Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Delete please

Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭

I remember several years ago in the comic book CGC forums, we used to have Virtual Comic-Cons, held over a weekend. A thread was created, and anyone who wanted to participate reserved a post as their "table". You listed what you were selling, and edited your post as items sold or you added more. It was alot of fun to scroll through the thread, like browsing the tables on a bourse floor.

Wondered if there'd be any interest in doing that here?

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be interested.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it!

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would also be very interested!!

• Options
    edited June 5, 2021 10:16AM

OK, there's some interest. I can start the thread, with details and rules. What do we think, next weekend? Or more time to get prepared, and gain more interest. It's more fun when dozens of members participate.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

They used to have a monthly post here that was similar. It was for items under a certain value and you could add and remove items as needed. The following month they would start a new clean one. I haven't seen that for a while.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd participate if it comes together. Sounds like fun. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭

Yes please !!

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options
    KISHU1KISHU1 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭

Sounds good to me

Frank D

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a link to one of the old Bargain Bins. https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/911899/march-bargain-bin

• Options

@Batman23 said:
    Here is a link to one of the old Bargain Bins. https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/911899/march-bargain-bin

I like that, but how this will be different is that your post will serve as your booth or table. You can have different sections like featured items, or a $5 "box", or supplies and books. They're really fun to browse through. The first post will have an index of sellers and what page they're on.

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

I liked the old bargain bin concept and used to like to browse those (and purchase) back in 2006/2007 when I was starting out collecting. I rarely buy anything at the below $100 pricepoint anymore, so I'd like to see a virtual show with stuff at all levels. Restricting it to cheaper stuff would eliminate a large segment of interest.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps I am simply out of touch here, but isn't this just reinventing the BST forum into a less user friendly BST thread?

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    edited June 5, 2021 2:30PM

@TomB said:
    Perhaps I am simply out of touch here, but isn't this just reinventing the BST forum into a less user friendly BST thread?

It's something the CGC comic forum does regularly and has alot of fun with it. Not sure why it would be less user friendly. People post in the BST forum to sell one or two rather special (expensive) coins typically. This would be a place to sell not only those, but also list a bunch of stuff you normally wouldn't post in a BST thread. $10 coins, $5 coins, $1 coins, etc. Whatever you want. No one is forced to participate.

I guess we don't have to, just though it would be fun here.

• Options

I see it as less user friendly because in the regular BST board each thread is marked with exactly (in theory) what is being offered and at what venue (hopefully) and folks can easily click on the links they want so as to see those items they are interested in. The giant thread idea would require scrolling through the thread on a regular basis to find out what has been added and by whom as well as where it might be offered for sale. Essentially, one might have to scroll through tons of things that one had no interest in just to find the needle in the haystack. Even if you were to update the items, sellers, venues and costs of everything in your first post, you would then be acting as the overall moderator of a sales platform and you would be more or less "on call" 24-7 to update your post. That seems unwieldy and a giant step backward from what we already have. Additionally, we have an unwritten (it may have been actually written previously) rule that someone who starts a thread can post to it only once per day on the BST and other posts to the thread are frowned upon. Therefore, your custom BST thread might sink relatively quickly as well as might be out of date with respect to what is available.

I don't know the sales offer volume on the CGC side, but this idea seems dead in the water to me.

• Options
    edited June 5, 2021 2:47PM

I don't think I've clearly communicated how it works. I wouldn't be posting to the thread over and over. I would start the thread, and never have to post to it again. Each person who replies uses that space as their booth. They state their payment terms, returns, policies, etc. They can edit it to add or remove inventory. I do not manage it. Each seller manages their own "store". Transactions are handled over PM.

It takes place over one weekend, and doesn't replace what we have here. If someone doesn't want to scroll through to find the needle in the haystack (same as you do at an actual coin show) they don't have to click the link. Not sure why trying it would take away from the BST experience in any way. There just isn't enough variety in the BST. Maybe I need to pick up some circulated raw Buffalo nickels for my son's album. Not posted here too often.

It just so happens that the CGC forum is holding theirs next weekend. Total coincidence, as I haven't browsed their forums in years until today. Check out this forum that has some info on how it works, FAQs, etc. Also, we should check it out next weekend as it's happening, to see the format.
    https://cgccomics.com/boards/forum/59-virtual-comic-convention-vcc-expo-center/

I'll see what the consensus is. If everyone else agrees it's "dead in the water," I'll drop it.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m up for trying it one weekend. We can assess it’s popularity after the fact.

• Options

Here is a link to the one they held back in March. You can click their various "halls" to get an idea of how people set up their booths. (Indicated with "VCC XLVIII (March 13-14, 2021)" in each of them).

https://cgccomics.com/boards/forum/85-virtual-comic-convention-vcc-archive/

• Options
    Nederveit2Nederveit2 Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

Link does not work for me, do I need to be a member?

• Options
    edited June 5, 2021 3:47PM

@Nederveit2 said:
    Link does not work for me, do I need to be a member?

Oh possibly. I didn't think about that. Not sure if I can post screenshots from a forum that requires membership.

• Options

Your description still does not answer my questions, or perhaps it does and the value still eludes me.

Are you suggesting that it be a single long thread with various users posting material for sale in their own posts? If so, then you have exactly described the BST forum, only in your single long thread there aren't titles for each person's sales to tell everyone else what might be for sale. Therefore, one would have to scroll through all the posts to see what was for sale instead of looking at titles of threads on the BST forum and investigating those that are of interest.

It also, as far as I can tell, would in no way, shape or form increase the variety of what is offered or spur someone to list circulated raw Buffalo nickels. After all, the cost of the sale is the cost of the sale and would be the same for the BST forum as for a single long thread.

I just don't get how that is convenient.

• Options
    edited June 5, 2021 4:17PM

It's just a community event, like an annual yard sale in your neighborhood. Actual coin shows have been cancelled this past year due to Covid, and it would be fun to do a virtual one. Something for people to plan to set up a virtual table and sell some more common items they normally wouldn't create a BST post for. The consensus here has been primarily positive. Those who don't want to participate can ignore it.

• Options

Please, keep Covid out of it in your edit...

In your scenario folks still have to take images, describe items, determine method of payment, come up with prices, schedule how to ship and communicate with potential buyers. The only differences are that instead of having a dedicated thread where their items are described upfront for folks, they instead drop their information into a mass of other posts. It saves someone perhaps two mouse-clicks to drop a post in your thread vs. starting their own thread, yet I would imagine it would make finding their items for sale much harder for those browsing the BST.

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think it’s fair to the folks trying to sell on the bst with all this discussion and bumping the thread constantly. I don’t believe this is the right venue to have discussions.

It sure doesn’t instill confidence that this already is taking priority in the bst.
    Have a great weekend.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2021 10:53PM

@TomB said:
    Please, keep Covid out of it in your edit...

OK, thanks. So no virtual coin show and keep Covid out. Got it.

I was afraid if I posted in the general forum I'd be told to move it here. Can't win. Just thought it would be a fun idea to try. Mods, please delete this entire thread.