Home Autographs Forum
Options

Autographed Mickey Mantle trading card

Comments

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks off

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who knows?

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

Thread on main card msg board reveals as likely reprint and fake auto (including an eBay listing for the same card as reprint/facsimile: https://www.ebay.com/itm/363316117326)

Jim

• Options
    Mo_MentumMo_Mentum Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

Here's the thread in another section of this forum. Already discussed and identified as reprint card, faux signature.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1059938/autographed-mickey-mantle-now-what#latest

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mo_Mentum said:
    Here's the thread in another section of this forum. Already discussed and identified as reprint card, faux signature.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1059938/autographed-mickey-mantle-now-what#latest

Good work on that other thread.

Someone is scamming someone (or trying to).

• Options

@JBK said:

@Mo_Mentum said:

Good work on that other thread.

Someone is scamming someone (or trying to).

Typically, the main tell of flim-flam is the story itself. The unusually lengthy but totally uncalled for explanation. The bunko artists think that more is better when it comes to slinging the BS, rather than strategically restricting their liberally applied oleo of BS to a precise, few elements.

They include language like, "Of course I'm going to take care of this poor, grieving widow, so the legacy of her dear departed husband will be honored, may he rest in peace, his eternal soul now seated beside the All Mighty in Heaven...... yatta, yatta, yatta", etc., etc.

There will typically be more of a history lesson of baseball and Mickey Mantle's place in it, rather than simply letting the item speak for itself and/or containing language is the description section to the card and signature itself, like condition and where signed. This is because knowing the item is pure junk the bunko artist oversells. The baffle them with BS sales tactic.

Before I even judge the piece, look closely at an image, judging by the "story", I can pretty much ID flim-flam just based on the spiel.

• Options

Yes, too much extraneous detail is a bad sign. It muddies the waters, and for a reason. I suppose it is the linguistic version of the old shell game

• Options

@JBK said:
    Yes, too much extraneous detail is a bad sign. It muddies the waters, and for a reason. I suppose it is the linguistic version of the old shell game

When I'm at a show and ask for the backstory about an obvious forgery, sometimes I can't keep a straight face and start chuckling midway through the lies. Some will get defensive and double down on the lies, others know when it's time to hold and time to fold. Always added fun when anachronisms occur. Ether a piece manufactured or signed with an implement manufactured after the signor died. Still always good for a laugh. :D

• Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mo_Mentum said:

@JBK said:

When I'm at a show and ask for the backstory about an obvious forgery, sometimes I can't keep a straight face and start chuckling midway through the lies. Some will get defensive and double down on the lies, others know when it's time to hold and time to fold. Always added fun when anachronisms occur. Ether a piece manufactured or signed with an implement manufactured after the signor died. Still always good for a laugh. :D

I got a good story to tell you about a fake John Lennon autograph being sold at a flea market for $1200. Will tell story later today in a separate thread as it would be kind of off topic here.

• Options
    edited July 20, 2021 2:52PM

@JMS1223 said:

@Mo_Mentum said:

@JBK said:

I got a good story to tell you about a fake John Lennon autograph being sold at a flea market for $1200. Will tell story later today in a separate thread as it would be kind of off topic here.

That's a good idea for a new thread - autograph collecting stories. :)