Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Authentic? 1625 Duchy Of Saxe-Altenburg Thaler

Just recently purchased this item and I wanted to get some second opinions from the community. Do you guys think this particular piece is authentic? It passes the magnet test and weight test. It also seems to have the correct dimensions. The photos below do not give a good idea of the patina on the piece. I'd say the color on this coin is a very dark grayish-blue. Unfortunately, it has been scratched. There are also some bluish-green spots on it, which the many photos below will show. The obverse/reverse alignment is roughly 90 degrees, with the reverse turned about a 90 degree angle compared to the obverse when the obverse is aligned right-side-up. Also, if any of you have any great resources for learning about thalers from the 16th, 17th, and 18th century, I would greatly appreciate it! This is the first thaler I have ever purchased, and it was a bit of a spur of the moment purchase. Nonetheless, I find it very interesting and would love to go deep into learning how these things were made, how many are left, what the market for these are, etc. etc. I can also post more pictures if any of you are curious. Thanks in advance!
Numista link: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces85336.html

Tagged:

Comments