Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA Grading Service Levels Per Price Tiers

Hi, I submitted some cards for Express 30 day grading in early March when the market was hot for the sole purpose of getting a few specific cards back before the market cooled down (why else would anyone pay 130 dollars extra per card?). PSA received the order March 16th, but PSA used a 'Date Entered' date of May 3rd. (It's like Dominos calculating the 30 minutes from when they put the pizza in the oven and not when the pizza is ordered) I then canceled the order in June when I lost patience and did not want to pay $150 per card for a lower level of actual service as the market was cooling off (was approaching closer to 90 days in my opinion). I received multiple cancellation confirmations over email and even spoke to someone on the phone about this so the cancellation attempt appeared successful, and yet a few weeks later, PSA processed the order anyways and charged me for Express level. So couple things. Does PSA think they can just call any service whatever they want and charge whatever they want? Can they ignore their own cancellation agreement? Apparently so. I have some value orders still pending that are not due for another 3-4 months, so I am at a loss what to do here, but I feel like disputing the up charge for a service level I did not receive. The fact I also cancelled makes the situation even more puzzling. I emailed them back about this and they told me tough luck and told me that I did not cancel in time. Anyone ever experience anything like this? I did receive the cards back graded (fortunately only 4 cards total for $629 after shipping), but I feel like I should get about 500 bucks back. I understand things are backed up right now, but is that my problem?

Comments

• Options

there is no specified turnaround time on the service levels. express means something different in different people's eyes. fedex it means a day or two. PSA it lately means 3-4 months. Also, when you sent in your order and filed out the submission form , it stated at the top that entry delays were running up to 14 weeks. you should have been well aware of the the service you were going to receive. they never stated that express was going to be back to like you like fedex

as for the cancelation, I can't comment on that one.

• Options

Fair point. Thanks for your reply.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent some stuff in after the prices went up some, but before the big jump.

They should have gotten done in time for me to add them to my Master set, but did not.

I am not sure about cancelling orders, but turnaround times have pretty much never been guaranteed in any way.

Did you at least get the grades you were looking for?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not a great one for submissions...I just don't do that many.....but when things started to go haywire and prices started to rise, I just figured that like everyone else at the time, there were going to be multiple COVID issues that would slow things down to a crawl. At that point, I just chose to stay away and wait til this died down. I didn't have anything "hot" that I was looking to turn around quickly. For those that expected PSA to turn things around quickly in spite of the looming pandemic situation, your expectations were just not realistic. I also believe that PSA should have been more open with the situation much earlier in the process. Instead they left people hanging on for months when they knew they wouldn't be able to live up to expectations.

• Options

Fair point. Thanks for your reply.

• Options

Yes I have to take some blame on rolling the dice. That said, PSA ignoring their on cancellation confirmation just shows how overtaxed and disjointed they are right now

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulyB123 said:
    Yes I have to take some blame on rolling the dice. That said, PSA ignoring their on cancellation confirmation just shows how overtaxed and disjointed they are right now

Email Cosetta. She will help you!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not think you are entitled to much, if anything.

Not saying so to be rude but sometimes I think people misinterpret the service PSA provides. They encapsulate a card and offer an opinion of its condition.

They don’t assign value - the market does. They don’t offer guaranteed return times any longer and that hasn’t been the case in some time. They don’t choose the service level - the customer does.

From your initial post, it sounds like you had four ‘hot’ cards that you thought you could make more money on by having them graded. Prices have cooled some, you didn’t really educate yourself on current PSA submission procedures and backlogs and now that you have the product back, they did not make the grade you were hoping or the prices they go for now are a little lower than they were when you thought you’d have them back. So, you want your money back.

Again, not giving you a hard time here. The cancellation stuff is a head scratcher but with millions upon millions of cards in orders and seemingly no clearly defined ‘order’ to the grading queue (separate topic) and some issues with the real time capabilities of the PSA ‘pizza tracker’, I think it’s also possible that the order had progressed too far along to be eligible for cancellation.

Please let us know how it turns out.

Good luck

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest