Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Legendary Franklin resells for 63% less than $129,250 price

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 6, 2021 5:39PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Laura just issued a warning to set builders for selling quickly after completing their sets. She used the example of the $129,250 Franklin half which recently resold for just $47,000 on May 27, 2021.

Laura wrote on May 28, 2021:
We see many newer collectors who come in and distort the marketplace while being in the throws of a raging hunt. A great example is the collector who bought the 1958 wildly toned Franklin for $129,000.00 out of one of our auctions last year. He finished his set and sold it off-all but this coin. The underbidder clearly lost his taste and we just resold the coin for $47,000.00-OUCH! I guess the thrill hunt was that great of an experience?

The coin sold at auctions both times. In this case, the underbidder in the first auction may not have lost any taste but was able to pick it up cheaper because a stronger underbidder didn't appear in the second auction.

Comments

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Legendary condition rarity overreach.

• Options

@WCC said:
    I'd hardly call this coin "legendary".

It's pretty Legendary to me. I'm not sure what else to call it since the provenance isn't known.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1Mike1 said:
    I honestly don't know how someone can absorb these losses and continue to enjoy collecting.

The overwhelming likelihood is that they don't.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@WCC said:

It's pretty Legendary to me. I'm not sure what else to call it since the provenance isn't known.

You have far lower standards of significance than I do. I could give you my real opinion of it but then, I'd be accused of "thrashing" the coin or something worse.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

"The underbidder clearly lost his taste..." It might have been the previous underbidder that won it this time. It might just be that the number three bidder didn't think it was more than $47k special.

• Options

@WCC said:

@Zoins said:

@WCC said:

You have far lower standards of significance than I do. I could give you my real opinion of it but then, I'd be accused of "thrashing" the coin or something worse.

My standard is based on the amount of fame the coin has. Do you know of a more famous Franklin Half?

• Options
    edited June 6, 2021 5:03PM

@1Mike1 said:
    I honestly don't know how someone can absorb these losses and continue to enjoy collecting.

Laura's point is that if you hold the coins, you're more likely to recoup your investment.

Selling too early is what harms the resale price.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is quite a haircut, obviously. at least a few years between results and with the wild-west of coin price results out there these days, it could've been a calculated gamble.

perhaps the under-bidder got a "good" deal this time?

here is a new quote i may think, "it only takes two get into trouble at an auction but it takes three to get out."

if a player at this level and above does this continually and is pretty good, this result may not be as bad as it seems, if averaged out.

gonna take some hits and i've seen many an experienced forum member (roadrunner, wondercoin, tomb, captainhenway and MANY more) having not gotten themselves banned like some, speak calmly and rationally about many ups and downs of big sales results of the past decades.

a pinhole analysis of a result like this certainly gets the attention though and i've came close to posting some a few times, including frankies.

lots of diverse and interesting posts, information, presentation and neutrality on part of the OP.

hope you newer members are paying attention to many of the threads in this forum. a PhDs worth of information lay right at your fingertips with this forum...

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd need to be on suicide watch if I took a $75K plus haircut but in the end it's all relative. It seems like some with resources had a short lived passion to get the set done and once done the passion dissipated.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2021 5:40PM

@koynekwest said:
    It's a pretty coin but in my opinion it ain't worth 47 grand either.

$47K is still much higher than Legend's 2018 estimate of $15K to $17K.

• Options
    edited June 6, 2021 6:15PM

@IkesT said:

@Zoins said:
    Laura just issued a warning to set builders for selling quickly after completing their sets. She used the example of the $129,250 Franklin half which recently resold for just $47,000 on May 27, 2021.

We see many newer collectors who come in and distort the marketplace while being in the throws of a raging hunt. A great example is the collector who bought the 1958 wildly toned Franklin for $129,000.00 out of one of our auctions last year. He finished his set and sold it off-all but this coin. The underbidder clearly lost his taste and we just resold the coin for $47,000.00-OUCH! I guess the thrill hunt was that great of an experience?

If someone, say, buys a coin from me at $129,000...then consigns it to me, and I sell it again for $47,000...I'm not sure I'd be in such a rush to critique that person...

Her advice could be to help such a collector to:

1. not endure such a loss again
    2. be a happier collector long term

There's definitely something to be said for her advice.

I was just looking up Joseph Jacob Mickley's 1804 dollar and noted it dropped 32% or $1.2M in 5 years from 2013 to 2018. Imagine absorbing a $1.2M loss?

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1Mike1 said:

If you have lots of zeros in your net wealth who cares.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IkesT said:
    If someone, say, buys a coin from me at $129,000...then consigns it to me, and I sell it again for $47,000...I'm not sure I'd be in such a rush to critique that person...

At least she didn’t call him stupid and say he could have her left overs as she did Hansen after the $600K+ pair of Mercury Dimes in a now deleted thread. I agree with you 100%. I would have withheld the commentary or blamed it on the market!

• Options

@Zoins said:

@WCC said:

@Zoins said:

@WCC said:

My standard is based on the amount of fame the coin has. Do you know of a more famous Franklin Half?

I wouldn't call a single Franklin half famous or anything close to it.

It wouldn't surprise me if most collectors of the series have never heard of this coin. I presume it's well known to the modest number who spend "material" amounts on the series. Otherwise, likely only to the low proportion who are professional numismatists, read the coin press, or read forums like this one.

• Options
    edited June 6, 2021 6:33PM

@WCC said:

@Zoins said:

@WCC said:

@Zoins said:

@WCC said:

I wouldn't call a single Franklin half famous or anything close to it.

It wouldn't surprise me if most collectors of the series have never heard of this coin. I presume it's well known to the modest number who spend "material" amounts on the series. Otherwise, likely only to the low proportion who are professional numismatists, read the coin press, or read forums like this one.

You've made your opinion on many US coins well known in multiple threads. From my understanding, you don't collect US coins. Is that correct?

If you don't collect US coins, it would be easy to understand why you wouldn't call a Franklin half famous or anything close to it.

• Options
    foraiurforaiur Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

Sure, but it is her choice to be flippant. "OUCH! I guess the thrill hunt was that great of an experience?" And on. Maybe it was? Maybe it was a complete disaster driven by hardship or a personal emergency? If I were the one she's calling out I'd take my business elsewhere the next time I spent or sold. Why give $ to people presenting your choices to the world as idiotic?

• Options
    edited June 6, 2021 6:32PM

@foraiur said:

@Zoins said:

Sure, but it is her choice to be flippant. "OUCH! I guess the thrill hunt was that great of an experience?" And on. Maybe it was? Maybe it was a complete disaster driven by hardship or a personal emergency? If I were the one she's calling out I'd take my business elsewhere the next time I spent or sold. Why give $ to people presenting your choices to the world as idiotic?

From my understanding, many of her clients like her attitude. I'm not sure if they all do, but it could be like like having a gym trainer.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

The winner of that high bid is obviously 'a legend in his own mind'.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Being scolded by Laura is like earning your wings. It's a rite of passage

m

Especially in a Hot Topics :)

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

@foraiur said:

@Zoins said:

Because when your choices are indeed idiotic you deserve to be called out on them

The only idiotic person is Laura for calling out someone who bought a coin from her.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@IkesT said:

@Zoins said:

I was just looking up Joseph Jacob Mickley's 1804 dollar and noted it dropped 32% or $1.2M in 5 years from 2013 to 2018. Imagine absorbing a $1.2M loss?

I have a feeling the 1804 has a better chance of recovering some of the lost value versus the Franklin.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2021 7:09PM

@skier07 said:

@tradedollarnut said:

@foraiur said:

@Zoins said:

Because when your choices are indeed idiotic you deserve to be called out on them

The only idiotic person is Laura for calling out someone who bought a coin from her.

She’s done this for years. Her business is fine.

• Options
    edited June 6, 2021 6:59PM

@pmh1nic said:

@Zoins said:

@IkesT said:

@Zoins said:

I have a feeling the 1804 has a better chance of recovering some of the lost value versus the Franklin.

That won’t help the person who lost $1.2M.

Laura’s point is that longer holding periods help maintain value.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2021 7:19PM

Well we can’t call the guy the end user but end what? You guys fill in the blank. What pct or total amount does the auction house make on these 2 transactions. And this a common date issue. A nice MS 65 at $33 (CPG) fills the hole good enough.

It only illustrates the highly speculative risk of this material rofl. But for a billionaire chump change.

When I think of all the slabbed coins somebody could have bought at a show from a wholesaler (recently setup at) at 2 pct behind bid I feel sick. Just think their cases would be full of slabs!

Even if he invested in MS69 & 70 slabbed bullion coins he would have done better. The really sad part is all the single digit slabbed world coins that would buy.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2021 7:22PM

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

Exactly.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

too much money to spend and not enough common sense to go with the money to spend is the issue

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to read the post resale of this coin replies to this thread that would be posted if the sale price was 63% higher than the prior sale price.

That would provide an interesting contrast to the post resale threads posted already.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SeattleSlammer said:
    I’m thinking it’s around a 64 obverse at best, technically speaking…

I personally find it unattractive, but it's much better than 64.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@pmh1nic said:

@Zoins said:

@IkesT said:

@Zoins said:

That won’t help the person who lost $1.2M.

Laura’s point is that longer holding periods help maintain value.

It definitely won't help the seller.

As far as how long the coin is held, I'm not sure if that applies to a coin like the 1804 that is so very rare and relatively very expensive. Putting aside the one sold in 1941 the sales that have occurred according to PCGS auctions records were in 1989, 1993, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2008, 2013, 2017, 2018 and 2020. You had PR-62 coins that sold in 2008 for $3.7 million (NGC), 2013 for $3.8 million (PCGS) and then in 2018 for $2.6 million (PCGS). So you have approximately five year time spans where coins become available and in this case five year time spans where similar coins (all 62's) become available and in five years the price goes up marginally and after another five year span the price dropped dramatically for a similar coin. In between (2017) you had a PR-65 sell for $3.2 million, less than the PR-62 coin sold in 2013. Did the selling price on the PR-65 greatly impact the price on the PR-62 sold the following year? Would that have changed if the seller of the PR-62 had waited another five years?

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    I would like to read the post resale of this coin replies to this thread that would be posted if the sale price was 63% higher than the prior sale price.

That would provide an interesting contrast to the post resale threads posted already.

It might be similar to the 2018 reaction:

https://coinweek.com/auctions-news/legend-auctions/legend-auctions-wild-toned-1958-franklin-half-sold-for-beyond-moon-money/

Legend Numismatics wrote:
    Legend Auctions – Wild Toned 1958 Franklin Half Sold for “Beyond Moon Money!”
    Franklin half dollars and classic commemorative issues rounded out the session with a record shattering $129,250 for the FINEST KNOWN and monster toned 1958, graded PCGS MS67+ CAC. Arguably this is the finest of all Mint State Franklins and it far surpasses the record for any coin of the type, which was previously under $90,000!

“This result was completely shocking,” explained Julie Abrams. “We had record bidding on this Superb Gem almost the moment the sale went live. This result was beyond moon money—the result is just unbelievable! Never did we think a Franklin would sell for such a strong bid, it was over 9 times the low estimate!”

• Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2021 8:04PM

I will take " The Art of Buying a Widget" for $400

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this post a post-resale discussion or a pre-resale post about a post-resale perspective?

Either way, the post is past the pre-sale so it’s a moot point. Now, do you think this post-resale post would have impacted the pre-resale price if it were to have been posted prior to the resale?

Keep me posted.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2021 8:06PM

@SeattleSlammer said:
    I’m thinking it’s around a 64 obverse at best, technically speaking…

I think 67+ is very generous for it. I also think $47k is much too strong. Both owners are buried IMHO.

It looks like another retread/piece of expensive dreck. Sigh. ;)

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2021 8:45PM

Yes the 130k buyer buried himself in a real deep hole. CPG for MS 67 that piece $377. Toners of course emotion kicks in / bid war.

While the coin is an attractive toner tarnish gets darker with age, reaction with the atmosphere - it might not be so nice after another ten years lol.

As far as holding coins a long time so make a bigger return can be nonsense rubbish. Look at Pcgs 3000 many coins still down since 89 crash. Classic Commems cheaper than 25 yr ago.

Sure a whale of a buyer may come along or NOT.

Churn your investment, buy low / sell high.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file