Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1960 Topps Jim Brown PSA 6 just sold for $250, SMR lists it $50, Now that's a big difference. Or..

maybe indifference.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have cards that are listed at $6 SMR that sell for over $200. SMR is useless.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

I use pages from the SMR as packing material for outbound shipments. That’s how valuable I find the pricing.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why waste the time to print it, if it's useless. Maybe just print the update prices and leave out all the other pricing. Remember how great it was to get the updated pricing from Beckett back in the 80's and 90's. I couldn't wait to read it. Or better yet just have the prices online and keep it updated there.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2021 10:24AM

anything print these days is pretty much already outdated. like other printed publications, i read purely for the articles!

• Options

@blurryface said:
    anything print these days is pretty much already outdated. like other printed publications, i read purely for the articles!

tweet or blog the articles, have up to date pricing on line. The pricing is more impactful than PSA thinks. Some people will buy and sell depending on new item listings, green pricing and red pricing. Especially the new listings. Some people just don't have time to follow everything. The SMR helps those folks out with what is what.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay let the flames begin! It is NOT useless, it has value in many areas. With that being said it should not be used as the sole source to determine the value of an item.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2021 10:51AM

@olb31 said:

@blurryface said:

tweet or blog the articles, have up to date pricing on line. The pricing is more impactful than PSA thinks. Some people will buy and sell depending on new item listings, green pricing and red pricing. Especially the new listings. Some people just don't have time to follow everything. The SMR helps those folks out with what is what.

i was just making a nudey mag joke. but there are seriously some good articles in smr.

and yes i agree. it would be nice for it to be updated if not simply to do away w the guys that send messages like “im interested in this card. you have it listed for $1000 but smr shows the card only worth $200…”. i will usually hit their selling page and offer them something on their items at smr. i never hear back from them for some reason.

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2021 11:10AM

They are clearly using a weighted average system dating back through months (likely years) of sold prices.

Their Auction Prices Realized is a superior system. It would be great if they replaced the SMR pricing with an average of the last month's realized prices. I'd rather read that on the toilet for sure.

• Options

@Jayman1982 said:
    They are clearly using a weighted average system dating back through months (likely years) of sold prices.

Their Auction Prices Realized is a superior system. It would be great if they replaced the SMR pricing with an average of the last month's realized prices. I'd rather read that on the toilet for sure.

Yes, Please.!!!!!

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone use Beckett pricing?

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous card if you can find it centered.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options

I use Beckett to get an idea of value when PSA does not have a card listed. Most notably PSA 5-7.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes for a good photo:

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭

If PSA publishes a price guide then shouldn't people be able to use those values when submitting cards for grading levels? Just saying...

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gameusedhoop said:
    If PSA publishes a price guide then shouldn't people be able to use those values when submitting cards for grading levels? Just saying...

Does PSA publish a guide for raw cards? I don't understand.