Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CRH What do i do?

2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, randomly asked at the my local bank if they had any rolls of half dollars...Yes how many do you want? My reply, How many do you have?....As many as you like! We made a mistake and checked the half dollar box instead of Quarters on the form and are overrun with Halves! I brought home a full box, BUT! They are all 2021-D My question is, Is it worth hanging on to them? Wait to see if any better varieties show up? Pick out a few stellar examples and send to PCGS?

Comments

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven’t followed modern halves, but I thought all Kennedy’s were still NIFC? Which would make these full rolls strange.

• Options

My apologies, NIFC?

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not Intended For Circulation. I’ll let the experts correct me, if I’m wrong. They’ll also have better ideas about what you should do with them!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strange... Did not think that banks were getting rolls/boxes of new half dollars.... Just got that impression from discussions I have read on forums. ICBW.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thank you! Knowledge is power!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds fishy.🐳🐋🐡🐠🐬🐟

• Options

Ricko...Gosh i hate being the newbie...ICBW?

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2windy2fish said:
    Ricko...Gosh i hate being the newbie...ICBW?

I Can Be Wrong

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. That really is strange that you got a full box of 2021-D's. Halves were not intended for circulation since 2002. My best guess on why that happened is a person bought bags of them from the mint and put them in circulation and they were rolled up together which is what you have.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can always deposit them/cash them in at another bank. Or sell on eBay for a small % less than what the mint charges for the rolls.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2021 8:18AM

WOW!

You hit the NIFC jackpot, dude.
    These esp. are
    N=ot
    I=ntended
    F=or
    C=irculation
    You can only get these straight from the Mint. But apparently except YOU! Lol. Like above stated, these sell for a premium. If you don't want to hold all of them ,I'd
    at least hold a few rolls for a future sale and/or search for the most dynamic ones. Number 3 option: like mentioned, just open them all quickly and cash them in hoping you can find a "circulated" box? Just for fun, go to the Mint website and check out what they sell them for.
    Congratulations and keep on hunting.
    Welcome to the forum. -Joey :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2021 9:06AM

All joking aside, I'd contact Coin World or another numismatic publication to report this. There is a story there to be told. If they are solid rolls of 2021D then I can only assume the mint got an order from the Fed for new halfs. That would be newsworthy.

As to what to do with them, they would probably sell at a premium on Ebay. Or you can search them for errors.

• Options

Ok JBK!
    I messaged Paul Gilkes at Coin World and they published an article on June 27. Not many comments on the article itself but one person said they had received one in change at a gas station becuase the station was unable to get quarters at the bank...perhaps the mint is getting a bit desperate for change and subbing 50 cent pieces? There may be a follow up article in the future

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2021 7:22PM

There is a possibility they are cast offs from a dealer doing CRH from mint rolls.

If there is a different branch you could quietly ask who does their carrier services. It’s not like a big secret with big trucks outside the front door.

It is possible to uncrimp one end, push out the coins, re-insert them, and re-crimp.

Don’t return them to the same bank. If you can get a dump bank using a different carrier that would be ideal so you won’t get back previously dumped coins.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2021 7:42PM

One thing about the change shortage idea is that it would take someone notifying the banks about the availability of half dollars as an alternate.

Then, a bank would need to be brave enough to request them.

Also, I’m guessing the carrier has lots of circ half dollars already.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2windy2fish said:
    Ok JBK!
    I messaged Paul Gilkes at Coin World and they published an article on June 27. Not many comments on the article itself but one person said they had received one in change at a gas station becuase the station was unable to get quarters at the bank...perhaps the mint is getting a bit desperate for change and subbing 50 cent pieces? There may be a follow up article in the future

That's great!

I had also sent a note to numismatic writer Louis Galino (snail mail, couldn't find an online contact) and alerted him to this thread.

The rolls have apparently turned up in multiple places so I think the mint has decided to release them into circulation. This is actually a big deal since half dollars have been struck as collector-only coins for many years.

Louis was going to try to get an explanation from the mint.

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2021 9:09PM

Two of my banks said they were ordering boxes of halves (in the "hopes" of getting them) to supplement/offset the coin shortage.

• Options

I was thinking that stacks of boxed half dollars would be stacked with the newest ones on top.

Perhaps they got a load in and you got the cream on top

• Options

Seems fairly likely the explanation will be about the “coin shortage “ and the mint trying to get product out any way they can… it will be interesting to see what the follow up stories tell us

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just got a $500 box of solid 2020 D halves.
    I would guess it's part of the "coin shortage" problem.

• Options

wow

good news for CRH!

• Options

Interesting! ifthevamzarockin...you may want to contact Coin World Paul Gilkes...2020 D? Kinda seems more and more likely this is the US mint releasing product to combat the "Shortage"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file