Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1941 s Mercury Dime Large S FS-511?

HenryOHenryO Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

Slow day at the office, so I was looking over some "dreck" mercs I bought in bulk last year. I have since almost filled a Whitman folder, and have recently started to get interested in varieties. Have I stumbled upon a large S variety here?

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2021 2:28PM

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks right to me, though I have only seen them in low grades. Nice pick up.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    blaircountycoinblaircountycoin Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

100% Yes. Nice find!

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! Now find that S on a 1943 :smile:

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

@cmerlo1 said:

Like this? o:)

I actually got lucky and was the only bid on this one last week. Its what got me to looking through what I had and sparked the interest in the varieties.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HenryO said:

@cmerlo1 said:

I actually got lucky and was the only bid on this one last week. Its what got me to looking through what I had and sparked the interest in the varieties.

That's awesome! The 1943-S trumpet-tail is really rare. I've only ever found one, an AU, after looking at lots of 1943-S dimes over the years.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

@cmerlo1 said:

@HenryO said:

@cmerlo1 said:

That's awesome! The 1943-S trumpet-tail is really rare. I've only ever found one, an AU, after looking at lots of 1943-S dimes over the years.

Wow, I did not know it was that hard to find! I guess I was lucky that day. No one else bid so I got it for $5.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks as if you cherrypicked yourself on that one.... and good catch on the '43. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2023 8:33PM

@cmerlo1 said:

Editing this post to say that my 1943 s/s in an ANACS slab seems to look like a Ball serif S over a trumpet tail S but picture is not very clear.
    Is it my imagination? Would really appreciate inputs from the experts on it.
    Thanks in advance.
    Cheers.

:smile:

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HenryO said:

@cmerlo1 said:

@HenryO said:

@cmerlo1 said:

Wow, I did not know it was that hard to find! I guess I was lucky that day. No one else bid so I got it for $5.

fun fact. while it is called a large S and truly, it is larger than the normal smaller S, this S punch is actually called a trumpet tail, which is why i posted one above. ;)

the actual large S has a straight large serif at both ends of the S, not a ball like the trumpet tail does at the bottom. If it had a ball at the top and bottom of the S, it is then the Ball Serif S.

we see these 3 types all over coinage of this era.

just one of those inconsistencies, ya know.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file