Home Sports Talk
Options

You can only watch one actor's movies for the rest of your life....

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

who do you choose?

Comments

• Options

I can't believe my wife picked John Travolta. What is so great about this ridiculous movie?

• Options

I can't count how many times I've been forced to listen to this song, forced! I know the lyrics by heart.

Whether you're a brother, or whether you're a mother, you're stayin alive, stayin alive.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

samuel l jackson.

several reasons:

just so many of them
    get the tarantino movies
    get the marvel movies
    some star wars
    m. night movies
    list goes on and on really...

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2021 6:23AM

After thinking about it I have Eastwood and Nickolson tied for first.

• Options

It comes down to two guys for me, Robert De Niro, and Al Pacino, both brilliant actors. The movie Heat was a dream come true, to see both of them, one the good guy, one the bad guy, playing a game of cat and mouse with eachother. If I had to choose, I would go with Robert De Niro, there's just something about him.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jimmy Stewart

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bogie. 82 movies. You wouldn’t have to watch the same one again for almost 3 months. And of course he is a classic.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

John Wayne!

Steve

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

John Cazale played Fredo.

John Holland Cazale was an American actor. He appeared in five films over seven years, all of which were nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture: The Godfather, The Conversation, The Godfather Part II, Dog Day Afternoon, and The Deer Hunter.

Short list of movies but I thought him worth a mention, especially with his having died young.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

EZ.

Jack Nicholson

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

Cazale was, in my opinion, the GOAT actor, and I could watch, and have watched, any of his movies multiple times. But, if I'm going to watch only one actor's movies for the rest of my life it's going to be someone who made more than 5 movies. Even I have my limit for how many times I'll watch the same movie. (I think the Dirty Dozen is still the champ for Most Rewatched, but Jack Reacher may take the title eventually).

My pick would be Robert Duvall. I still get the Godfather movies (the two greatest movies ever made), To Kill a Mockingbird, True Grit, M * A * S * H, Sling Blade, Lonesome Dove, and so many more great movies. Oh yeah, and Jack Reacher.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two of my top movies are “The Good Sheppard” and “The curious case of Benjamin Button”. But I cannot pick either Damon or Pitt. Tough call to pick one. I think I’d take Robert Deniro

• Options
    edited June 30, 2021 3:46AM

If you get their TV catalog too, then my actual answer (and maybe the correct answer) would be veteran character actor James Hong. At 442 credits covering nearly 70 years, you have most of the great TV and tons of great movies.

Plus?

Potential new content!

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0393222/filmotype?ref_=m_nm_flmg

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

John Wayne, end of discussion.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭✭

Not that I like all their movies

John Wayne
    Tom Cruise
    Clint Eastwood
    Jimmy Stewart

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom Cruise, Robert Deniro, Matt Damon, Brad Pitt, Tom Hanks are all in my top echelon of movies

• Options

Seinfeld! Four!

Born in Minnesota. 😉

• Options

John Holland Cazale was an American actor. He appeared in five films over seven years, all of which were nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture: The Godfather, The Conversation, The Godfather Part II, Dog Day Afternoon, and The Deer Hunter.

Short list of movies but I thought him worth a mention, especially with his having died young.

John Cazale was a legend. Everyone of his movies won Academy Awards. If you are a fan of John you must read about his relationship with Meryl Streep. After reading it I have an incredible opinion of her. Plus 3 Academy Awards doesn’t hurt her credibility.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:

John Cazale was a legend. Everyone of his movies won Academy Awards. If you are a fan of John you must read about his relationship with Meryl Streep. After reading it I have an incredible opinion of her. Plus 3 Academy Awards doesn’t hurt her credibility.

I brought him up because I love his work and his story tragic.

Life is short; live it.

• Options

As for film, I don’t know if people realize how many movies are made great because of the supporting cast.

Often times they are the reason a movie achieves greatness.

As for The Duke? I love his work and only wished he’d shown more of his range as an actor. He was very funny and barely did any comedies. I think Red River and The Quiet Man are probably my favorites.

I thought both True Grit ‘s were very good, though I’m partial to the original.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jack Elam would be a good choice, he was in a lot of good movies, mostly Westerns though.

Harrison Ford was in a lot of great movies, other than the obvious "Raiders" and "Star Wars" "Witness" was enjoyable.

Robert Shaw was great. His scene in "Jaws" where he talks about the USS Indianapolis always brings chills.

In the vein of Cazale, Another "John" Cassavetes was a great actor who doesn't get mentioned with the "Big Guys".

Also enjoyed a lot of Eastwood's and Mel Gibson's stuff.

Tough answer, Harrison Ford I guess.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭✭

Burt Lancaster. Versatile and compelling. His role as the old Moonlight Graham in Field of Dreams is still one of the most endearing characters in cinematic history. Long illustrious career. He also played Jim Thorpe, so there is another sports connection for him :)

Diniro lost me. I can't watch any of his stuff anymore as he is basically the same character over and over....and now you see his personality in real life. No thanks. Punting Diniro.

JoeBanzi, good call on Robert Shaw. I agree with that performance. It's compelling, and it makes you think that he was actually on the Indianapolis. I'll take that any day over that 'snarled' face performance Diniro gives all of his characters.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't pick a single actor. But if i had to pick a single director, it would be Stanley Kubrick.

His mix of movies include war, sex, violence, dark comedy, futuristic drama, and more. What's there not to like? LOL

He actually met his pretty wife on the set of Paths of Glory, which in my opinion is the greatest anti-war movie ever made.

• Options

I was thinking about it. Still can't choose one.

i'm surprised Kirk Douglas hasn't been mentioned?

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gene Hackman

Popeye Doyle
    Norman Dale

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2021 8:39AM

Eli Wallach. Great actor and a really nice human being. Saw him in Vegas and he was over joyed someone recognized him and wanted pictures with him. The Good, the bad and the Ugly. Classic!

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@stevek said:

We're going to need an answer by the end of the day, we have to know! If no answer is given, we'll have to take you into custody!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

We're going to need an answer by the end of the day, we have to know! If no answer is given, we'll have to take you into custody!

Mickey Mantle who starred in Safe at Home.

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

Now you're just being difficult! If anyone needs me, I'll be hanging out in the Mike Tyson gorilla thread for the rest of the day!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

Now you're just being difficult! If anyone needs me, I'll be hanging out in the Mike Tyson gorilla thread for the rest of the day!

I caved to the pressure of posting on a sports card forum.

i admit it.

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

i admit it.

Don't worry, we've all been there. The next time you're out and about, there's an awesome video in the Tyson gorilla thread of a monkey jumping out of a tree and splatting on the ground and living to tell about it!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

i admit it.

Don't worry, we've all been there. The next time you're out and about, there's an awesome video in the Tyson gorilla thread of a monkey jumping out of a tree and splatting on the ground and living to tell about it!

I closed that thread.

The Gorilla-Tyson debate is over, finished.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2021 10:58AM

I'm thinking about it. Problem is the lead actor whose movies I like the best is not who I consider to be the best actor. Best actor in my opinion....Jimmy Stuart because he could do anything..... comedy and drama and Westerns, ......everything. And great at them all.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am quite well rounded and know lots and lots of actors and actresses from the 1930's to date, but I'm coming up empty with this Jimmy Stuart guy.

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

i admit it.

I closed that thread.

First you refuse to choose an actor, now you're closing down Tyson gorilla threads? You're out of control today!

• Options

@keets said:
    I am quite well rounded and know lots and lots of actors and actresses from the 1930's to date, but I'm coming up empty with this Jimmy Stuart guy.

I think he made breakfast sausages; he was great in the commercials.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

i admit it.

I closed that thread.

First you refuse to choose an actor, now you're closing down Tyson gorilla threads? You're out of control today!

There are some very loud knocks at my door right now.

Probably just solicitors trying to sell something.

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

i admit it.

I closed that thread.

Don't answer that door, it could be a gorilla looking for food, they're mean when they're hungry!

• Options

I'm confused now.

Was it Jimmy Stuart or James Stuart?

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

i admit it.

I closed that thread.

Don't answer that door, it could be a gorilla looking for food, they're mean when they're hungry!

I'd be in deep trouble.

I wouldn't mind feeding it, but who the heck knows what gorillas eat?

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

i admit it.

I closed that thread.

I'd be in deep trouble.

I would think lettuce would be on the menu, get rid of all your lettuce!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

i admit it.

I closed that thread.

I'd be in deep trouble.

Lettuce it is. I'll sprinkle some bits of fruit on there for flavor such as apple, pear, cherry, strawberry...hope I didn't miss any.

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

i admit it.

I closed that thread.

I'd be in deep trouble.

Lettuce it is. I'll sprinkle some bits of fruit on there for flavor such as apple, pear, cherry, strawberry...hope I didn't miss any.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Barney Rubble

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@keets said:

Did you see It's A Wonderful Life (1942)?

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

@keets said:

Did you see It's A Wonderful Life (1942)?

Sorry 1946.

• Options

@stevek said:
    I'm confused now.

Steve I've seen it both ways. Seems like Jimmy is used more.

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

@stevek said:
    I'm confused now.

I think it’s pronounced Jimmy Stewart but I could be wrong. 😂
    And if you really want star power “The man who shot Liberty Valance
    Jimmy Stewart
    John Wayne
    Lee Marvin
    Vera Miles
    Andy Devine
    John Carridine
    Strother Martin
    Lee Van Cleef
    Denver Pyle

Now that’s a cast!

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2021 3:59PM

Jon Wayine was good in "The Green Barays."

• Options

@2dueces said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@stevek said:
    I'm confused now.

I think it’s pronounced Jimmy Stewart but I could be wrong. 😂
    And if you really want star power “The man who shot Liberty Valance
    Jimmy Stewart
    John Wayne
    Lee Marvin
    Vera Miles
    Andy Devine
    John Carridine
    Strother Martin
    Lee Van Cleef
    Denver Pyle

Now that’s a cast!

Seen it. I'd call it a good entertaining movie, but not a great movie. Just my humble opinion.

You're right about the cast - star power galore!

This discussion has been closed.