Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mike Trout starting playing with the Angels in 2011..

this is his 11th year. The Angels have been to the playoffs exactly 1 time in the first 10 years he has played and it appears like they won't go again this year. The only time they went to the playoffs they were swept 3-0. While he is an outstanding player, these numbers don't bode well for history sake. I know some of his cards have sold for a lot of money (over 100k, a few much higher). While he still has several more great years ahead of him statistically, do you feel the lack of his teams performance and playoff appearances will finally catch up to the prices of his cards? Can he never win a playoff game and still maintain the collect ability he has currently?

One of the things that makes the Mick's cards so valuable is his playoff and world series numbers, wins, and championships. Without those, he was a great player, but not near the pedestal he is on forever.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me - but I prefer Mays to Mantle as the numbers and military service mean more to me than Championships. If you are a fan of a team and that player is on it, then championships are extremely important. I think this matters more to Angels fans than it does to baseball fans.

In Mantle’s case there are more Yankees fans than any other team - so the value of Championships magnifies. For a while Kirby Puckett was my favorite player. When the Twins won the World Series I enjoyed watching him in it - but there was no enjoyment from the Twins winning because I am a Cubs fan.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

i give him credit for sticking w the organization. i take away credit for zero post season success too.

next season should say a lot. rendon should be settled in, they dumped puljos, ohtanis back from tommy john and doing well and if they can just add another solid starter and some relief they should start firing on all cylinders…finally.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2021 2:14PM

I know WAR is not the be-all, end-all but I do think it is a good stat to compare players of different eras.

Trout is 75th All-Time in 11 seasons with 76. 10 more WAR gets him to a top 50 player of all-time. That is pretty much a certainty. 40.9 more gets him to a Top 25 all-time player. He is an all-time great and the best player of his generation. Pujols is the ONLY current player above him.

Mantle is #21 All-Time. To me anyone in the Top 25 should be the top priced cards of their era. For the era I collect Frank Robinson is the most underpriced. He did not go without a World Series and even won the Triple Crown. Why are his cards more affordable than the others on that list? I couldn’t begin to tell you. Price of cards has everything to do with demand - demand is a fickle thing.

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

My dad says Frank Robinson was the best he saw play and second wasn’t close.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Historicalwood71Historicalwood71 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

I actually blame the organization for spending that much money on him, and sacrificed future pitching and players. That's a bad business decision. No player is worth hurting your team for the long haul

• olb31olb31 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

To the man you got to beat the man!!

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Sgt_DSgt_D Posts: 85 ✭✭

What's your take on Bryce Harper in this case ?

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bo Jackson barely played pro football or pro baseball but his popularity and ‘name brandness*’ has not waned yet. It may but it hasn’t because his name and image were ubiquitous for long enough to be printed into the public consciousness. But how many people are shocked when they hear that Bo Jackson played 38 pro football games and scored 14 TDs in his entire career? Or that he played around four and a quarter seasons worth of games (694 games) over 8 years in the MLB hitting a whopping .250 along the way?

Mike Trout has the same fame ‘status’ as Bo Jackson at this point and the actual statistics (MVPs, still on pace for 500 career HR, non controversial) to keep him relevant for a long time ever.

As to winning, perhaps a better comparison is a modern day Ted as opposed to Mickey and then we’re all good on all fronts.

After all there is only one Mickey (and none higher 😉)…

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

*yes, I’m making up words now.

What of it?

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

. For the era I collect Frank Robinson is the most underpriced. He did not go without a World Series and even won the Triple Crown. Why are his cards more affordable than the others on that list? I couldn’t begin to tell you.

I’m just spitballing here. But I’m of the age where I didn’t see Frank Robinson play but remember him well as a manager. And not a terribly good one. I think it may take the tarnish off the mystique a bit. No matter how much of a baseball historian I try to be, my first thought of Robinson is those sub 500 Indians, Giants and Orioles teams. Stupid, I know. But if the Mick went onto manage some small market team to multiple last place finishes I wonder if there would be a discount to current pricing.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GreenSneakers said:
    . For the era I collect Frank Robinson is the most underpriced. He did not go without a World Series and even won the Triple Crown. Why are his cards more affordable than the others on that list? I couldn’t begin to tell you.

I’m just spitballing here. But I’m of the age where I didn’t see Frank Robinson play but remember him well as a manager. And not a terribly good one. I think it may take the tarnish off the mystique a bit. No matter how much of a baseball historian I try to be, my first thought of Robinson is those sub 500 Indians, Giants and Orioles teams. Stupid, I know. But if the Mick went onto manage some small market team to multiple last place finishes I wonder if there would be a discount to current pricing.

And yet Ted Williams doesn't seem to suffer.