Home U.S. Coin Forum

The MOST hideous Buffalo ever . . . . .

ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

. . . . . on a decidedly beautiful coin!

The 1901 Pan-American Exposition Buffalo SC$1 (HK-291)

This is one coin that I just hate to love, but love it I do.

Decidedly the fugliest bison ever to grace a coin.

Minted as a Souvenir Coin for the exposition. The Pan-American Expo has the dubious distinction as being the location where then 25th President William McKinley was shot by Leon Czolgosz in the Temple of Music while greeting participants.

I guess this ugly buffalo is a fitting requiem . . . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Comments

• ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh boy that's bad.

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice example.

• 1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Run Hard and put away wet to many times!! oh I forgot that's a horse thing, but this guy looks like he was put through the Mill and then some.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the missing jaw variety.

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even it has more hair detail than anything the mint has produced lately.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I must say I tend to agree.... at least about it being ugly.... maybe not the ugliest, would have to see others.... Cheers, RickO

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that type medal was sold just outside the fairgrounds to people who wanted a cheap souvenir and wouldn't pay the price asked for medals sold on the fairgrounds.

All glory is fleeting.
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, that mutant is really bad.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting and ugly indeed.
    On a similar note, I have a very old photo album which I purchased years ago at an estate sale- which includes several original photos of subjects in that Exposition including some Bison.
    Included in the photos are images of what is said in the caption to be
    “The world’s only trained Bison”.

From my photo archeological archives- not addressed or thoughtfully researched yet and on my list of ‘things to do’.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect that it’s actually a cow wearing a (bad) buffalo costume.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    I wouldn't be surprised to learn that type medal was sold just outside the fairgrounds to people who wanted a cheap souvenir and wouldn't pay the price asked for medals sold on the fairgrounds.

In that context, I would understand the deficiency.

A hurriedly made cheap souvenir keepsake at hardly any cost.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know, that buffalo is fairly reminiscent of the one on the reverse of the Trans-Mississippi official medal (HK-282 / 283) minted a few years earlier.

If he gets any more "anorexic" he'll end up looking like this one . . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• InlanderInlander Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

That is one ugly Tatanka!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file