Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How do you know when you’re spending too much time with your coins?

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just guiltily explained to my dog that “yes, I know I’ve been playing with these coins all day, but I think I’ve finally figured out how to turn them into bacon!” I don’t think he bought it, but it was worth a try.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

when I have acquired yet another black NGC slab!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask hes adorable.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting question - didn't know it was possible to spend too much time with them!! :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

When you start attending NA (Numismatics Anonymous) meetings?

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

...when you know where every coin is...

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2021 10:26PM

When you can identify the year of mintage, on a box of coins, simply by looking at the reverse side of each coin.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I avoid that by helping in the shed doing wood refinishing with the Mrs along with lawn and garden work. I get the Lincolns out for inspection around every six months.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have several other interests which require portions of my time, so I allocate my days and hours. Not strictly to the minute, and it can vary depending on needs of the various interests. Keeps me active, mentally and physically. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

My sweet wife gives me the stink eye and says "think you can clean this up a bit?". Kinda spreads out like trumpet vine in summer. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I’m getting ready to go somewhere, and I have an uncontrollable urge to pull out a couple of coins, and look at them before I leave.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know, because I haven't got there yet.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you ask them out to dinner and a movie instead of your spouse.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

I set one of my favorites on my wife’s forehead when we ...............

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you're at work and, instead of doing your job, you are replying/chatting on the CU boards! :D

OR surfing dealer/auction websites!! :o

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2021 12:31PM

easy:

When you forget your wife's name.

Or call her Double Eagle

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you read User1's threads...

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2021 10:39AM

@BustDMs said:

@markelman1125 said:
    On a day when I look at my coins, while eating dinner, while watching tv, while doing my Homework, and while taking a shower.

My eyes never stop starting at those beautiful coins 🤤😍😍😍😵😵

Oops I did I say take showers with my coins, I don’t do that, that would be pure madness 😂

I have clear sides to my shower and I lean slabs up against them on the bathtub ledge. 🧐

I’ll try that to when I shower, showering with coins sounds like a blast lol 😂

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I'm late for a tee time.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    I just guiltily explained to my dog that “yes, I know I’ve been playing with these coins all day, but I think I’ve finally figured out how to turn them into bacon!” I don’t think he bought it, but it was worth a try.

What about Esmeralda? Didn't she mind?

• Options
    Off_Cent_erOff_Cent_er Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:

I almost became single just reading this lol :D

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

@Sonorandesertrat said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    The coins start talking back to you.

Indeed. I just don't like it when they repeatedly call me an idiot. I keep them in dark safety deposit boxes, packed like sardines. They still haven't learned to behave.

my coins say the same thing

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy coins then waste the rest on bills and the sorts

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2021 2:20PM

@JimTyler said:

Off_Cent_er

I almost became single just reading this lol :D

It doesn’t bother her she barely notices she busy making out her shopping list.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I spend way more time on this forum than I do with my coins. Result...... enjoyment and better coin purchases. Thanks everyone!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2021 2:31PM

But....I ALWAYS have my loop and a few coins sitting within reach. What would little Hydrantette Jenny do if she couldn't mess with Papa's coins and loop!........Today is her third birthday! ......Man, does she like to jump off my bed. Somersault too!

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your fishing license expires and you don't even care!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you know when you’re spending too much time with your coins?
    When they start looking at me for the answers .

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file