Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Please Delete Discussion.

ahah Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
edited June 19, 2021 8:05AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Came across these items boxed in the garage.

Please Delete.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow an ‘85 !
    Usually those are 84. Nice stuff for the garage.

• Options

That's what I thought, back to the box in the garage.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice little cache you found!

next step, look through more boxes!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

What does ballistics have to do with a roll of coins????

Ballistics - the science or study of the motion of projectiles, as bullets, shells, or bombs.
    the art or science of designing projectiles for maximum flight performance.

That is just stupid.
    Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

Ballistics - the science or study of the motion of projectiles, as bullets, shells, or bombs.

That is just stupid.
    Cheers, RickO

Hey if you throw anything fast enough it becomes about ballistics right.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

That is just stupid.
    Cheers, RickO

Remember, the Mint calls the big pallet size coin bags "ballistic bags"

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember seeing ads for those gold bar looking ballistic dollar rolls. Extra money for packaging and you could get the same unc dollars at the bank by the roll all day long for face.

• Options

Update, 94 yo father-in-law purchased these items some years back as an investment. See how that worked out.

• Options

@jmlanzaf... And the Mint is wrong as well.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:

LOL. I'm not sure why they call them that, but I imagine that's where they got the bright idea to label the boxes that way.

• Options

@ricko said:

It might be the material they make them out of:

https://canovateballistic.com/ballistic-protective-accessories/ballistic-bag/

• Options

@jmlanzaf.... Those bags are made to contain a 'ballistic' event, so can logically carry the name. And those mint bags could not possibly contain such an event. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @jmlanzaf.... Those bags are made to contain a 'ballistic' event, so can logically carry the name. And those mint bags could not possibly contain such an event. Cheers, RickO

They might be made of the same material. Remember, these are not the small bags of old. These bags hold in excess of 2000 pounds of coins.

• Options

@jmlanzaf.... Unless those mint bags are constructed like this -
    " The unit comprises a heavy duty plastic tube with aramid wrapper placed over a **ceramic plate backed with an aramid laminate board **and contained within a rigid wood frame." - they do not warrant the term 'ballistic'. The bag is constructed to contain a ballistic event... and it is MUCH more than cloth (which would not contain a ballistic event). Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

When I heard what the mint calls those coins, I went ballistic.

Dr. Pete
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Hey, it's almost Father's Day, and I can't help putting out a bad dad joke.

Dr. Pete
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ballistic nylon
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Description
    The original specification for ballistic nylon was an 18 ounce nylon fabric made from 1050 denier high tenacity nylon yarn in a 2×2 basketweave. Today the term is often used to refer to any nylon fabric that is made with a "ballistic weave", typically a 2×2 or 2×3 basketweave. It can be woven from nylon yarns of various denier such as 840 denier and 1680 denier.

Modern uses
    Although ballistic nylon was originally created and used in flak jackets, its durability and cutting resistance have made it useful for non-combat applications. It can be found in backpacks, luggage, belts and straps, motorcycle jackets, watch bands, and knife sheaths. It can also be used for structural purposes, such as on skin-on-frame kayaks.

• Options

@MasonG said:
    Ballistic nylon
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Description
    The original specification for ballistic nylon was an 18 ounce nylon fabric made from 1050 denier high tenacity nylon yarn in a 2×2 basketweave. Today the term is often used to refer to any nylon fabric that is made with a "ballistic weave", typically a 2×2 or 2×3 basketweave. It can be woven from nylon yarns of various denier such as 840 denier and 1680 denier.

Modern uses
    Although ballistic nylon was originally created and used in flak jackets, its durability and cutting resistance have made it useful for non-combat applications. It can be found in backpacks, luggage, belts and straps, motorcycle jackets, watch bands, and knife sheaths. It can also be used for structural purposes, such as on skin-on-frame kayaks.

Nice!

Mystery solved...although @ricko is probably still not satisfied. ;)

• Options

@DrPete said:
    Hey, it's almost Father's Day, and I can't help putting out a bad dad joke.

There's nothing funny about bad dads....

:)

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

are you guys talking about those ballistic bags that come from the mints with something like 100,000 per ballistic bag?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just processed a collection of a neighbor's dad that was fairly similar. Looks of mail order rolls of golden dollars although a few old rolls of Peace dollars & couple hundred face of silver. Not to mention the Ubiquitous bicentennial stuff and Ikes.

The amount that poor guy spent on plated state quarters and fake collectible rolls is shocking, these mail order places clearly target the elderly and set up reoccurring shipments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ah said:
    Update, 94 yo father-in-law purchased these items some years back as an investment. See how that worked out.

That explains it. I was going to ask you whose garage you were searching through. :#

As for the small dollars in the fancy packaging, bull-istic is more like it.

• Options

@MasonG and @jmlanzaf ... Reference the Wikipedia article.... It is again a misapplication of the term. Read the definition. Meanwhile, I am going out to practice with some REAL ballistics. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2021 8:35AM

@ricko said:
    @MasonG and @jmlanzaf ... Reference the Wikipedia article.... It is again a misapplication of the term.

If you say so.

What is Ballistic Nylon?

We are constantly asked about the difference between nylon and “ballistic” nylon? While a succinct answer might reference the high abrasion resistant basket weave of this durable nylon, the longer answer might surprise you.

Created by DuPont during World War II, Ballistic nylon refers to a very specific type of nylon fabric that has been engineered for unrivaled abrasion resistance and maximum durability. In fact, its original intended purpose was for the protection of aircraft personnel as an anti-fragmentation ballistic jacket for the military, guarding them against bullets, shrapnel, and yes… ballistic impacts (which is how the name of this type of fabric garnered its well-described name). Many-and-multiple layers of the thick fabric were laminated together to help stop the exploding shrapnel and fragmentation.

Ballistic nylon has proven largely ineffective for this purpose, however, though still highly regarded as a very tough and highly functional material. By the late ’70s the military had upgraded their armor to a lighter weight Kevlar® and a more effective ceramic plate technology – technology that could actually stop bullets and shrapnel. It is still used in the military, but has expanded for many other applications than for bodily protection against fragmentation. In today’s modern age, ballistic nylon is most commonly used in applications and end-uses in gear that endure consistently repetitious use and abrasion.

https://www.canvasetc.com/ballistic-nylon/

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Likely that 85cc will make all the profit....

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any GSA Carson City dollar is good and an 1885 is better!

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

those $1 coins in the clear tube are likely worth $1 each

I bought a half roll from a bank and only found 1 coin that was maybe a 64.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pleasant surprise find for sure..........

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

That is just stupid.
    Cheers, RickO

I dunno.They talk about "Shotgun" rolls..........................

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

That roll of dollars DOES look like it could be launched from a mortar or small cannon. If the tube opened the dollars themselves could disperse and do some damage.

Military history rattling around my head, they actually did use weapons like that, although they were not filled with coins.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DNADave said:
    Wow an ‘85 !
    Usually those are 84. Nice stuff for the garage.

Or 1882 and 1883. I got multiples of those two dates from the original sale back in the early seventies. That is a very nice find BTW.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice discovery! I found two Morgans in one of my toolboxes in a drawer that I hadn't looked in for years. I have no idea how or why they would be there in the first place.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file