PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2022 3:59PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    edited June 12, 2021 1:53PM

I believe it use to be Potosi correct when do they become Reales from Bolivia?

• Options

Anyone care to explain?

• Options
    edited June 14, 2021 6:12PM

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

1767 to 1770

• Options
    edited June 12, 2021 6:33PM

@WCC said:
    1767 to 1770

The one I own above from 1823 from when did that series start and end? I am confused were not these part of Potosi mints 1767 to 1770? Then after what exactly happened?

• Options

Does anyone now the history of pillars with the PTS mint? I am not even sure if this makes any sens.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2021 6:59PM

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

@WCC said:
    1767 to 1770

The one I own above from 1823 from when did that series start and end? I am confused were not these part of Potosi mints 1767 to 1770? Then after what exactly happened?

The designs changed from Pillars to Portraits. The Spanish colonial Potosi type ran until 1825 and then the Spanish were kicked out and the Republican issues commenced.

• Options
    edited June 12, 2021 7:28PM

@Boosibri said:

@WCC said:
    1767 to 1770

The designs changed from Pillars to Portraits. The Spanish colonial Potosi type ran until 1825 and then the Spanish were kicked out and the Republican issues commenced.

And the portraits like my 1823 those are from Potosi up to 1825? So PTS stands for Potosi? I am new to all this unlike Mexico were I have learned a lot in the last year.

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@WCC said:
    1767 to 1770

And the portraits like my 1823 those are from Potosi up to 1825? So PTS stands for Potosi? I am new to all this unlike Mexico were I have learned a lot in the last year.

Yes. PTS stands for Potosi. Portraits were issued from 1774 to 1825. Cobs from 1771-1773 after pillars discontinued.

• Options
    edited June 13, 2021 8:54AM

Does anyone now the history of pillars with the PTS mint? I am not even sure if this makes any sens.

Gilboy has a section on it.

If you are interested in buying this coinage, The 1769 and 1770 8R is somewhat available and so is the 1770 4R There are a low number of nice ones for these coins.

Everything else?

Most of the dates are absolutely "common" compared to Guatemala or Peru Charles III but there are almost no decent coins available or to my knowledge, better quality known. A noticeable proportion are holed, per both my observations and Yonaka's survey, less for the 4R though seldom for the 8R.

• Options

@WCC said:

Gilboy has a section on it.

If you are interested in buying this coinage, The 1769 and 1770 8R is somewhat available and so is the 1770 4R There are a low number of nice ones for these coins.

Everything else?

Most of the dates are absolutely "common" compared to Guatemala or Peru Charles III but there are almost no decent coins available or to my knowledge, better quality known. A noticeable proportion are holed, per both my observations and Yonaka's survey, less for the 4R though seldom for the 8R.

This helps a lot thank you very much for taking the time to answer as well as all others that did.