Home U.S. Coin Forum

Best Coin Lamp

CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm embarrassed to admit I don't have a dedicated coin lamp. Recommendations?

Comments

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use an Ott light

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like Ott lights because they mimic natural light. Both to look at coins and also for taking pictures. I have a few of the older fluorescent ones designed for crafting and also one of the newer LED ones. But the LED one is the Amazon brand generic Ott light.

Mr_Spud

• chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a simple architects type swing lamp from the big box home store and fitted it with a GE Reveal Halogen bulb. It's my go-to lamp.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2021 8:19PM

My favorite is the light source that goes with my stereo microscope.
    You can really get the low angle lighting to bring up the die cracks.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/143760380249
    and the scope is
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/274817681298

• Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to see which Ott Light everyone uses. i use these that I got from Costco. They're nice with daylight or warm light settings, and 3 different brightness settings. But I wish I could get the light directly over the coin for photos. You have to aim it at an angle.

• hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

please do tell which one

Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates

I gotta know more about that mineral oil technique. It's a big drop? Any particular type of mineral oil?

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is Amazon the best place to buy one of these Ott lights?

• CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    Is Amazon the best place to buy one of these Ott lights?

Got mine from Best Buy on EBay . I forget how much but I know is was a little cheaper than Amazon plus I got the 5% E bucks....

• chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lamp for photography isn’t necessarily the best lamp for everyday coin inspection and research. Fluorescent and LED bulbs have their purpose too but aren’t always the best for all-around viewing.

@Rob9874 said:
    I gotta know more about that mineral oil technique. It's a big drop? Any particular type of mineral oil?

I’ve been using isoparrafin (isopar L)
    That they sell to refill those liquid filled compasses you see on boats. But other people use regular mineral oil, cooking oil and even WD40. I like the isoparrafin because it is optically clear and after you blot it off with a paper towel, any residue you miss will evaporate off. I’ve been putting it on the slab with a medicine dropper right over the coin and I keep adding it drop by drop until it forms a little dome that completely covers the coin. It takes a few drops. People use oil like this to make scratches in the slab disappear temporarily so they could take a picture, but I noticed it allows my autofocus on my iPhone to work better because it can’t see any glare or haziness from the slab. I’ve been using this oil

Compass Oil, 1 Pint https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BLP62F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_06GANN5SE4JCFXSCH5Q9

Mr_Spud

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2021 9:02AM

@Mr_Spud my mind is blown over this whole oil thing! 🤯 I had never even heard of it .... but it makes sense too for the reasons you describe, and your pic looks excellent.

Thanks @Mr_Spud, just ordered some. Excited to try it.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats a good idea to act on. good thread :)

• savitalesavitale Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

viewing coins requires different lighting than photographing coins.

For viewing you want an LED desktop magnifier such as this one.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

edited June 4, 2021 2:43PM

Sorry if I derailed the thread. For just viewing coins people have different preferences for different reasone. I use the same lights to view coins as I do for taking pictures, but I have to use a hand held magnifier to see details. The lights mounted to a magnifier would be great, but I get by without one. Instead I use one of these magnabrite magnifying lenses that pulls light in and focuses it on the coin (kinda like how the oil dome does)
    https://magnabrite.com/

Mr_Spud

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used an Ottlite for years. Recently upgraded to the slide model (adjustable brightness) and I am in love. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file