Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rarer CBH (1827 O-121), but ...

pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 13, 2021 9:35AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Well, sometimes we take chances ... at least many of us do.

Unattributed with terrible, blurry pictures that made the color look golden-tangerine (so I knew the white balance was off), there are specific markers on the reverse that convinced me this was a O-121, which is listed in some places as an R3 and others as an R4.

Found a TrueView, which makes me question other things, but, PCGS straight grade, so I think, well, I'll throw out a low ball offer and see. Seller accepts in the middle of the night.

At the moment I wake up and see that I think ... Crap, did I make a mistake? Did I get the grade wrong? The marriage? Is this an R4 (as I think it is) or an R3 as certain places show? Are there issues I didn't factor?

Well, when you roll the dice and you take your chances.

I'm not going to say whether I think I won or lost yet, and I'm not going to show the TrueViews (yet) as they are shot under totally different lighting conditions and unlike many coins, IMO, The TrueViews are not flattering. Of course, mine aren't always either.

Did I attribute it right? Your thoughts on the grade? R3, or R4 (assuming it's the 121)?

All comments appreciated.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

Comments

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see you’re becoming one of them there Nuts. 👍😄

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stman said:
    I see you’re becoming one of them there Nuts. 👍😄

Come on, now, Steve...You know that I'm the only one nuts about '27s. As for the OP, yes, it's O-121. I list it as an R-3. A lot tougher than R-3 in undamaged AU and above, though

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, two of my favorite posters! :) And one even made a grade guess ;)

Also, thank you @OKbustchaser for the confirmation. I couldn't see it being anything else, but the 3rd Edition has some verbiage that is a little misleading in my mind. Like 27's can't be hard enough to attribute some days. :p

FWIW, I just was given a piece of information I didn't have earlier today, from another Steve, which was published a little earlier this year. That document, which I am told is now public information, explains some of my confusion in the rarity rankings I have seen and read for this and several other marriages. This particular marriage was revised upwards in the latest Rarity Estimates from R3 on 2004 to a R4 in 2020 by the BHNC.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice O.121 Todd!

And yes, I agree, this die marriage is certainly tougher in the AU grades and higher. Seem like you snagged yourself a nice…AU53?

Whatever the grade…she’s quite nice, congrats!

Dave

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice work, Todd.

The O.121 was changed to an R4 recently.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file