Home Sports Talk

Biggest rip offs in sports history.

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

What games or events make the top 10 ?

I’ll start with our 63-0 Olympic men’s basketball team in the 1972 Olympics.
Had never lost a game ever in the Olympics until the refs gave in to the Russian coaches complaints and we finally lost our first one.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pernell Whitaker got robbed against Julio Cesar Chavez back in 1993.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Music City Miracle. It was a forward lateral!

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

the guy who got robbed of a no-hitter a few years ago when the ump missed the call of him covering first base

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Saints vs Rams - The no-call heard round the world. Nope, no pass interference here.

I was watching the men's marathon during the 2004 Athens Olympics, and Vanderlei Cordeiro De Lima of Brazil had a big lead on everyone at the 22 mile mark and it looked like he was going to cruise to an olympic gold medal, and then a crazy fan came running out of nowhere and shived him off the course and into the crowd, which allowed the runners behind him to catch up and pass him. He ended up with the bronze medal, when he should have won gold. A shame.

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://youtu.be/uQxp-A5uvkA

Let's try this video.

Videos not playing on this site for some reason. It was the 2014 NFC divisional playoff game Cowboys vs Packers where absolute highway robbery occurred when this catch was ruled "not" a catch.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:
    Videos not playing on this site for some reason. It was the 2014 NFC divisional playoff game Cowboys vs Packers where absolute highway robbery occurred when this catch was ruled "not" a catch.

Videos play fine.

Just click the underlined message: Watch on YouTube

@stevek said:

@LandrysFedora said:

Videos play fine.

Just click the underlined message: Watch on YouTube

Thanks Steve.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

red sox babe ruth sale qualify?

john rahm getting dq'd for covid w 6 stroke lead in jacks tourney.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2021 7:39PM

@doubledragon said:
    Saints vs Rams - The no-call heard round the world. Nope, no pass interference here.

The Rams got payback for that call from the refs in the Super Bowl and all through the next season. I was at the Super Bowl in Atlanta. WHAT A JOKE. The fix was in.

edited June 13, 2021 7:55PM

Everyone has seen that Rams vs. Saints play. If you can find it......watch the final seconds of the Rams vs. Bills game last season. The Rams demolished the Bills. BUT.....the Bills won. YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHING UNTIL YOU'VE SEEN THAT RIP OFF.

Bottom line......Josh just had to win. Just like Drew. It's all about television and where the big market is.

Also, it's worth watching a replay of that game just to see Aaron Donald take the Bills apart. I have NEVER seen anything like it. He might just be the best ever.

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭

When you purchase 3 $500 tickets to the Spurs/Heat game and James, Wade, Allen and Bosh are out due to "LOAD MANAGEMENT".

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Biggest ripoff in sports are the food and beverage prices at games!

• paulb71paulb71 Posts: 272 ✭✭✭✭

Biggest Rip offs !!!!!!

that the Sacramento Kings and the Seattle Mariners have the balls to actually charge fans to watch their games
    this point can not be argued that these are the 2 most pathetic teams in sports history !!!!

@Mickey71 said:
    When you purchase 3 $500 tickets to the Spurs/Heat game and James, Wade, Allen and Bosh are out due to "LOAD MANAGEMENT".

Or......when you purchase 10 season tickets for the Rams and the entire 2020 season is a no go.

@VikingDude said:
    Biggest ripoff in sports are the food and beverage prices at games!

$14 for a beer at Rams games. That still doesn't keep a lot of idiots from getting stone drunk. What a waste.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2019 snoozer, I mean super bowl. That stupid last field goal cost me ~$600 or so on our bar squares.

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@paulb71 said:
    Biggest Rip offs !!!!!!

that the Sacramento Kings and the Seattle Mariners have the balls to actually charge fans to watch their games
    this point can not be argued that these are the 2 most pathetic teams in sports history !!!!

Seattle has an NHL team next year. They have the 2nd pick in the draft. Will be interesting to see fan support.

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Astericks world series win and the Manfraud investigation. double whammy ripoff

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
    edited June 14, 2021 1:56PM

the movie “rudy”.

kid was offsides.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    the guy who got robbed of a no-hitter a few years ago when the ump missed the call of him covering first base

Armando Galarraga. I'll go to my grave believing MLB should change that game to a perfect game.

@Goldenage said:

Seattle has an NHL team next year. They have the 2nd pick in the draft. Will be interesting to see fan support.

Their season tickets are already sold out. They will have massive fan support locally. Nationally, they'll get a lot of pub because of the cool name and logo.

100% correct call by the rule. And karma given the way the refs screwed Detroit the previous week against Dallas.

2002 NBA Western Conference Finals Game 6, LA Lakers vs Sacramento Kings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTBrb92ZbLc

Yes, I'll have two hot dogs, hold the onion, and a Coke. "Sir your total comes to $41.75"

@doubledragon said:
    Yes, I'll have two hot dogs, hold the onion, and a Coke. "Sir your total comes to $41.75"

Good call on holding the onion. With them, it was $64.25.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

$17 a game NFL package in front of my big screen with $.30 Pepsi’s and $.10 wings.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@Tabe said:

100% correct call by the rule. And karma given the way the refs screwed Detroit the previous week against Dallas.

Maybe this was a "makeup" or "karma" call or however you want to call it based on your statement from the previous week's game. If so, someone should have been investigated. It was a catch with a football move afterwards of 3 or more steps. 2 wrongs don't make a right in this case. Huge screw job!

@LandrysFedora said:

@Tabe said:

Maybe this was a "makeup" or "karma" call or however you want to call it based on your statement from the previous week's game. If so, someone should have been investigated. It was a catch with a football move afterwards of 3 or more steps. 2 wrongs don't make a right in this case. Huge screw job!

What's frustrating is the line judge right there at the spot made the correct initial call of catch/football move and receiver down by contact via elbow at the 1 yard line.

@LandrysFedora said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@Tabe said:

What's frustrating is the line judge right there at the spot made the correct initial call of catch/football move and receiver down by contact via elbow at the 1 yard line.

Sorry I meant side judge.

• Canes8387899101Canes8387899101 Posts: 283 ✭✭✭

My user name should have '02 after it. Latest PI flag thrown I have ever seen.

@Canes8387899101 said:
    My user name should have '02 after it. Latest PI flag thrown I have ever seen.

From one Canes fan to another I feel your pain. My wife (UM alum) has a screensaver with the U on top with 00:00 left on that game clock before that tardy PI flag was thrown.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree they got it wrong. It was obviously Defensive Holding.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

Had never lost a game ever in the Olympics until the refs gave in to the Russian coaches complaints and we finally lost our first one.

I had never done much reading in this topic. After opening this thread, I spent some time on it. Very interesting stuff. It is very powerful, in my opinion, thinking how none of them ever accepted a silver medal.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@Goldenage said:

I had never done much reading in this topic. After opening this thread, I spent some time on it. Very interesting stuff. It is very powerful, in my opinion, thinking how none of them ever accepted a silver medal.

There’s also a FABULOUS HBO sports documentary on the entire thing. To read about it is one thing, to see it all play out is another.

It was simply put a miscarriage of sports justice and a complete fraud of a game’s ending.

Doug Collins performance in that entire Olympic Games was special, too. The American team was amateur and the Russians were pros. We stayed amateur until 1988.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• dalstar66dalstar66 Posts: 51 ✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Everyone has seen that Rams vs. Saints play. If you can find it......watch the final seconds of the Rams vs. Bills game last season. The Rams demolished the Bills. BUT.....the Bills won. YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHING UNTIL YOU'VE SEEN THAT RIP OFF.

Bottom line......Josh just had to win. Just like Drew. It's all about television and where the big market is.

You mean the game that the Bills jumped out to a 28-3 lead, then took their foot off the gas. That game?
    The game that the refs gave the Rams an interception that wasn't an interception. That game?
    The game that Josh Allen stiffed armed 2 Rams defensive lineman, then swatted Donald away like a fly. That game?
    The game that the Rams defender illegally contacted the Bills receiver past 5 yards down field. That game?

Just want to make sure we're talking about the same game.

"demolished"?
    "big market"?

Didn't realize leading 28-3 was getting demolished, or Buffalo NY had a bigger market then LA

Collecting Vintage Football - Rc's

1959 Topps Football need help finishing
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Buffalo Sabres losing the Stanley Cup to Dallas on a goal that should not have counted, due to Brett Hull's foot being in the crease!

Steve

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@craig44 said:

Armando Galarraga. I'll go to my grave believing MLB should change that game to a perfect game.

His spikes and the first base bag is in Cooperstown

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2021 12:28AM

@Tabe said:

Forgetting about the screw job the Lions got against the Cowboys the week before for a second. Every Líons fan who saw the Dez play against the Packers live knew immediately that was not a catch by the rules. I was yelling no catch at the TV at the top of my lungs. Lions fans had that same call go against Calvin Johnson twice in game ending situations. No catch by the rules and that's why it was overturned by replay. No catch

It was one of the few times in my life I was openly rooting for the Cowboys.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......