Home U.S. Coin Forum

Opinions of W mint error

smuglrsmuglr Posts: 407 ✭✭✭

Not the best photos, but would appreciate thoughts on these 2 W mint American Samoa quarters. They are from fresh full rolls. In both cases the anomaly is incuse on the coin. On the more severe one maybe 1/3 to 1/2 way below the surface. The area is somewhat shiny in appearance like a proof coin or molten metal. Thanks.

Comments

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2021 7:44PM

Nice struck thru error coin.

PM sent :)

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that seem to be rather large strike throughs. Congrats on the find. I would think those will have a big premium attached to them after grading.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• smuglrsmuglr Posts: 407 ✭✭✭

What might cause that and how would the design detail still be there?

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why so many with a similar strike thru? How does that happen?

Something got in between the die and the planchet when struck.

@Kliao said:
    Wow that seem to be rather large strike throughs. Congrats on the find. I would think those will have a big premium attached to them after grading.

Are they something that would be worth the cost of grading?

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

@JBK said:
    Why so many with a similar strike thru? How does that happen?

Probably sticks to the die but also moves around is my guess.

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smuglr said:

@Kliao said:

Are they something that would be worth the cost of grading?

I would think so and I would if I found them but I'm not an expert in errors. @ErrorsOnCoins and @FredWeinberg can steer you in the right direction on these and advise on value.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smuglr "Are they something that would be worth the cost of grading?"

Yes.

They should bring a good premium if graded. ;)

Nice error and twice as nice to get 2. :)

Thank you Lance. I'm still pretty new to posting. They are a lot better in hand. The photos don't really show the depth and detail.

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    @smuglr "Are they something that would be worth the cost of grading?"

Yes.

They should bring a good premium if graded. ;)

Nice error and twice as nice to get 2. :)

They are actually worth a premium now as is.

Depends on what the OP wants to do with them. Add to a collection, sell for a premium now, or spend money and time to certify and sell for a premium in a couple of months?

• pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find! That's a major error based on what I've read with respect to these coins (chips, doubling and die crack). Those are minor in comparison to this.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it might have been struck through an already struck fragment. If that’s the case, it’s worth multiples of a regular struck-through error.

Designating it simply a “struck thru” error would not be doing it justice, if that’s the case.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Score!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • NomaderNomader Posts: 120 ✭✭

Nice Find!!

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

there's a premium on error fees at the TPGs.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting finds. You said in mint rolls? That is great... Let us know what you decide to do...slab or sell raw... Cheers, RickO

• WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like my recommendation is paying off for you! Congratulations!😎

Thanks to all for your comments and information. Stirs more questions for me. I thought these must be considered errors because of how the design detail remained. I was already very much into the W quarters and now I would like to learn as much as possible about struck through errors. What might be the stuck through item that would not block the design detail? SInce the W mint are relatively low in mintage compared to P or D mint would these be more desirable than the same error on a P or D quarter? @GoldenEgg Is that something I would only find out by having them graded? @derryb The TPGs charge a premium then for grading errors? @RickO No, brand new, fresh rolls of WPF D mint quarters from the bank. A couple more photos of the detail.

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool finds!

• USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are very nice finds. Congrats!

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smuglr said:
    @derryb The TPGs charge a premium then for grading errors?

yes higher fee

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2021 12:17AM

Yes, very cool find! Esp on the new W's.
    I too found a strike through on the new 2021 quarter but not the W, the S mint.

MS 67 Strike Through

@1:00 on the reverse

I show this to give you

HOPE!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

@joeykoins said:
    Yes, very cool find! Esp on the new W's.
    I too found a strike through on the new 2021 quarter but not the W, the S mint.

MS 67 Strike Through

@1:00 on the reverse

I show this to give you

HOPE!

Very nice.
    Thanks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file