Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

WNBA Cards

scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

Have any of you guys been following what is going on with WNBA cards? For years, you could hardly give them away. Now, the high grade top rookies are going for thousands, while much of the NBA/MLB market has cooled off. GOOD. As with the Mia Hamm SI card, it's about time women's sports started getting its due.

Any WNBA collectors or fans here?

And if you're coming here to talk trash about the WNBA or women's athletics in general, please save your smallminded trolling for YouTube comments.

2.5 is pretty much my speed.

Comments

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Agree with everything you said. Definitely an under-served branch of the hobby. I've got some Della Donne and Taurasi rookies at PSA. Plan to take a good look when they come back slabbed and see if I feel like those are PC or sale items. Could go either way at the moment.

Someone on this board showed a Babe Zarahias card awhile back and it really blew my mind - I essentially spent the next month making a database of every exceptional female athlete I could think of and their rookie cards. BTW I think pre Williams Sisters tennis cards have some room to move, in case anyone out there is still buying to grade and flip.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not really a basketball or soccer fan, but I have been picking up women's lacrosse cards when I can find them. The problem is that there is just so little out in the market. I'm hoping that Topps does an Athletes Unlimited set this year like they did with softball.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

I collect WNBA rookies, but I'm also into college cards of HOFers and future HOFers like these:

The Taurasi is one that I self submitted. I also have a Dawn Staley Virginia card at PSA now.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

I've got most of the major rookies, now it's a matter of getting the raw ones slabbed and the lower-graded ones upgraded. I have some Bird, Taurasi, & Stewarts at PSA right now, so we'll see how those shake out.

@shagrotn77 Those cards are awesome. I've kept my eye open for one of those Conn Taurasi cards, but that's a $lippery $lope to start down! ;)

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

@shagrotn77 I've been hoping to see that Taurasi 10 at some point - AMAZING!! Great stuff you've got there.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

LA and New York teams average less than 1,000 fans per game. I'm not sure how they can afford to turn on the lights. To rent one of these facilities must be pretty pricey. then the refs, security, scorekeepers, janitors. I would assume that these Organizations are bleeding money.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2021 8:01AM

@olb31 said:
    LA and New York teams average less than 1,000 fans per game. I'm not sure how they can afford to turn on the lights. To rent one of these facilities must be pretty pricey. then the refs, security, scorekeepers, janitors. I would assume that these Organizations are bleeding money.

Per my first post, I'd like to keep this about WNBA cards, not people's opinions on the success or validity of the league. Thanks. :)

And to keep with that, here's a card.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

the average attendance is not my opinion.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options

The average attendance is not the topic.

• Options
    Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭

Here's a few I've got:

• Options

@Autos4Alex Those are great! Did you get most/all of those in person yourself?

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

dont collect wnba cards but have a pretty nice stash of lady golfers ranging from babe zaharias to wie. few tennis cards too. think i even have a bruce jenner card somewhere. bazinga.

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

The legend.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    bruin805bruin805 Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

I PC Katie Lou Samuelson and also collect players that went to UCLA. I'm also putting together a mini subset of WNBA players whose fathers played in the NBA.

• Options

Katie Lou might end up being a pretty good bet in a couple years, @bruin805 She's really stepped up her game this year and is becoming a more complete player.