Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wichita Coin Show Newps

hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

I flew down to Wichita, Kansas to see my son and his fiancé for the weekend and go to the Kansas Numismatic Association Coin and Stamp show. First off, let me say that the dealers and staff at the show were some of the nicest people around. The floor had about 1/2 the normal amount of dealers from what I was told. I went on the second day and it was slow and steady traffic all morning long with basically no masks anywhere. I absolutely loved the pace of the show with every table willing to sit and talk a little bit about coins. I did not feel rushed or crowded at all. This was a very fun and relaxing change of pace for me. I sold and traded a bunch of silver to Phil's Coins who was an awesome guy to talk with. He's my son's favorite coin dealer in the Wichita area. My son bought a nice XF 1858 small letter flying eagle from Ken Byrd. We are off to Old Town this evening for some good food and drinks and stopping at a coin and gun shop on the way for fun. I bought a couple bust coins at the end of the show. Sorry for the bad iPhone pictures. Ignore the glare on the 2X2's if you can.

Comments

• Options
    CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report. Sounds like a great day!

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ken Byrd is a great guy . . . . . .

Drunner

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is a neat circ cbh with a semi-circ cam look.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, enjoy the newps

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to hear you enjoyed the show. I was not able to set up or attend the show this time around unfortunately. Phil is always a great person to deal with and he is always very personable.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2021 3:49AM

You’ve brought back wonderful memories for me. Growing up in the northeast, I was one of the very few students from NY at Wichita State University. Graduated Class of ‘72. Yes, Old Town was fun. I haven’t been back in almost the 50 years since. Your post is now making me think I’ll go to that show next year, which will then be exactly 50 years from when I left!

Thanks for the memories!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice acquisitions, and interesting report - Thank you. Did you notice how bullion was moving? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report. I was in Wichita for a couple of days, and also made a stop at the show. Agree with the comfortable atmosphere and friendly dealers. Didn't spend a lot of time, but found a 1922-D peace dollar with some decent toning and strike.

----- kj
  • Options

@ricko said:
    Nice acquisitions, and interesting report - Thank you. Did you notice how bullion was moving? Cheers, RickO

Bullion was hot from what I saw and heard. There was not much gold left on the floor by the time we got there on the second day. Most dealers said they sold it right away on the first day. I sold and traded a bunch of silver for very fair prices without any problems. I was very happy with how willing the dealers were to buy and sell at fair premiums and prices. My son traded some gold and platinum. Only one dealer gave him a strong offer on the platinum and the rest were really not interested.

I went to Tanganyika Wildlife Park today and got the royal treatment. I am really enjoying the people in Wichita. Great hospitality. I am amazed that the hot weather doesn't feel that hot to me with the nice breeze down here. I also understand why wheat futures are traded in Kansas City since I am seeing it all over the place out in the country and harvest looks to be just beginning.

• Options

@winesteven said:
    You’ve brought back wonderful memories for me. Growing up in the northeast, I was one of the very few students from NY at Wichita State University. Graduated Class of ‘72. Yes, Old Town was fun. I haven’t been back in almost the 50 years since. Your post is now making me think I’ll go to that show next year, which will then be exactly 50 years from when I left!

Thanks for the memories!

Steve

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here. The show was pretty small this year because of Covid but the dealers and staff that were there made it worth it. I love experiencing new places especially if I can schedule a coin show as part of the trip and getting to spend time with my son was awesome.

• Options

@morgandollar1878 said:
    Glad to hear you enjoyed the show. I was not able to set up or attend the show this time around unfortunately. Phil is always a great person to deal with and he is always very personable.

I may come back next year just to see Phil again. He was one of the highlights of the show for me. My kind of person! I loved discussing the Glock 23 show security with him ;)

• Options
    edited June 20, 2021 1:10PM

@DRUNNER said:
    Ken Byrd is a great guy . . . . . .

Drunner

Here's the coin my son bought from him.

• Options

The 1858 was marked with doubled die obverse Snow-2, FS-101. Here is the close up.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hchcoin ... Thanks for the follow up... as I expected, bullion was hot. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

A good time cool

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file