Home U.S. Coin Forum

Finding stuff in boxes

MrBearMrBear Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

So...I keep the really expensive stuff (e.g., gold) in an SDB, but most of the rest of my collection was in boxes in the closet in my old apartment. When I moved 8 years ago, I packed a bunch of my coins up myself, because I didn't want the movers to get sticky fingers (although they insisted on repacking them for insurance purposes). Everything went to storage for about a year until I got a house, and the boxes all got stashed away 7 years ago, and I just never had the time to poke around in them. The recent Morgan stuff from the mint kind of got me going again, so I started digging around.

My collection from when I was a kid is missing, but that's probably in a box the attic. I HOPE it's in the attic, although even if it's gone I can't imagine it's worth very much. A few Whitman penny folders, some 70s proof sets, and other random stuff that a kid could afford. Like, if the movers were rooting through my stuff during the three days of transport, is THAT the box they decided to steal, and not the one with the ASEs? Highly unlikely.

Some fun stuff I found so far: a box stuffed full of NORFED and DCarr coins; a box of SGS slabbed ASE's from 1986 to 2008 (all graded 70, of course) as well as a couple of ASE's in flips I must have stuffed in the box; several Talisman Libertas medals - all have the "bronze" COA, even though one is silver; ten each of the 2010 BSA proof & unc commems; ten 2010 proof ASEs still sealed in the shipping box from the mint (First Strike anyone?); some of the 2009 Lincoln stuff, like the 5 coin mint set, and some penny rolls; a bunch of foreign bullion & commems including a bunch of Brittanias, Pandas, some silver/niobium Austrians (and a Latvian) etc. I've also got a bunch of sealed-from-the-mint boxes of stuff that I don't really know WHAT is in it because I was going to submit them for FS, I guess; and a bunch of 2011 9/11 memorial coins that I bought by mistake.

Less fun includes a ton of Mint boxes. Like, I have all eight boxes for the fractional buffs I bought back in the day (even though one disappeared); a box with five 25th Anniversary ASE boxes in it, including the receipt for my submission to PCGS for all 25 coins, which are long since sold; a bunch of random capsules and coin holders, etc.

I'm not really upset about my childhood collection possibly being gone, but in some ways it's probably a little more interesting than the stuff that I've dug through already.

Occasionally successful coin collector.

Comments

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back to the fold.

Now sell the bullion and buy something cool!

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• MrBearMrBear Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

I probably will. I'm wondering what to do with the ASE's, though. Do I send them in (proofs & SGS) to PCGS to get graded? I paid about $45 each for the proofs, and the SGS ones were about $25 each. I'm assuming that the latter are all genuine, albeit not MS70. It's probably not worth getting them graded.

@MrBear said:

@DelawareDoons said:

I probably will. I'm wondering what to do with the ASE's, though. Do I send them in (proofs & SGS) to PCGS to get graded? I paid about $45 each for the proofs, and the SGS ones were about $25 each. I'm assuming that the latter are all genuine, albeit not MS70. It's probably not worth getting them graded.

Almost certainly not. I'd get some offers from people here on the BST and go from there... Check what wholesale is first maybe.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

edited June 13, 2021 5:44PM

I was just thinking about the FUN show. I could do a day trip to Orlando. Then I saw it was the second weekend in July and unfortunately, that's not a good weekend for me. If it was a month later, I'd be good to go.

At least I can organize this stuff better. I found some Pandas, Franc Ultimes, and French centennial Statue of Liberty coins scattered across several different boxes. Gotta consolidate that stuff!

@MrBear said:
    I was just thinking about the FUN show. I could do a day trip to Orlando. Then I saw it was the second weekend in July and unfortunately, that's not a good weekend for me. If it was a month later, I'd be good to go.

At least I can organize this stuff better. I found some Pandas, Franc Ultimes, and French centennial Statue of Liberty coins scattered across several different boxes. Gotta consolidate that stuff!

You could just do what I am going to do and leave it for somebody else to deal with when you croak. :lol:

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nine years ago I was clearing out old boxes of ??? I came across a box with coins. Hey, I was an o.k. collector as a kid. But the best part was all the foreign coins. I had forgotten them. They were all given to me by my uncles. All of them were coins that they picked up as servicemen during WWII and after. WOW! Some good stuff! EUROPE. AUSTRALIA. JAPAN. PERU. I miss those men....every day. They were my friends and my HEROS!

@DelawareDoons said:

You could just do what I am going to do and leave it for somebody else to deal with when you croak. :lol:

That's what the rock collection is for! :D

• KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad about your childhood collection. The Norfed stuff sounds cool.

• Bruce7789Bruce7789 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Nine years ago I was clearing out old boxes of ??? I came across a box with coins. Hey, I was an o.k. collector as a kid. But the best part was all the foreign coins. I had forgotten them. They were all given to me by my uncles. All of them were coins that they picked up as servicemen during WWII and after. WOW! Some good stuff! EUROPE. AUSTRALIA. JAPAN. PERU. I miss those men....every day. They were my friends and my HEROS!

Just goes to show how old I'm getting. I totally either forgot or missed the war in Peru!.....sigh

@Kccoin said:
    Too bad about your childhood collection. The Norfed stuff sounds cool.

It might not be gone. I'm just not going to climb up into a 130 degree attic to dig around in boxes. Maybe in October. :D

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once you get organized, you might try the BST here....no fees, and a lot of interested coin collectors, many with long history on the forum. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

edited June 14, 2021 8:02AM

@Bruce7789 said:

@Hydrant said:

Just goes to show how old I'm getting. I totally either forgot or missed the war in Peru!.....sigh

It's called World War II for a reason. The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant's father was in the Merchant Marines. He shipped from Long Beach, CA. Final destination was Australia. Port of call in Peru. One of the ships that he was on was attacked and almost sunk while en route from Lima, Peru to Australia. He lost the index and middle finger on his right hand during the attack. It was a "WORLD WIDE" war. Hence the name.....World War II.

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some quick thoughts:
    ~Proof ASEs (and bullion to some degree as well) are at a high point for the last few years...several people here are advertising that they are buying
    ~Carr items have a big following from a few people on here (especially if you have something less common).
    ~There was also someone on here looking for a 2004 Latvian niobium coin (so if that is the one you have and are looking to sell, look at the world buy sell trade forum). I collect the Austrian niobium (it's a great series) but I have all of them; they are popular and sell fairly well on eBay.
    ~Norfeds are popular too and certain types draw large premiums

It's cool that you found this box and hopefully the childhood collection will show up too (sounds like it is in the attic and you will find it as the weather cools down).

edited June 14, 2021 7:59AM

As a teenager, my mother was an airplane spotter in Sedan, Kansas. Last time I was there the little tower platform was still there. She pointed it out to me. She told me that she never spotted any enemy planes. Her favorite brother was a pilot. Shot down and killed over Germany. She wanted to do her part.
    Peru, Germany, even KANSAS! A veritable WORLD WAR!!!!!

@U1chicago said:
    Some quick thoughts:
    ~Proof ASEs (and bullion to some degree as well) are at a high point for the last few years...several people here are advertising that they are buying
    ~Carr items have a big following from a few people on here (especially if you have something less common).
    ~There was also someone on here looking for a 2004 Latvian niobium coin (so if that is the one you have and are looking to sell, look at the world buy sell trade forum). I collect the Austrian niobium (it's a great series) but I have all of them; they are popular and sell fairly well on eBay.
    ~Norfeds are popular too and certain types draw large premiums

It's cool that you found this box and hopefully the childhood collection will show up too (sounds like it is in the attic and you will find it as the weather cools down).

The maid is coming on Wednesday, so I don't want to leave a bunch of stuff laying around. I'll break out the Carr/NORFED box afterwards and take some pix for everyone's amusement.

Yeah, when I saw the niobium stuff 10-12 years ago, I thought it was pretty cool and started buying them. The Latvian coins were also made by the Austrian mint. I have the purple one (Coin of Time II). The 2004 one was the first "Coin of Time." I haven't gotten any of them since about 2010 I think. Maybe I should start getting them again. I'm about ten years behind!

Looks like my SGS "MS70" coins are real. Or, at least, they're not steel. I checked with a magnet. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file