Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

$8400 for a common date Cap & Rays

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prices are now stupid

Comments

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone paid a US level premium for a non-US coin.

The 1754 Peru 8R PCGS MS-64 sold for $15,600 which I think is also excessive, though not as much as Cap & Ray. It's a very nice coin but the date is one of the more common ones from this mint.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

66, I'll bet that is sweet in hand!

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

Toned common Cap & Rays have had stupid premiums for years. Many here have been happy to pay them. And for the most part have profited when they sold them. I have always thought it was because collectors wanted a pretty type coin.

Only now you are questioning it?

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's almost as if a lot of people are hedging against inflation...

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@pruebas said:
    Toned common Cap & Rays have had stupid premiums for years. Many here have been happy to pay them. And for the most part have profited when they sold them. I have always thought it was because collectors wanted a pretty type coin.

There is a premium and then there is $8400 for a common date 66. That is what 3-4x what a nice 66 used to sell for? I paid a premium for this coin at $1500 a few years back. Glad I did.

To my eyes, in terms of eye appeal, there is NO comparison. None.

That said, I wouldn't buy either one.

• Options

@pruebas said:

@Boosibri said:

@pruebas said:

There is a premium and then there is $8400 for a common date 66. That is what 3-4x what a nice 66 used to sell for? I paid a premium for this coin at $1500 a few years back. Glad I did.

To my eyes, in terms of eye appeal, there is NO comparison. None.

That said, I wouldn't buy either one.

Agree, I think they aren’t comparable and the glamour shot was worth several thousand.

• Options

I can’t even begin to tell you how many coins that I have followed which have sold for (what I believe to be at the time) crazy prices.

Some of them I was underbidder on. A few, I was the buyer! 🤪

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    I can’t even begin to tell you how many coins that I have followed which have sold for (what I believe to be at the time) crazy prices.

Some of them I was underbidder on. A few, I was the buyer! 🤪

I bought many too 😊

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    edited June 24, 2021 3:27PM

@pruebas said:

I cannot find any bargains anymore and don’t want to pay up like this one sold for in the OP.

I may be close to done with my registry given prices now .

Edit to add

Given this sale was a Heritage HKINf World and Ancient auction it’s likely this coin was bid up if not won by a Chinese collector (s)

I’m not going to arm wrestle with them!

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

@pruebas said:

I cannot find any bargains anymore and don’t want to pay up like this one sold for in the OP.

Edit to add

Given this sale was a Heritage HKINf World and Ancient auction it’s likely this coin was bid up if not won by a Chinese collector (s)

I'll bet you can still be very competitive on better dates. And FWIW, those don't seem all that expensive to me.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

@MrEureka said:

@bidask said:

@pruebas said:

Edit to add

I'll bet you can still be very competitive on better dates. And FWIW, those don't seem all that expensive to me.

$8400 isn't really expensive for a common date Cap & Rays in 66?

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@MrEureka said:

@bidask said:

@pruebas said:

Edit to add

$8400 sounds like a ton for a gem common date. But I was suggesting that better dates still seem like good value. Not that I really know the series all that well, but it seems pretty obvious when you spend some time with the pop reports.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

I think $8400 is an aggressive buy .

Maybe someone hoping for an upgrade ?

And your right Mr Eureka the bidding on scarce/ rare dates seems more opportunistic yet maybe there is a reason for that .

Maybe the Chinese collector only wants gem common dates as a type coin that circulated in their country.

Not so much rare dates.

Nonetheless here is very rare date I picked up this past winter .

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the price for the half real and 2 reales were also unreal. Someone was trying to build a top set.

• Options

@Abuelo said:
    And the price for the half real and 2 reales were also unreal. Someone was trying to build a top set.

The 1/2R and 4R were in my previous set. That 2R might have been as well as a 66+. Man I left a ton of money on the table there!

• Options
    realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 363 ✭✭✭

It's only at the top, but the ENTIRE market for Cap & Ray 8R (and frankly, MOST of the market for early Latin American coinage in general, the discussion about Mexican minors aside) is quite simply insane right now.

Somewhat better date/mint, kind of nice color... but certainly not UNC:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/174809446054

Typical appearance for a reasonably common date/mint period (a hoard of these these semi-PL UNC ca.1858-61 Mo 8R surfaced a while back):
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/304044501643

• Options

Love an insane market> @realeswatcher said:

It's only at the top, but the ENTIRE market for Cap & Ray 8R (and frankly, MOST of the market for early Latin American coinage in general, the discussion about Mexican minors aside) is quite simply insane right now.

Given how widely dispersed spanish empire coinage traded is it really that surprising ? I think not.

• Options

@bidask said:

Given how widely dispersed spanish empire coinage traded is it really that surprising ? I think not.

Basically colonial coins for half the world. The Latin Republics just have the best design motifs and lack the typical Royal portrait of some inbred Hapsburg, which adds to their appeal

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2021 4:02PM

Mexico had a Hapbsburg with Maximilian, but his coinage is splendid too! (I know at that point, was not a republic... or was it?)

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

I agree with you that there is Chinese buying of the 8R since it both circulated there and they show a preference for plastic. Otherwise, most of the buyers are likely US based.