Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What’s on top of your sub pile?

1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

As we wait patiently for PSA 2: The Reopening, I am sure we’re culling and evaluating and prepping cards to send in orders both great and small. But I am quite curious to see what is on top of the various CU members piles. Maybe the top three cards you’d send in at the service level if you could.

For me, the ‘60 and 64 are so my type of cards. Both have well hidden flaws that have them destined to “look nicer (to much nicer) than the technical grade” once I get them out to Newport Beach.

1960 Topps #350 Mickey Mantle

1964 Topps #50 Mickey Mantle

I’m having some trouble selecting the last one but I think for the third card it would be this nice looking ‘57. Lower grade but still pretty…

1957 Topps #95 Mickey Mantle

Again, I want to see what YOU have…

…please share away, CU Members!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2021 9:00AM

tears. 😢

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

These would probably go to PSA

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Mostly soccer stickers for the PC. Holding back all grade-to-sell items until a new normal is firmly established.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Dust.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was hoping for some images but I get the frustration.

Still, the cards themselves are fun, too, right?

Other options…

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    NorcalNorcal Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Here are just a few-

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe not the top of the pile...
    But fun and I think they would look good slabbed... lol

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am in the minority on this but I sort of like seeing cards in the so-called top loader and leaving them protected. Not writing that is correct or most appropriate... but there is something to be said for the intended audience 50-70 years ago as well as how cards were produced in terms of MC and OC issues and whether grading standards are representative of the real spectrum as to card production and those that survived over time.

I have a 68 Mays that looks identical to the one posted earlier. It looks terrific... but will the grade whether it is a 5.5 or 6.5 really capture that it really survived in an amazing state of preservation? Not likely in the eyes of many that have a yardstick that is improbable to satisfy.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2023 6:50PM

All 3 of these were at tops of their individual stacks - actually I have them in boxes that perfectly fit Card Savers

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    I am in the minority on this but I sort of like seeing cards in the so-called top loader and leaving them protected. Not writing that is correct or most appropriate... but there is something to be said for the intended audience 50-70 years ago as well as how cards were produced in terms of MC and OC issues and whether grading standards are representative of the real spectrum as to card production and those that survived over time.

I have a 68 Mays that looks identical to the one posted earlier. It looks terrific... but will the grade whether it is a 5.5 or 6.5 really capture that it really survived in an amazing state of preservation? Not likely in the eyes of many that have a yardstick that is improbable to satisfy.

I like your post about the quality yardstick we place on cards.

Reminds me of a story I see unfold many times in this hobby. A friend has a raw card from his childhood – his favorite player from the 1960s or 1970s. He shows it off to his friends, he cherishes it for years in a binder, top loader, screw down, or magnetic. It’s perfect in his eyes, centered, sharp corners, great color, etc. Reminds him of his Little League days. Then he sends it to a grading company…

It comes back a 6 or 7. Suddenly the card he adored - enough to hold on to for 45 or 55 years – is a disappointment. He’s looking for the flaws, cannot believe it. “Wasn’t worth grading” he says as he looks at the eBay prices.
    Grading cards is fun, but at the end of the day it is a stranger’s opinion of your card. Don’t let a number define your enjoyment.

Of course, this probably doesn't apply to flippers. lol

• Options

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    All 3 of these were at tops of their individual stacks - actually I have them in boxes that perfectly fit Card Savers

Sadly these and a couple of hundred more and growing I do not foresee ever submitting. I refuse to pay the current pricing levels as I'm small submitter and it now seems most of us will only get 4's,5's,6's and 7's on what until 2021 were correctly 8's, 9's and 10's. If PSA's recent intentions were to inject true collectors + registry collectors with a vast amounts of~~~~ fear it has worked on many including myself. There will be leaner times again for PSA again, and whomever owns the firm at time will feel the rippled effects of their current day actions. With that rant over...

Please note any "snow" you see is dust on scanner, penny sleeves and or card saver 1

Daphne and Scooby Rookie :)

love this set. the dc comics ones are cool too. for informational purposes only, this technically isn’t the scooby rookie. there are 2 before, I think. I’ll have to dig it out, but there is one from the primrose and bassett sets. think those came out 71 - 74ish. and if you wanna get really technical, there’s an Hanna-Barbara old maid game set that features scoobs on it. think that was ‘70.

• Options
    edited June 23, 2021 6:33PM

Any chance it's the Daphne "rookie" --- forgot that actually. Fictional characters having rookie cards is so early 2021

• Options

Any chance it's the Daphne "rookie" --- forgot that actually. Fictional characters having rookie cards is so early 2021

whatever daphne wants in my book! 😉

• Options

Fictional characters having rookie cards is so early 2021

so would Forrest Gump have 3 different rookie cards?

football, ping pong & marathoner?

• Options
    edited June 24, 2021 7:18AM

The 4 horizontal front faced cards nearest to top of my piles (actually 2 cases, each holds 4 boxes that perfectly fit card saver 1). Again likley wont be sending them in at new prices given small submitter's now are seeing 4,5,6,7's for what until early 2021 were 8 ,9, and 10's - no 10's in this group though

Please note any "snow" you see is dust on scanner, penny sleeves and or Card Saver 1

Another purchase from my youth - circa 1994

As a kid I purchased this in 1990 from a SCD ad.

Got a bunch 1976 Trek in mid 90's at a local card show for $2 each. Yet again another case of sharp cards with not so great centering. This one is about the nicest centered of the many I picked up that day.

A rarity for me a raw purchase after the late 90's as in 1999 I directed focus of my collectibles efforts to one of a kind art items in which condition is not relevant. Pretty much never looked back at least in terms of raw card purchases and sure glad I did - with the 1 of kind art hobby no worries that a tiny flaw overlooked decades ago drastically de-values an item and a formally great memory. Also no dependencies on 3rd party grading and associated "politics".

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

gemint, good luck on that sub, nice stuff!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:
    gemint, good luck on that sub, nice stuff!

Thanks!

• Options

@Norcal said:
    Here are just a few-

be sure to wipe the wax off the front of the gibson

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice stuff everyone. Good luck with your subs when the time finally comes. I picked this up several years ago and the person that was kind enough to "re-home" it thought it might have a chance at a 10 if it was ever to be sent it to get graded. I've been tempted to send it and see.

• Options
    NorcalNorcal Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

@beachbumcollecting said:

@Norcal said:
    Here are just a few-

be sure to wipe the wax off the front of the gibson

Thanks. Gemmint pointed it out earlier, I probably would of missed it without the help from the forum.
    Always appreciated!

• Options
    Chargers49ersLakersChargers49ersLakers Posts: 139 ✭✭✭✭

The Lopez is grey back. Pop count highest is PSA 7 one only, none higher. Last number in the set. Hoping mine is at least a PSA 7. The two 1976 Trek cards are Scanlens, such low pop count for the entire set, never see the PSA ones up for sale. Found these two raw, just want a couple PSA examples for fun.

• Options
    edited June 25, 2021 11:46AM

^ 1979 Trek card, great looking rug. Must have cost a bundle back then.

• Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

I have a pile of cards waiting for submission. I wonder if PSA will be limiting submissions per account once they open things back up??? Otherwise, they will be back in the same boat they are in now.

• Options
    edited June 25, 2021 2:37PM

As with my previous these were in my various piles (neatly in boxes actually) to sub, but likley never will be for the reasons mentioned in my previous posts.

All 3 cards purchased when i was a kid in the early to Mid 90's,

@blurryface and folks is this George Lucus' rookie :) ? Card 305 was first in Star Wars set to depict him. Or is there some obscure card issue I'm overlooking?

Card #1 from the 1976 Welcome Back Kotter set. I believe this is Travolta's rookie - Man the whole rookie card thing for non-sports is a little bit silly or at least when I give it some thought it is...

• Options
    edited June 25, 2021 3:08PM

As with my previous these were in my various piles (neatly in boxes actually) to sub, but likley never will be for the reasons mentioned in my previous posts.

All 3 cards purchased when i was a kid in the early to Mid 90's,

@blurryface and folks is this George Lucus' rookie :) ? Card 305 was first in Star Wars set to depict him. Or is there some obscure card issue I'm overlooking?

>

since he’s not in the wonder bread set which came out first, i would consider it to be. there’s a 73 american graffiti lobby card that has a shot of him as the director. its pretty rare. i dont think it was part of the national advertising lobby cards released, rather just at the premiere or something like that. the few i have seen have all been signed. technically that could be considered a rc but then again, its oversized and a lobby card. i dont collect lobby cards & my ocd doesnt like oversized cards, so…

(any stumblers, yes we know its faux pas to use the term “rookie card” for directors/actors. we are borrowing it for the terminology it represents. so suck it!) 😉

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Subbed was prepped and ready to go, just had not entered cc detail and now we wait