Home U.S. Coin Forum

Legendary Franklin resells for 63% less than $129,250 price

Comments

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2021 10:36AM

@U1chicago said:
    MS 66 still seems like the right grade. :*

Ouch. The color also looks less bold and less colorful to boot.

@U1chicago

At least it didn’t green bean the grade below like one of the “legendary” Hansen dimes.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2021 1:16PM

@coinbuf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Personally, I don't think it's a 67. But it is much better than a 64.

@jmlanzaf said:
    That coin was graded multiple times, was it not? That coin also received CAC designation, so there's a second set of eyes on the coin. For anyone to sit there, having never seen the coin in hand, and suggest that the MULTIPLE professionals who have handled the coin are all wrong is the height of arrogance.

Just to clarify which statement are you standing behind? You say its not a 67 (it is graded 67+ with CAC) and then you comment that saying its not a 67 and not worthy of the CAC is the height of arrogance. It would seem that you are just as guilty of arrogance that you claim another is, or have you seen this coin in person and that gives you the ability to comment on the grade and sticker. >:)

No. I accept it as a PCGS 67+ CAC.

my personal grading standards are a bit old school. I like my VF buffs too have a full horn, for example. But there is a difference between declaring your personal preference and questioning the integrity of PCGS, CAC and Legend which is what was happening here.

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

We play GTG every day on countless threads.

No different, though we all might get the ban hammer for this one...

Zooming in probably doesn't help any coin, but I don't see MS67+ based on my in hand examples. Color must have been something special.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

The discussion about this particular coin and the two most recent sales of same is something that likely mirrors the following:

1. the judging of gymnastic competitions;

2. the judging of diving competitions;

3. the judging of ice skating competitions;

4. the judging of beauty contest competitions;

5. the judging of body building competitions;

6. the judging of singing competitions;

7. the judging of musical instrument competitions;

8. the judging of classic automobiles;

9. the authentication of antiquities;

10. the reconstruction of (or construction of ) an item's "Provenance";

11. the judging/evaluation of competing "experts" hired by parties to legal disputes that end up in court or in arbitrations; and/or

12. the judging/evaluation of scientific "experts" by non scientists (i.e. politicians and/or business leaders who have to make decisions about urgent matters, such as how to respond to Covid 19).

Subjectivity reigns in all of the above (along with a variety of factors/reasons/motivations that come into play when decisions are being made).

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of coins that I think 47 grand would be a fair price. That Franklin isn't one of them. To each his own.

• robecrobec Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@david3142 said:

@Lazybones said:
    JA should start using a black CAC sticker. It should be called the "Are you out of your freakin mind?" sticker. This coin would certainly qualify.

You do realize that this coin has a green sticker, right?

It got the CAC sticker twice.

When a coin comes in with a new cert, does JA look at it again or just sticker it without rechecking the grade?

What was the coin’s grade with the previous sticker?

@No Headlights said:
    There are a lot of coins that I think 47 grand would be a fair price. That Franklin isn't one of them. To each his own.

And I can't think of a single coin I would pay 47 grand to add to my collection.

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@No Headlights said:

And I can't think of a single coin I would pay 47 grand to add to my collection.

Oooohhhh ... an 1817/4 CBH or 76-CC 20c for 47 grand ... oooohhhhhh, yeah. I'll wake up now. ;)

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • WCCWCC Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

Haven’t you expressed an opinion that virtually all US coins are expensive and not prominent? This is relative to the world coins you’ve compared them to on these forums.

Saying not a single Franklin is noteworthy seems to be a pretty encompassing statement.

Yes, I have said that most expensive US coins are not prominent, but it's even more true of world coinage. It has nothing to do with what I collect. There is a big difference between the 1804 dollar (or one of the very few similar coins) mentioned above in this thread which actually is prominent.

Only a low proportion of the collector base reads this forum, a somewhat higher proportion presumably reads sources like Coin Week (if reported there) and far fewer participate in the registry for this series, in the hundreds.

It's not something to be proven one way or the other, but I don't believe most collectors of this series even know this coin exists, for the reasons I just gave you.

As for noteworthy, my standard is a lot higher than yours. I don't consider any coin noteworthy due to the price, it's TPG grade, or it's eye appeal. It doesn't have to be "rare" but in this instance, we are talking about a coin from a series with one of the lowest preferences among US classics.

So no, I don't consider any coin from a series like this one to meet your definition.

@astrorat said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@No Headlights said:

Oooohhhh ... an 1817/4 CBH or 76-CC 20c for 47 grand ... oooohhhhhh, yeah. I'll wake up now. ;)

I still couldn't do it.

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@astrorat said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@No Headlights said:

I still couldn't do it.

I wish I was burdened with the choice! LOL

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@No Headlights said:

I always wanted a 1848 Cal. 2.5. Neat piece of history. Not sure 47K would get the coin I would want. I will just keep dreaming.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would need to review the Smithsonian's Franklins before saying I wouldn't pay 47K to put any Franklin in my collection. (They have some really good ones. Seriously.)

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2021 2:41PM

@robec said:

@Zoins said:

@david3142 said:

@Lazybones said:
    JA should start using a black CAC sticker. It should be called the "Are you out of your freakin mind?" sticker. This coin would certainly qualify.

When a coin comes in with a new cert, does JA look at it again or just sticker it without rechecking the grade?

I think the reference was to the last auction when it was in the same grade (67+ FBL) and had a sticker. This auction has a new cert number (maybe to add the pedigree?) but same grade and same green sticker.

The coin has been in every holder between MS 66 and MS 67+ (66, 66+, 67, 67+).

• robecrobec Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:

@robec said:

@Zoins said:

@david3142 said:

@Lazybones said:

I think the reference was to the last auction when it was in the same grade (67+ FBL) and had a sticker. This auction has a new cert number (maybe to add the pedigree?) but same grade and same green sticker.

I was just curious since CAC doesn’t distinguish a difference between 67 and 67+. Even with a new Cert number I’ve received replacement stickers on coins going from one grade to a plus.

@No Headlights said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@No Headlights said:

I always wanted a 1848 Cal. 2.5. Neat piece of history. Not sure 47K would get the coin I would want. I will just keep dreaming.

For me, it's not the coin...it's the 47K. Even if I had a billion, I really don't think I could bring myself to tie up that much money in a coin.

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

“The one thing I would add is that I think this is one of the cases where an auction is not a good idea. I think the only way "out" for the previous owner is to consign it as a fixed price offering to a major dealer. I don't know that he could have gotten over $100k. But if it sits on a prominent website long enough, some registry participant may eventually feel the tug. For an auction to work, you need at least two people feeling the simultaneous tug.”

I believe it was on a dealer’s website before turning it over to Legend. Again, IMHO Legend did just fine in the second auction. Sometimes there is simply “no way out”.

I just looked and I am now #6 in the MS FBL Registry as Mr. Hansen has now entered (2) sets in the top 5. So, half of the top 6 sets (just me and Mr. Hansen) had no interest in the coin at even half the price it sold for initially. And, I obviously didn’t bid in the second Legend sale at about 1/3 the price. I haven’t taken the time to see if one of the other top registry set players won the coin this time around.

I see the prior holder (MS66FBL) the coin was in and I am informed from a very strong source there was even a prior holder before that. I will not discuss it though. It really doesn’t matter all that much at this point.

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

@robec said:

@U1chicago said:

@robec said:

@Zoins said:

@david3142 said:

@Lazybones said:

I was just curious since CAC doesn’t distinguish a difference between 67 and 67+. Even with a new Cert number I’ve received replacement stickers on coins going from one grade to a plus.

I think it was a simple resticker after the pedigree changed the cert number.
    I don't know about sticker status in prior grades (might not have even been tried since it was being resubmitted multiple times).

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:

I see the prior holder (MS66FBL) the coin was in and I am informed from a very strong source there was even a prior holder before that. I will not discuss it though. It really doesn’t matter all that much at this point.

Given how obviously gashed the obverse is …. It sure matters to some.

MS64FBL ?

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guys. You just have to get comfortable with market grading.......☹️

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

And obviously, "the market" for pretty color is questionable.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• jedmjedm Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

Laura wrote on May 28, 2021:
    We see many newer collectors who come in and distort the marketplace while being in the throws of a raging hunt. A great example is the collector who bought the 1958 wildly toned Franklin for $129,000.00 out of one of our auctions last year. He finished his set and sold it off-all but this coin. The underbidder clearly lost his taste and we just resold the coin for $47,000.00-OUCH! I guess the thrill hunt was that great of an experience?

When this subject comes up I remember the words of Kipling;
    "If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
    And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;

I gotta admit I'm impressed by the ballsiness of some of the players in this hobby of ours. I don't know, but maybe, the seller didn't loose as much as you think in the grand scheme of things? He sold off the set first - maybe he made a little on those coins? Who knows? Maybe only the owner themself..... Still I'm impressed!!

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

Then why do Morgan toners bring more than Pcgs price guide?

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

ms67+ with CAC ? Really ? I've had Franklins graded that had considerably less marks, nicks, gouges etc. that didn't grade higher than ms65. Granted they weren't toned like the one discussed but 67+ ? Nope, not agreeing with that for a second.

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well this would be a rather HUGE story if the coin went from an MS65 at one time due to the marks to an MS67.5 because of the toning. I think PCGS deliberately under grades Lincoln cents that are BN. And that has been shown statistically.

• bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

What if he sold the other 34 coins for a profit of 60k? Probably not but we dont know. He rolled the dice and crapped out!!!

Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!
    edited June 7, 2021 9:07PM

@tradedollarnut said:
    Then why do Morgan toners bring more than Pcgs price guide?

Why did someone pay $129k for a scarred up Franklin? Just because one or two people might be foolish doesn't mean the coin is really worth that. There a lot of people in numismatics with more money than sense.

Edited to add: Even Laura has made the comment that a lot of these stratospheric prices for toners are not grounded in reality. She said she hated the practice as the coins weren't worth it. This was in one of the deleted Hansen threads. I believe it was in reference to the two uber common Mercury Dimes that fetched over $600k together.

@bigtonydallas said:
    What if he sold the other 34 coins for a profit of 60k? Probably not but we dont know. He rolled the dice and crapped out!!!

He's still in the the hole.

@wondercoin said:
    Here is the very first 67BN cent PCGS ever graded in their history that my daughter Lauren handpicked to submit. 67BN first time, and only time, through. I guess on the right day I should tell her to resubmit for shot 69RB!

Wondercoin

Edited to add... if Legend can get her $46,000+ like they just did on the Franklin, I’ll beg her to sell, sell, sell!

What do you have to lose by resubmitting it? Nice coin with nice surfaces.

edited June 7, 2021 9:01PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinbuf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Personally, I don't think it's a 67. But it is much better than a 64.

@jmlanzaf said:
    That coin was graded multiple times, was it not? That coin also received CAC designation, so there's a second set of eyes on the coin. For anyone to sit there, having never seen the coin in hand, and suggest that the MULTIPLE professionals who have handled the coin are all wrong is the height of arrogance.

Just to clarify which statement are you standing behind? You say its not a 67 (it is graded 67+ with CAC) and then you comment that saying its not a 67 and not worthy of the CAC is the height of arrogance. It would seem that you are just as guilty of arrogance that you claim another is, or have you seen this coin in person and that gives you the ability to comment on the grade and sticker. >:)

No. I accept it as a PCGS 67+ CAC.

my personal grading standards are a bit old school. I like my VF buffs too have a full horn, for example. But there is a difference between declaring your personal preference and questioning the integrity of PCGS, CAC and Legend which is what was happening here.

She declared the coin 1000% clear of surface abrasions and then made an odd comment about a subatomic microscope. Forget about grades and labels here. She declared the coin perfect. When you make ridiculous statements like that on a coin like this, you open yourself up to criticism. CAC for its part is saying that it would pay its buy price for MS67 FBL CAC coins. It doesn't pay extra for toning or pluses. I'd pay that much for it sight unseen too. Not much down side at under $3k.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms71 said:
    The competitive collecting fostered by the registries is something I've never understood. Oh well . . . .

Really? You can't understand the desire to "win" at your hobby? To be acknowledged as the "best" collector? I, apparently like you, have no interest in participating, but I completely understand it

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeez, some of you in this thread act like that Franklin went out and stole your care while making Pepe LePew overtures at your spouse. It's just a coin that went crazy one time and landed with a thunk the time after that. No one is forcing anyone here to pay $129k or $47k, or even to agree with the color or grade. There is no way I would have paid either price for that coin but damn, the ride and the hype was entertaining! I was in Vegas both times when this coin was up for sale, and the atmosphere was truly electric when it was heading for $129k back in 2018.

Reliable sources told me while that collector took a hit for that coin, they made up for it with other sales of other coins that upgraded. Whether you liked this coin or not, the craziness sure added an interesting spark for our hobby. Now off to check out that 1933 double eagle. I'm sure some people will be bitching about that coin too.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no such thing as bad publicity.

Generating "buzz" for the hobby is desired and the subject Franklin half dollar is generating buzz.

Just like numerous ultra rarities do at 7 and 8 figure sales prices instead of at 5 or 6 figure sales prices.

• RubiconRubicon Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2021 3:46AM

I think what most people don’t understand fully is that these Franklins aren’t fundamentally rare coins and have no reason to sell more than 3-5x the white coin price. now add in a truly rare coin with beautiful toning and your have something worth a mighty price

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

Legends buy high sell lower, err much lower.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2021 4:43AM

@blitzdude said:
    Legends buy high sell lower, err much lower.

It was sold at auction both times so this is going a bit far. In both cases, it sold for well above price guide.

The same has happened at other auction houses, as shown by the Mickley 1804 dollar earlier in this thread.

Legend was as surprised as anyone in 2018:

Julie Abrams said:
    This result was completely shocking. We had record bidding on this Superb Gem almost the moment the sale went live. This result was beyond moon money—the result is just unbelievable! Never did we think a Franklin would sell for such a strong bid, it was over 9 times the low estimate!

Ref: https://coinweek.com/auctions-news/legend-auctions/legend-auctions-wild-toned-1958-franklin-half-sold-for-beyond-moon-money/

edited June 8, 2021 4:29AM

@Rubicon said:
    I was in Vegas both times when this coin was up for sale, and the atmosphere was truly electric when it was heading for $129k back in 2018.

Is there a video of this on YouTube like other auctions?

I love watching the auction of @cardinal's 1794 specimen dollar. It's great seeing Laura in action!

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did it have a CAC when it was previously graded 66fbl?

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

I didn't find a YouTube video of the auction, but it was famous enough for someone to create the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRdQic9K-Y0

@U1chicago said:

Here's the quote:

silver_light_collectibles wrote:
    Little did I know this would become one of the rarest and most expensive coins I ever owned a shame I didn’t upgrade this

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    I didn't find a YouTube video of the auction, but it was famous enough for someone to create the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRdQic9K-Y0

And with almost 5000 paid hits!

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

@Zoins said:

@U1chicago said:

Here's the quote:

Little did I know this would become one of the rarest and most expensive coins I ever owned a shame I didn’t upgrade this

Yep he missed out on the upgrade (although it took the next person double digit attempts to get it).

So a bit more on the provenance:

• Silver Light Collectibles
    • Legend Auctions
    • Linda Gail
    • Legend Auctions

@U1chicago said:

@Zoins said:

@U1chicago said:

Here's the quote:

Yep he missed out on the upgrade (although it took the next person double digit attempts to get it).

Nice to have some true believers in the hobby.

For those that haven't clicked through yet, the video on Instagram is nice.

@Zoins said:
    So a bit more on the provenance:

• Silver Light Collectibles
    • Legend Auctions
    • Linda Gail
    • Legend Auctions

I believe Brian Raines owned it too.

@Zoins said:

@U1chicago said:

@Zoins said:

@U1chicago said:

Here's the quote:

Nice to have some true believers in the hobby.

For those that haven't clicked through yet, the video on Instagram is nice.

Do you mean the double digit submissions? I'm not sure I would call that "true believers in the hobby" as it was just capitalizing on the subjectivities and inconsistencies of multiple grading events. I'd argue that a true believer in the hobby wouldn't worry about upgrades and would just enjoy the coin as-is (I happen to like the color and think it is one of the better toned Franklin out there; I'm just not in love with the price tag or final grade).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file