Home U.S. Coin Forum

One of the first 1794 dollars struck?

2»

Comments

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2021 10:51AM

.> @tradedollarnut said:

JD just examined this dollar and stated that it does not have the same die rotation and is not exactly the same die state A. I am pretty excited about this news - an unclashed and uncanted early strike without proof like surfaces but with different rotation from mine (the same as all the others) pretty much proves that my coin was struck ahead of time for presentation purposes.

For the Carter coin, pretty much proves what cannot be proven, but which can be authoritatively surmised by knowledgeable students of the date and its manufacture.

But "pretty much proves" in this coin's instance works tops out at "is perhaps strongly suggestive of". Conjecture about more than proximate strike order seems at best to be a well-informed SWAG.

@Sonorandesertrat, who taught it to me, and many other techno-geeks will recognize the SWAG acronym and concept.
    S-W-A-G ... Scientific Wild-Ass Guess

None of which disproves anything. The coin speaks for itself. It's OMFUG! :)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    JD just examined this dollar and stated that it does not have the same die rotation and is not exactly the same die state A. I am pretty excited about this news - an unclashed and uncanted early strike without proof like surfaces but with different rotation from mine (the same as all the others) pretty much proves that my coin was struck ahead of time for presentation purposes.

Out of curiosity could you elaborate on “not exactly the same die state”. Strike irregularities or deterioration? Fascinating and cool stuff, congratulations on the successes in the pursuit of knowledge

I agree that two of the clearest signs of different emission sequencing is die alignment or different collars. Like when Originaldan and I were trying to prove that there was both Business strike and proof emissions of the 1876 4 finger type 1 Obv trade dollar. We found different looks, strike characteristics but a break through was different Reed counts aligned with the different looks.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

how does this information contend with your SP66 having a big die crack/break and large die chip centered above the ear? which would not indicate a die state A (prime)?) aka (one of the first if not the first struck) - not combative, just for study.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2021 12:10PM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@tradedollarnut said:

how does this information contend with your SP66 having a big die crack/break and large die chip centered above the ear? which would not indicate a die state A (prime)?) aka (one of the first if not the first struck) - not combative, just for study.

That “big die crack” is the edge of the silver plug. Don’t see the die chip that you are referencing- do you mean the centering dot?

edited July 24, 2021 12:21PM

@tradedollarnut said:
    That “big die crack” is the edge of the silver plug. Don’t see the die chip that you are referencing- do you mean the centering dot?

ok. ty for taking the time. there is a spot where the top of the ear would be that lines up with the plug (looks like a chip) so that rendered my inquiry moot.

have you tracked any 94 or 95 dollars to the dies from the SP? i linked a dollar that looks about spot-on to the SP in a thread i just started for 94 dollars.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

@tradedollarnut said:
    Fully struck from unclashed and uncanted dies. Perhaps the 2nd earliest strike known? No trace whatsoever of prooflike surfaces…which in my mind enhances my coin’s specimen status.

it looks like it came from the SP66 die(s) as well as the one i posted in my thread. fwiw

maybe it's common knowledge, except me, which is why i mention it.

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@tradedollarnut said:
    Fully struck from unclashed and uncanted dies. Perhaps the 2nd earliest strike known? No trace whatsoever of prooflike surfaces…which in my mind enhances my coin’s specimen status.

it looks like it came from the SP66 die(s) as well as the one i posted in my thread. fwiw

maybe it's common knowledge, except me, which is why i mention it.

Aren’t all 94 dollars the same dies just with a chronological progression of deterioration / working

Correct

edited July 24, 2021 2:35PM

@Crypto said:
    Aren’t all 94 dollars the same dies just with a chronological progression of deterioration / working

ok ty. that rings a bell now. i'll have to work it in the opposite direction now.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish we knew more about the process of plugging underweight planchets. Just spitballing here, but what if the guy responsible for doing the work finished the first one he ever did and felt a burning need to burnish the planchet to try to disguise the alteration? Not saying that that is what happened, but the bottom line is that we do not know what happened.
    Love the hair details in that closeup, BTW.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

@CaptHenway said:
    I wish we knew more about the process of plugging underweight planchets. Just spitballing here, but what if the guy responsible for doing the work finished the first one he ever did and felt a burning need to burnish the planchet to try to disguise the alteration? Not saying that that is what happened, but the bottom line is that we do not know what happened.
    Love the hair details in that closeup, BTW.

That would explain the PL but still 1st is 1st and there had to be a reason he wanted to get it as good as possible

• labloverlablover Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that's some coin!!!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

I'm assuming maximal pressure for the first (and only notable) strike.
    The notable coin is removed and put aside.
    Reduced pressure is guesstimated for the production run for coins of with previously unencountered stressors.
    What is the spectrum of die rotation on the issue and where does the 55 coin fall within it.
    What degree of die rotation might have been noted on 1794 50c? Any analogs.
    Where does this piece fall in the condition census, not of grade, but of die state degradation. How many die state A's are identified as in this tranche.

If every one were previously considered, I'd be happy. I wish I could have followed the journey as closely as @cardinal and @tradedollarnut. It seems Bruce is always RWA to discuss this coin. Likely the Queen visits the Tower of London to visit the Crown Jewels so the great-grandkids can play with them. I think the twins have simpler tastes.

If some of the metrics that might be useful haven't be made, and in aggregate 20% would be astounding, they're only useful for refining informed speculation. :)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
    edited July 24, 2021 6:35PM

@lablover said:
    Wow, that's some coin!!!

Better than “some pig”

Aren’t there two copper patterns at the Smithsonian? That might be a false memory

• cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

I visited Stacks-Bowers last Wednesday, and examined that 1794 Dollar, and I concur with JD's assessment! (Actually, while I was in the lot viewing room, I distinctly heard JD speaking to another person about the coin.)

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me say once again that a planchet does not have to be polished for the struck coin to be “proof-like,” however you define that term.
    At ANACS we saw a complete clock of off-center dollars and there was an 1880 or 81-S about 25% off where the unstuck area of the planchet was frosty and the struck fields had that great shiny luster SF dollars of those years get.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2021 10:36AM

@cardinal said:

@tradedollarnut said:

I visited Stacks-Bowers last Wednesday, and examined that 1794 Dollar, and I concur with JD's assessment! (Actually, while I was in the lot viewing room, I distinctly heard JD speaking to another person about the coin.)

Was the other person TDN? :)

@CaptHenway said:
    Let me say once again that a planchet does not have to be polished for the struck coin to be “proof-like,” however you define that term.
    At ANACS we saw a complete clock of off-center dollars and there was an 1880 or 81-S about 25% off where the unstuck area of the planchet was frosty and the struck fields had that great shiny luster SF dollars of those years get.

it is amazing where confirmations can come from!

granted looking at a LOT of diverse coins can tell one amazing story as well.

i almost posted a couple images that i was considering for my mind-blowing weekend thread where the ms67-level business strikes had SO many polishing lines, if a survey were done here i bet 90% of the people would say it was cleaned. (the TV made those lines POP) was going to start a thread and i really wanted to but i was doing too many things at once as it was and i've made a couple egregious errors recently postings things when i shouldn't. live n learn.

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    Copper pattern (5 degree rotation)
    Presentation piece (5 degree rotation)
    Unclashed early strikes (no rotation)
    Clashed middle strikes (no rotation)

That's really cool. Hadn't seen this before. Once again, the coin speaks for itself.

edited July 25, 2021 12:57PM

@Coinosaurus said:

@tradedollarnut said:
    Copper pattern (5 degree rotation)
    Presentation piece (5 degree rotation)
    Unclashed early strikes (no rotation)
    Clashed middle strikes (no rotation)

That's really cool. Hadn't seen this before. Once again, the coin speaks for itself.

Agree this is cool.

The coin speaks for itself, but seeing it in context with its peers like this makes it really notable.

• WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:

...Aren’t there two copper patterns at the Smithsonian? That might be a false memory

There are two copper patterns of the 1794 Dollar, but only one is in the Smithsonian. That is the one similar to the silver Specimen coin.

The other is the lower grade No Stars pattern that was struck from a different obverse die. It was just auctioned in April 2021 from the Simpson collection at $840,000, an impressive gain from its prior 2001 auction at $92,000. Wonder what the Smithsonian coin could bring if it were put up for auction.
    Smithsonian pattern - (slide right to the third and fourth of the five photos to see a good depiction) :

https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_835239

No Stars example auctioned by Heritage from the Simpson collection:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/patterns/1794-dt-1-dollar-judd-18-pollock-27-unique-vf25-pcgs-pcgs-11049-/a/1329-4190.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

edited July 25, 2021 9:11PM

@tradedollarnut said:

If the specimen coin was struck for presentation purposes, can this coin be considered the first business / circulation strike?

• MartinMartin Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t get all this back and forth. PCGS should put it In a first strike American flag holder

Seriously this Is a great discussion, lots of ideas and thoughts bouncing around. What ever it is or isn’t, it is a great America treasure and that is a fact

Martin

edited July 26, 2021 8:52AM

@Martin said:
    PCGS should put it In a first strike American flag holder

The way PCGS First Strike is defined, shipped within first 30 days of shipping, makes it hard to tell for older coins.

The program is also only for moderns.

Perhaps they can make an exception, like they do for APMEX coins?

https://www.pcgs.com/firststrike

PCGS wrote:
    FirstStrike™

The Industry Leading Program that Adds Value to Modern Coins.

The PCGS First Strike program designates coins issued in the first 30* days of the Mint's release. This designation not only adds value to modern coins, but takes modern coin collecting to another level with multiple Mint releases each year.

*In rare cases, coins issued more than 30 days before submission can receive First Strike designation.

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

These threads are enjoyable as well as educational. I did not know about the slight rotation, which is another data point for showing the SP66 is the first "silver" dollar struck.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

@WinLoseWin said:

@Crypto said:

...Aren’t there two copper patterns at the Smithsonian? That might be a false memory

There are two copper patterns of the 1794 Dollar, but only one is in the Smithsonian. That is the one similar to the silver Specimen coin.

The other is the lower grade No Stars pattern that was struck from a different obverse die. It was just auctioned in April 2021 from the Simpson collection at $840,000, an impressive gain from its prior 2001 auction at $92,000. Wonder what the Smithsonian coin could bring if it were put up for auction.
    Smithsonian pattern - (slide right to the third and fourth of the five photos to see a good depiction) :

https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_835239

No Stars example auctioned by Heritage from the Simpson collection:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/patterns/1794-dt-1-dollar-judd-18-pollock-27-unique-vf25-pcgs-pcgs-11049-/a/1329-4190.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

thanks that is it, great post and I appreciate it. While obviously different dies which means different emission, there is no rotation on the no stars coin.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2021 10:18AM

Very nice detail and surfaces. I try to think of the historical background in the 1790s, as historian Gordon Wood emphasizes the country was bursting at the seams post Revolutionary War and the coins like the FH dollar reflected that youthful vigor.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • MartinMartin Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins well it was minted in the first 30 days at that time is was a modern and it was just bullion at the time. I’m not sure they had the plastic holders at the time though. Thanks for the information on first strike. I should have put a smiley face in that post.

Thanks
    Martin

edited July 26, 2021 6:09PM

@Martin said:
    @Zoins well it was minted in the first 30 days at that time is was a modern and it was just bullion at the time. I’m not sure they had the plastic holders at the time though. Thanks for the information on first strike. I should have put a smiley face in that post.

Thanks
    Martin

Although I posted the definition, I think it would be fun if PCGS did use First Strike for classics.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

classics? it would require knowing release date and receipt date with the ability to have it in a sealed and dated container.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • CopperWireCopperWire Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Why did this coin not receive a details grade due to the extensive graffiti on the obverse?

• cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CopperWire said:
    Why did this coin not receive a details grade due to the extensive graffiti on the obverse?

Which coin are your referring to? Is it the newly discovered 1794 Dollar, or the SP66 1794 Dollar?

edited July 27, 2021 3:16PM

@CopperWire said:

if you are talking about the close-up above, you obviously didn't read the thread. that is from a silver plug that the mint used to save 1-2 grains of 90% silver which apparently would feed a family for a week back then.

OR are you talking about the die file lines the mint did for the same reason as the plug? in which case, read the thread.

@cardinal said:

@CopperWire said:

Which coin are your referring to? Is it the newly discovered 1794 Dollar, or the SP66 1794 Dollar?

Are the adjustment marks on both?

• 1peter12231peter1223 Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2021 1:36PM

This one appears to be the best struck of any 1794 .

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file