Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My bank has stopped the half dollar boxes. I'M FREE! Home for an early WEEKEND! Time to Search!

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 17, 2021 8:11PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Yes, sad to say, my actual bank has put a stopper on any more half dollar rolls. They're changing owners and a whole new name. They also told me ,they won't be having any change machines as well. Here's the good part. They sold me their LAST box! Yes, maybe, in my brain this particular box has been lying around and could be an awesome final box? Or is it just wishful thinking? Lol. I can't go through it until tomorrow. No time today or tonight. I'll clue you guys in if interested. Going to have to rely on other banks that I don't have an account with, just their credit card. ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news.

When one bank door closes, another one will open for you somewhere else.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck with the last box Joey....Hope you find two WLH's.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Hopefully you'll find something spectacular in the last box. Is this bank a smaller local bank that has 1 branch or one of those larger banks that has multiple branches?

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    edited June 17, 2021 1:04PM

@Kliao said:
    Wow. Hopefully you'll find something spectacular in the last box. Is this bank a smaller local bank that has 1 branch or one of those larger banks that has multiple branches?

Thanks. Pretty big. TCF. Minnesota based. :*

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@joeykoins said:

@Kliao said:

I am really surprised that such a big bank won't be able to order any more halves for you. Never knew they had coin counters either. I was using BMO as my dump bank a couple years back until they got rid of their counters as well. Part of the reason I've slowed down on my CRH's. Couldn't find another self done counter.

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

They lost a little on each transaction with box and roll hunters, and they apparently could not make it up on volume.

Vplite99
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last box will contain nothing by 90% Walkers and Franklins. It has been sitting the the far reaches of their vault for the past 50 years. :)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@Kliao said:

@joeykoins said:

@Kliao said:

I am really surprised that such a big bank won't be able to order any more halves for you. Never knew they had coin counters either. I was using BMO as my dump bank a couple years back until they got rid of their counters as well. Part of the reason I've slowed down on my CRH's. Couldn't find another self done counter.

I've had a similar situation here. I've been able to work around the problem.

Were you able the mitigate your problem?

• Options

@USSID17 said:

@Kliao said:

@joeykoins said:

@Kliao said:

My solution was less ideal. My bank has some branches with and some with out self serve counters so I use some branches to dump and some to order boxes. There’s also a local credit union that has a counter so I dump there sometimes. I don’t want to anger the tellers which I have done before for filling up the bags in the counters.

• Options

@Kliao said:

@USSID17 said:

@Kliao said:

@joeykoins said:

@Kliao said:

My solution was less ideal. My bank has some branches with and some with out self serve counters so I use some branches to dump and some to order boxes. There’s also a local credit union that has a counter so I dump there sometimes. I don’t want to anger the tellers which I have done before for filling up the bags in the counters.

I think we're singing the same song.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck with the new guys

• Options

@johnny9434 said:
    Best of luck with the new guys

Huntington, thanks. ;)

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vplite99 said:
    They lost a little on each transaction with box and roll hunters, and they apparently could not make it up on volume.

Joey alone forced them to sell

• Options
    edited June 17, 2021 5:22PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@vplite99 said:

Joey alone forced them to sell

Lol. Maybe so? Or it can be those 100's of YouTubers? Did you see how many chase the bank box half dollars? You thought I was bad. Lol :)

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does Champion still exist? When I was a kid, I remember their commercials stating (I think for loans), “when your bank says no, champion says YES!” So maybe try them.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2021 7:47PM

@airplanenut said:
    Does Champion still exist? When I was a kid, I remember their commercials stating (I think for loans), “when your bank says no, champion says YES!” So maybe try them.

Yep, also along those same lines. "The customer is ALWAYS right!" Yeah right. Not nowadays.
    Or, how 'bout, "Have it your way!" :#

• Options
    edited June 17, 2021 9:48PM

Yep, here we GO... :D

First roll!

NIFC ender

I know there will probably be many in this box but I'm going to be very selective. Not keeping too many. I have a ton already. The lowest mintage and the highest condition. ;)

• Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

My bank is trying to say they will only order if you have a business account. I still have a business credit card with them so will see what they say. I bought the last $600.00 in halves that they had, all customer rolled. Sad to say someone already searched them. They did miss one 1968 because it had red nail polish all over it. Half way through, 30 NIFCs and one 1982. Going to order a box tomorrow.

• Options
    edited June 17, 2021 9:53PM

@In4apenny said:

...Going to order a box tomorrow.

So far I'm having the same luck you had. Nothing so far but many NIFC's. A few nice conditioned ones. An '83p and a 1976 too!
    This box isn't what I expected. Oh well. :/
    Good Luck! Find some Silver! ;)

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time to try something different. I’m so tired of hearing about a “coin shortage” and playing stupid each time by saying “ oh really, that’s happening again!”
    When it’s over I’m gonna be like, yes I need two boxes of pennies, a box of nickels, quarters, and a side of half dollars. And yes I DO have an account here :p

• Options

Yes ma’am I’ll take the dimes too :D

• Options

Just found this!

What's he smiling about?

Doesn't he know I haven't found anything good yet?
    :D

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bummer Joey!
    Best of luck and go slow on that last box to make it last!!

On a similar note, I retired fairly recently and moved to a rather isolated little community with just a very few banks. I finally made a visit to the only one I have an account with and inquired about picking up some rolls. I was told right up front that there are already a handful of locals that thoroughly pick over the inventory- pretty much assuring that their stuff is well picked over. I was BUMMED!

Looks like I’m going to add picking up some boxes of coins to my “to do lists” for my big city trips! ;-)

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    edited June 18, 2021 12:51AM

Final bank box, Completed.

No Silver. No varieties. BUT, only these. :/

2018 NIFC's

1976/1983

Toner

Oh well, it's all good, thanks guys! ;)

• Options

@joeykoins said:

What's he smiling about?

I guess thats why part of his face was ripped off :D

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@airplanenut said:

Yep, also along those same lines. "The customer is ALWAYS right!" Yeah right. Not nowadays.

You're not exactly a customer when you aren't buying anything. Stores don't use halves. Banks pay to acquire change. You would have to be a major client for them to subsidize your CRH.

• Options

@joeykoins said:
    Just found this!

What's he smiling about?

Life is Good!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@joeykoins said:

@airplanenut said:

You're not exactly a customer when you aren't buying anything. Stores don't use halves. Banks pay to acquire change. You would have to be a major client for them to subsidize your CRH.

That's the hard truth in a nutshell.

And for anyone who returns the searched halfs to the same bank where you got them, that goes double.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

...You're not exactly a customer when you aren't buying anything. Stores don't use halves. Banks pay to acquire change. You would have to be a major client for them to subsidize your CRH.

How about my bank owning my home and being a loyal customer for 25 years? Isn't that enough? :*

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

...You're not exactly a customer when you aren't buying anything. Stores don't use halves. Banks pay to acquire change. You would have to be a major client for them to subsidize your CRH.

How about my bank owning my home and being a loyal customer for 25 years? Isn't that enough? :*

I know the answer to that...
    I've had an account with WF, they changed policies years ago that you must keep a minimum amount of money in your checking account ($1500 no interest in the account)
    Essentially free money for them...they don't care about you, just your money they can use for free.

I don't CRH but I assume its a lot like mining.
    Volume of material moved to see any results.

• Options

@joeykoins said:

Your bank kept your mortgage? My bank sold mine before I put the pen back in my pocket. :D

It's all about the rapport with the tellers and/or manager. If they are on your good side that counts for more than the 25 years. :*

Heck, at one bank, we even have the manager checking the coin machine for rejects for us.

• Options
    edited June 18, 2021 9:09AM

@JBK said:
    Heck, at one bank, we even have the manager checking the coin machine for rejects for us.

Lol. On that note, two of my branches at one time gave me the defect change. Not in the return bin but what was stuck inside the machine. Now that's cool! :)

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

No, not really. You're asking them to do you a favor by acquiring boxes of coins for you to search. Suppose everybody who walked through the door today expected to pick up a box of half dollars, and that was all. No deposits, no loan applications, nothing else. How long do you think that would last?

@rte592 said:
    I've had an account with WF, they changed policies years ago that you must keep a minimum amount of money in your checking account ($1500 no interest in the account)
    Essentially free money for them...they don't care about you, just your money they can use for free.

If you don't like their policies, you can take your money out and put it in another bank, you know. :)

• Options

I went to pick up some coinage from a bank the other day and the teller complimented me on my under armor golf shirt. He really liked it. Then he produced a half a box a really good looking rolls so I told him I would buy him one like it.
    Then later my wife told me the shirt was $100 :# oh crap.
    But the rolls proved to be worthy (or close) So I went back today without the shirt looking for more which he had a few of, and I explained the hundred dollar cost of the shirt.
    And even though he played it off as it’s really no big deal I know deep down inside he wants that damn shirt.
    And after looking at today’s coins he’ll be getting one.

• Options
    nagsnags Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone happen to know what the fee is for banks to order boxes?

• Options
    edited June 18, 2021 3:27PM

@nags said:

Funny you should mention that. One bank asked ime today If They should order a box of half dollars? Don't have to tell you what I told her! Lol. Now she asked me. I didn't ask her. Also, no mention of a fee. :* This was a bank that I only use their credit card too. ;)

• Options

I thought you gave up roll searching a few weeks ago. :*

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2021 11:41PM

I lost that privilege months ago.

• Options

@JBK said:
    I thought you gave up roll searching a few weeks ago. :*

I did! ;)

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2021 4:27PM

@nags said:

One of my banks charges me 10 cents a roll which amount to $5 per box for cents dimes, quarters, and halves. or $4 per box of dollar coins. I enjoy the search, I gladly pay this fee.
    BBT/Truist where I used to do all my banking(for the past 25 years or more), got irritable, the person in charge of ordering and returning coins, started to get irritating by refusing to let me order coins at all, saying that there "WAS" a coins shortage (This was March 10, there was not a coin shortage at this time). Then she says that if she ordered coins for me, there would not be enough room on the truck for "business coins". A few weeks later I took some coins in to exchange for cash and she cry-babied about having to return them and says "Do you know that we get charged for returning coins?" (I did not answer because this service has always been a free bank courtesy for depositors). So, I closed one of my savings accounts and put the money in 3 other banks. (Well-Fargo, Great Northern and PNC). Before I started these accounts, I asked the bank managers if I could order coins from the federal reserve at this branch. Well, they all said that I could. Wells-Fargo was the best. They asked me "How many do you want?!!! The guy actually wanted me to order more then I did, The current so-called "shortage" non-withstanding, they even ordered quarters for me for next week!!
    Just shitcan bad banks that think that you won't leave, I am going to close my checking account at BBT/Truist and open one in the Wells-Fargo bank. Banks are a dime a dozen where I live.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't received a half dollar in change in about a decade. Clearly, most businesses prefer to use quarters for whatever reason.

So I am glad the banking system is not supporting this denomination. To save money, we ought to eliminate it entirely.

Same for the dollar coins. Either eliminate the dollar bill or eliminate the dollar coin. It is ridiculous to have both. I have spent a few hundred dollar coins, but never received on in change. I doubt our current administration has the brain cells to make a decision.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file