Collectors Digest to tout that auction's prices? Will Sports Market Report crank out an issue for the National that will include Memory Lane's results? I doubt they could. By the time the next Beckett Vintage comes out, the National will be over. Even if they rushed the deadline for a National issue, there wouldn't be enough editorial space to work through all the prices realized. Therefore, dealers will indeed make use of the Memory Lane auction results ...

On a different level, I was intrigued by a few of the Mickey Mantle prices:

• The way the bids just "took off" during the extended bidding on that Mr. Mint find '52 Topps Mantle

• LOT 570--- The high grade 1959 Bazooka complete box with that gorgeous Mantle card went for $21,494. It was actually ungraded, but had it been PSA-graded, I think it would have achieved an even higher result.

• LOT 577--- The 1960 Home Run Derby Mantle in PSA 6 went for only $18,830. THAT was a bargain.

• LOT 504--- The 1954 Wilson Franks Ted Williams in PSA 6.5 achieved a strong $35,264. Recently, the PSA Price Guide staff adjusted the valuations sharply up across the board for this card. The realized price is even a little higher than PSA's new valuation.

• LOT 491--- The unique for the grade 1953 Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle in PSA 7 (second-highest graded) achieved a very strong $68,125. That's a 217% increase from when it was last sold in the fall of '15.

I would think it is high time for the PSA Price Guide staff to readjust their valuations for the '53 Stahl-Meyer Mantle across the board as well, in particular the lone PSA 9 should be assessed the same value as the lone Wilson Franks Ted Williams PSA 9. Nowhere near as many people collect the Stahl-Meyer Franks set, but there's a mass of people that collect Mickey Mantle. For reference, there are currently 52 participants in the Ted Williams PSA Master Set Registry, while the PSA Master Set Registry of Mickey Mantle sports 173 registrants. See what I mean? The appearance of the Wilson Ted Williams is mesmerizing, but so is the Stahl-Meyer Mantle, BY FAR. The background story of the Stahl-Meyers is enchanting and captivating.

Ironically, the find from whence both of these unique 1 of 1 PSA 9 MINT cards trace to BOTH involved a collector / dealer who gravitated to the immediate postwar regional / food cards. HIs name was Mr. Jack Urban, former a Wisconsin school teacher who used to set up at shows in the Midwest in the 1970-80s. Back in 2010, I interviewed him at length for my book, Never Cheaper By the Dozen. He had some mighty fascinating and intriguing stories to tell ...

Well, thanks for an interesting thread. ---- Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)