Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Tell me what you think of this 1876-S Trade Dollar...

scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

and guess the grade if you like! This is for my own educational purposes, so don't feel like you have to be nice. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    d9lowed9lowe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭✭

Nice looking coin, but i know nothing about TDs. But its MS im sure

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a 66 with an unfortunate abrasion in the right obverse field. Call it 64+

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its a beauty. Looks like a 64 to me.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s lustrous and overall very clean, but my eye keeps getting drawn to that mark behind Liberty. I’d call it a 64, though the mark is enough that, clean surfaces aside, I think I’d look for a different example.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2021 8:05PM

I think it’s a 62 because of that hit on libertys face and all of that stuff behind Liberty, but with the luster and overall look that would have made it a 66 without them

Mr_Spud

• Options
    JRGeyerJRGeyer Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

• Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

Nice coin

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'd be at 64+, but I think it would bring strong money for that grade.

• Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a nice coin, whatever the grade. I would guess 65.

Yours is a Type I obverse, Type I reverse. That is the most common obverse/reverse combination for 1876-S Trade Dollars. I'd estimate that 60 percent of all 1876-S Trades are I/I. The other combinations are I/II and II/II.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is better than any I have. If you don't like that Trade Dollar, you don't like Trade Dollars at all. MS64+

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS64. Great looking coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with this. A few years ago I bought a very similar coin in 62 at a show and put it in my case. It sold within an hour for 63+ money!

@Mr_Spud said:
    I think it’s a 62 because of that hit on libertys face and all of that stuff behind Liberty, but with the luster and overall look that would have made it a 66 without them

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 Great looking coin

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2021 4:46AM

@amwldcoin said:
    I agree with this. A few years ago I bought a very similar coin in 62 at a show and put it in my case. It sold within an hour for 63+ money!

@Mr_Spud said:

I (and clearly, several others ) believe that MS62 is way too low for that coin. A “hit”, like what’s see on on Liberty’s face , typically wouldn't preclude a grade of at least MS65. And even combined with “all of that stuff behind Liberty”, a grade below MS64 would seem conservative. Go look at pictures of MS62 Trade Dollars.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The marks mentioned above, and some rim dings.... many of which are noticeable due to the magnification... Nice luster, and in hand would look even better. I can see a 64...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm also considering the abrasion in the Right Obv. field. That for sure knocks it out of 65 territory for me. My point is there are a lot of nice trade dollars in 62 out there. I do believe the 1 I had was graded correctly and looked very close to this coin. Of course I'm grading from the pictures.

@MFeld said:

@amwldcoin said:

@Mr_Spud said:

I (and clearly, several others ) believe that MS62 is way too low for that coin. A “hit”, like what’s see on on Liberty’s face , typically wouldn't preclude a grade of at least MS65. And even combined with “all of that stuff behind Liberty”, a grade below MS64 would seem conservative. Go look at pictures of MS62 Trade Dollars.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I agree with most that it’s a 64 or 64+, I’ll be the first to respond to your main question, which you asked in the title of your post - what do we think about this coin?

I love it! Yes, the majority of collectors prefer coins with toning to prove originality, but this coin has only very very slight toning. The luster appears to show its beauty in all its glory, unhindered by heavier toning!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I think I see rub, there’s marks and it’s probably been dipped, I’d like to buy it as a 58.....lol.

Seriously, that coin looks lock 64 shot 65. And it should be in a top tier tpg holder and offered via auction to serious and knowledgeable buyers.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

...I think I'd be eating popcorn while watching people bid up an MS64+ Trade Dollar!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's good to know that most people like this coin as much as I do. I was afraid I was looking at it with rose colored glasses, similar to how a mom always thinks her son is so handsome. :D

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice looking MS Trade Dollar. I'd agree with the others that called it 64, though I've seen many 64's that don't have nearly the eye appeal.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking trade dollar!
    Agree with apparent consensus 64
    Is that the PCGS grade?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a 64.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scotty4449 said:
    It's good to know that most people like this coin as much as I do. I was afraid I was looking at it with rose colored glasses, similar to how a mom always thinks her son is so handsome. :D

And sons that always think moms cooking is the best.

So do tell. What is the grade on it?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file