Home Sports Talk
Options

La Russa now in second place on MLB career manager wins list

ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 6, 2021 2:19PM in Sports Talk

Congratulations to Tony La Russa, who moved past John McGraw into sole possession of second place on baseball's career manager wins list, directing the White Sox to a 3-0 victory over the Tigers on Sunday. Only Connie Mack has more managerial wins in baseball history. Here's my autograph of La Russa.

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a good argument for declaring La Russa the greatest manager. Connie Mack owned part of the team and stayed around for way too long. Even when he was well past his prime, which was from the teens to the thirties, he hung around picking up wins with last place teams. La Russa’s scientific approach to the game set him apart from the old time “seat of the pants” guys, like most of guys who managed the Red Sox before the current ownership took over.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    There is a good argument for declaring La Russa the greatest manager. Connie Mack owned part of the team and stayed around for way too long. Even when he was well past his prime, which was from the teens to the thirties, he hung around picking up wins with last place teams. La Russa’s scientific approach to the game set him apart from the old time “seat of the pants” guys, like most of guys who managed the Red Sox before the current ownership took over.

It is pretty safe to assume that we will never see managers/coaches able to hang on and accumulate wins like they did in much older eras. Atleast not to any close extent.

I'd be interested in hearing any GOAT MLB manager discussion.

Different topic, but I find it interesting to look at the differences in baseball managers of today vs not so long ago. From what I can gather, the teams are looking for very different candidates nowadays. They seem to want very player-friendly managers. And the managers seem to be more or less at the will of the front offices, even when it comes to lineups and that type of thing. So much is about analytics, and it isn't just the manager and his bench coach using their guts to make decisions.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can have our guy; Rockhead Baldummy!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set