Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I found this laying beside the road. It appears to be a Yuan Shikai dollar. Any ideas?

Best Answers

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of those modern counterfeits that have flooded ebay.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good chance it's magnetic although not all fakes are. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sokr8teze said:
    The writing on the obverse is still a quandary yet to be solved.

It doesn't appear to be writing to me, it looks like the same pattern repeated five times.

• Options
    Top50SetBuilderTop50SetBuilder Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

Its not writing, it is a poor rendition of bats. It is imitating YS-S55 found on Page 122 of Coole's Coins in China's History, 4th Ed.

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, it's a fake/fantasy, with "bats" replacing the usual date-characters.

In China, bats are a symbol of good luck, because the word for "bat" is pronounced "fu", exactly the same as the word for "fortune" or "good luck".

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    Sokr8tezeSokr8teze Posts: 4

Quandary solved. Thank you all!!

Answers

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

looks fake to me. Whats the chances a valuable coin is found lying on the road.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options

Could be. I don't recognize the writing on the obverse. Certainly not Chinese.

• Options

My thanks to all who were generous with their time in answering my question. I'll assume this to be a forgery, for now.
    The writing on the obverse is still a quandary yet to be solved. I have seen that style before, I just can't lay my finger on where. Perhaps I shall suffer through the end language credits to a movie and see if something looks similar. It is also non magnetic. If it serves no other purpose, at least it is a conversation starter.