Home U.S. Coin Forum

Polished, Mounted, Common Date $20 - My Favorite Coin

PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a quick little cool story about why this mounted and polished common date coin is my favorite.

My Grandpa was born in 1931 and would have been in his early teens at the time so our best guess puts the time frame right during the war. He was working in a small family owned grocery store at the time. He was sweeping up one night and came across this $20 gold coin. He went to his boss with it who must have been an amazing gentleman himself because he said "it's yours!". He held onto the coin his entire life as his prized possession and now it will hopefully be equally as prized in my family for generations to come. I can't say if I was his age and had a windfall like that in today's dollars I would have held onto it but so glad he did!

Comments

• truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome story and wonderful family heirloom

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. I found a 5 dollar bill in some bushes once.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing. Great story!

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

A cool story. B)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fact that these were illegal to own when your grandfather found it adds mystery and intrigue to the story.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool story, great heirloom, nice bezel. What's not to like.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story and a beautiful family heirloom. Personal collector coins were allowed even during the gold recall program. Cheers, RickO

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which one of your ancestors polished it? ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. Why would there be a $20 gold piece on the floor in 1945?

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story to go along with a nice $20 gold.

Memories, priceless!!!

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Interesting. Why would there be a $20 gold piece on the floor in 1945?

No idea but it would have definitely been between 1943-1946 sometime wish he was still alive to ask more specifics about it what I know is what my mom knows about it.

@PerryHall said:
    Which one of your ancestors polished it? ;)

He did himself I'm sure! He also got it appraised about 25 years ago apparently by someone who had no idea what they were talking about because they appraised it at $8,000 when it was worth probably $200-300. Thankfully the value doesn't matter so it wasn't so difficult when I gave my mom the reality check of what it was actually worth haha

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file