Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting lamination error

Found this penny yesterday while going through some wheat cents and thought the lamination error on the back looked kinda cool. Thought some people might agree, and if anyone else has some cool looking errors like this, be sure to post em.

Comments

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah - something on the surface causing that. Try a soak in acetone - if it is glue then it should come off

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Yeah - something on the surface causing that. Try a soak in acetone - if it is glue then it should come off

Hmm. Imma try that tomorrow morning. I just thought it looked like lamination since it had the cracks and stuff but still had detail beneath it a bit yk? I hope it's not glue because if it is, then I'm 0 for 2 on trying to self diagnose errors on coins. Hopefully I'm not that stupid lol.

Even if it is just glue, it preserved the details on the reverse pretty well and I think the contrast would look pretty cool.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s not a lamination – as posted above it looks like glue or some other similar liquid

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still a nice coin after 86 years.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2021 8:43AM

Coinboard penny? On second thought maybe not. Too much circulation wear....????

• Options

Haven't been able to post an update since we got 30 new calves and I've been busy working for the majority of the day, but turns out I am just dumb and it was glue. On the bright side, I now have a pretty cool looking 1935 penny.

• Options

Looks good - the glue really preserved the details of the wheat stalks

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice job.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2021 6:04PM

@DynamiteDD said:
    Haven't been able to post an update since we got 30 new calves......

Eatin' or milkin' ? I suspect the latter. Either way,...that's a bunch........

• Options

Very nice!

And the obverse?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not dumb

It was easily identified because we see a number of these. Lots of people make the same mistake.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@USSID17 said:
    Very nice!

And the obverse?

Pic in the original post

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@USSID17 said:
    Very nice!

And the obverse?

Pic in the original post

Isn't there a before and after of the obverse?

• Options

@USSID17 said:
    Isn't there a before and after of the obverse?

No, he only did the reverse where the glue was - LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

Oh, okay. I thought the acetone would have helped the obverse as well. Oh well.

• Options

@USSID17 yeah, the obverse didn't change any. It was already glue free on the obverse, and I didn't keep it in the acetone too long.

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@DynamiteDD said:
    Haven't been able to post an update since we got 30 new calves......

Eatin' or milkin' ? I suspect the latter. Either way,...that's a bunch........

We're bottle training them rn. Last week was a nightmare because we got 52 calves (all non bottle trained ofc) and we just got all but 2 pail trained by the time we bought this recent bunch. So currently we have like 80 some calves to feed morning and night.

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Looks good - the glue really preserved the details of the wheat stalks

Yeah. I'm pretty satisfied with how it turned out. Also, since the reverse of the coin trumps the quality of the quality of another 1935 I had in a coin book, it made for a nice upgrade. The obverse was a little worse for wear than the existing 1935, but overall, this coin was considerably nicer than the existing example.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice job removing the glue... and do not feel bad. We all learned about coins over the many years we have been collecting... Your journey is in the early stages. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2021 8:26AM

@DynamiteDD said:
    Haven't been able to post an update since we got 30 new calves and I've been busy working for the majority of the day, but turns out I am just dumb and it was glue. On the bright side, I now have a pretty cool looking 1935 penny.

As others have said, many members know this stuff because they have a lot of experience.

I couldn't imagine how many "dumb" questions I would ask if I was trying to learn how to manage new calves on a ranch. Everything is relative. :D

Member of the ANA since 1982

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file