Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

US Trade Potty Dollars

I've had an 1873-CC Trade Dollar for decades and recently started thinking about it and realized that some Hobo Nickel collectors have taken the hobby a few steps beyond where it was in the 1970's when I acquired this dollar. They even know who carved some of the nickels. Looking up Hobo Potty Trade dollars, I see quite a few bearing the CC mint mark so I presume the artist lived in the area. The one I have was circulated, a lot, after the art work was applied so I presume the carving occurred in the 1870's or 1880's or maybe later but way before Trade dollars stopped circulating. I gave it the "ring test" and it passed although a wee bit lite for wear and carving. I'm impressed that it's on a 1873-CC as that was the first year of issue and is not a common coin in the series. The mint mark is really faint and worn but there.

Are there any avid collectors out there that can shed some additional info on this coin and the hobby of collecting them in general?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tinkertoy .... Welcome aboard. I have seen quite a few potty dollars at coin shows, but none were worn like yours. Thanks for showing it... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2021 7:27AM

That is a legit 73cc due to mm and date locations.

Below avg carving on an above avg host coin. There are a quite a few CC potty dollars but mostly 74&75 because those are relatively common coins in the series and more likely to stay local. I have only seen 1 or 2 other 73cc over the years

Very cool and sort of in vogue currently. Your coin could be worth around 500$+ at open auction such as a well built eBay listing.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP's coin is highly attractive and skillfully carved.

peacockcoins

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    The OP's coin is highly attractive and skillfully carved.

Agree. It looks like it was carried as a pocket piece for quite awhile judging by the wear.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty tame compared to some I have seen.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

But she's naked! :o

@Smudge said:
    Pretty tame compared to some I have seen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file