Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

White Whale assistance thread

thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

What ONE card (limit one pls) are you having an awful time tracking down, and you would go so far as to send a stranger a finder's fee if they were able to successfully assist you in your hunt? Let's keep this simple - and maybe we can help some fellow collectors along the way by utilizing crowd-sourcing!? Name the card, the grade/condition (if that matters), and what you'd need to get in return for a finders fee. If there's a great story to go with this - even better! I'll go first.

I'm trying to find a 2000 UD Legends 3 color jersey patch card of Randy Moss. Not a very valuable card, but tougher to find than I expected. I'd gladly send a crisp $20 bill to the first person to hook me up with a willing seller.

Comments

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thehallmark

Sorry for ‘breaking the rules’ but this set is so tough and I need the help badly. I would take ca

The 1946 Propagandas Montiel Los Reyes del Deporte set is a beast. I’ve been working on it for years and I still need 10-11 cards to complete it. That range is because I’m not sure one exists:

90 Oswald Bluege (may not exist)
    92 Buddy Lewis
    95 Sherrard Robertson
    100 Borrest Smith
    144 Jack Sweeting
    145 Bill Wixted
    165 Bill Lewis
    171 Jackie Myer
    177 Paul Waner
    179 John Sabatie
    180 John Maire

How’s that for a collection of players? Obscure players from obscure sets are a real challenge so if you’re still reading, please, Please, PLEASE go shake some trees for me? Call a dealer you know, email a friend, check your own boxes and help me finish this one off, fellas.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

im always reluctant to list my white whales. similar to publicly publishing a set on the registry. alot of registry scalpers out there.

• Options

@blurryface said:
    im always reluctant to list my white whales. similar to publicly publishing a set on the registry. alot of registry scalpers out there.

True.

It’s a tough decision but the way I see it I have exhausted my search at this point. Plus, these aren’t really desirable cards as much as they are hard to find. I could see them going for $5-10 each but first you have to find them.

At those prices, I can afford to get screwed a little. And I’d probably go as high as $25 per.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

1979 Mattel Pop-Up Pitcher Steve Garvey

In 1979 (I believe), Mattel marketed a boxed toy/game called Steve Garvey Pop-Up Pitcher. Most of the contents of the box don't matter to me, but there were two stickers included that featured Garvey. The player was supposed to peel the stickers and affix them to the game pieces.

I would pay $300 for the game--or even just the stickers alone. I would be willing to pay a finder's fee of $50 to anyone who could successfully land me this prize.

Condition is important, but not as important as simply owning one.

• Options
    CentauriCentauri Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

Mine: 2016 Francisco Lindor Topps Series 2 clear/acetate. The card is /10, and in five years I’ve not seen even 1 for sale anywhere. I have every other non 1/1 parallel of this card, including flagship, chrome, Opening Day, Walmart, etc.

I’d happily pay $100 for a finder fee for this or any of the 1/1.

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

Totally agree and there are definitely cards I don't like to post about because I don't want to draw attention to them or risk anyone holding me hostage. But sometimes we are the apex predator for the card, and finding it out in the big wide world is the only challenge we are concerned about in the moment. That's my hope at least - that maybe we have great hunters in here with resources and are willing to be helpful for good mojo or for a price.

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2021 9:01AM

In the late ‘80s or early ‘90’s, cards were issued to the California state troopers. I’m looking for a Rickey Henderson for a friend of mine. Will paying too dollar in accordance with the condition. Thanks!

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

1983 Miller Press Fred Couples PSA 10
    1983 Miller Press Payne Stewart PSA 10

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Around the time all the trimming scandals popped I decided to go after something different than my normal vintage. Fell in love with the 2019 Topps on Demand inspired by 1955 Bowman set. Modern collectors are not that into the set because it is horizontal and the autographs are stickers. This allowed me to go hog-wild and try to get a pretty comprehensive set.

I have all the base cards, all the autographs to 50, all the autographs to 10. For the players without autographs have all players to 50 but missing two player to 10.

Need the dial TV/10 (non-autograph) Bo Bichette and Sixto Sanchez. Have not scene either come up for sale.

Here is my Vlad Jr. run from the set. I bid on the 1/1s when/if they become available but usually do not win since they are add-ins to what I was trying to complete. My only modern rainbow in my collection.

• Options
    Canes8387899101Canes8387899101 Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

In my Cane room I have 8x10's signed with all the Miami Hurricanes in the NFL Hall of Fame in their college uniforms except for double 0 Jim Otto. It's easy to find his signature in a Raiders uniform, or even on a []_[] mini-helmet/football, but a college picture 8x10 with a signature hasn't happened yet.

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2021 6:52PM

I've been looking for THE 1976 Town Talk Cliff Harris PSA 8. It's the only example of this card ever graded by PSA. I have been able to track down three raw copies, which is no small task as these were only issued in Western PA and Eastern Ohio. However, I don't think any of the three would grade higher than a PSA 3 due to staining from having been in the Town Talk bread bag. It's the last item I need to be the first one to complete the Cliff Harris master set.

Steve

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

@stevegarveyfan said:
    1979 Mattel Pop-Up Pitcher Steve Garvey

In 1979 (I believe), Mattel marketed a boxed toy/game called Steve Garvey Pop-Up Pitcher. Most of the contents of the box don't matter to me, but there were two stickers included that featured Garvey. The player was supposed to peel the stickers and affix them to the game pieces.

I would pay $300 for the game--or even just the stickers alone. I would be willing to pay a finder's fee of $50 to anyone who could successfully land me this prize.

Condition is important, but not as important as simply owning one.

It is weird how some games are so plentiful, yet others seem not to exist. I am curious to know who won the sticker that sold on ebay a few years back. As I recall, even though ebay "hides" the user IDS, I am familiar with my primary rivals enough to recognize them in code. The winner was not one I was familiar with. That always surprises me when a mystery person wins a rare Garvey item, as the market for most of his stuff is not large.

I tend to agree a bit with @blurryface. Showing your hand can get you stung, but there are still cases where great collectors will work with you and cut you a deal because you are a "true collector". I feel a little bit the same about disclosing unique or special info in some cases that can give you the upper hand in securing items that are scarce or unique, but in the end, I like to share the stories, even if i am one of the few that even care. I believe this is how Ryan came to know about the Pop Up Garvey, as I had the game in my possession for years and had no clue the stickers were inside until this item came up for sale on ebay!

https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/369136329205578870/7107994809582313058

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    stevebaystevebay Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

@stevegarveyfan said:
    So a couple of weeks ago I was on Facebook asking for help to get an item shipped here from North Carolina. A friend tagged a friend, and that friend happily agreed to help me out. The package arrived last Friday, and only today did I finally work up the nerve to open it. It was worth it. All that fuss over a child's toy. And not even that. The fuss was really all about a panel of decals/stickers that were meant to be affixed to the sides of the toy. The toy is called Steve Garvey's Pop-Up Pitcher, by Mattel.

Here's the item I had sought for years, and it's finally here and in my possession. The actual decal panel measures 7 cm x 10 cm. All that fuss over a decal. That's what happens when you're a die-hard collector who will stop at nothing to find one little bitty thing.

I just hope PSA will grade it!

Wow, that's awesome, and in pristine condition for being over 40 years old! Hope he makes the HOF some day.

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevegarveyfan said:
    So a couple of weeks ago I was on Facebook asking for help to get an item shipped here from North Carolina. A friend tagged a friend, and that friend happily agreed to help me out. The package arrived last Friday, and only today did I finally work up the nerve to open it. It was worth it. All that fuss over a child's toy. And not even that. The fuss was really all about a panel of decals/stickers that were meant to be affixed to the sides of the toy. The toy is called Steve Garvey's Pop-Up Pitcher, by Mattel.

Here's the item I had sought for years, and it's finally here and in my possession. The actual decal panel measures 7 cm x 10 cm. All that fuss over a decal. That's what happens when you're a die-hard collector who will stop at nothing to find one little bitty thing.

I just hope PSA will grade it!

You got it! Congratulations, what an incredible find!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

@Kid4hof03 Wow!!

Great story…great hunt!!

Great result!!!

Thanks for sharing.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that pop-up pitcher is awesome!!!! Congrats on an amazing pick-up.

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 467 ✭✭✭

Those Garvey stickers are badass! Congrats on the find.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    omgjediomgjedi Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2022 10:58PM

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    @thehallmark

Sorry for ‘breaking the rules’ but this set is so tough and I need the help badly. I would take ca

The 1946 Propagandas Montiel Los Reyes del Deporte set is a beast. I’ve been working on it for years and I still need 10-11 cards to complete it. That range is because I’m not sure one exists:

92 Buddy Lewis
    95 Sherrard Robertson
    100 Borrest Smith
    144 Jack Sweeting
    145 Bill Wixted
    165 Bill Lewis
    171 Jackie Myer
    177 Paul Waner
    179 John Sabatie
    180 John Maire

How’s that for a collection of players? Obscure players from obscure sets are a real challenge so if you’re still reading, please, Please, PLEASE go shake some trees for me? Call a dealer you know, email a friend, check your own boxes and help me finish this one off, fellas.

there is a Sherrard Roberston on ebay right now from COMC PSA graded PR1, but buy it now is 526.10. Bit more than the 5-10 you figured it may go for.

Looking further see a Bill Lewis from COMC as well PSA 1, again though 407.10 BIN.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234117288702?var=533746635827&hash=item36827a52fe:g:ZssAAOSwJkhhCFKK Robertson

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234121102901?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28&var=533749177466 Lewis

• Options

@omgjedi said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    @thehallmark

92 Buddy Lewis
    95 Sherrard Robertson
    100 Borrest Smith
    144 Jack Sweeting
    145 Bill Wixted
    165 Bill Lewis
    171 Jackie Myer
    177 Paul Waner
    179 John Sabatie
    180 John Maire

there is a Sherrard Roberston on ebay right now from COMC PSA graded PR1, but buy it now is 526.10. Bit more than the 5-10 you figured it may go for.

Looking further see a Bill Lewis from COMC as well PSA 1, again though 407.10 BIN.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234117288702?var=533746635827&hash=item36827a52fe:g:ZssAAOSwJkhhCFKK Robertson

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234121102901?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28&var=533749177466 Lewis

Thank you, brother!

Believe it or not, I actually found a Sherrard Robertson…

…and as to the prices offered by that seller of the Bill Lewis card, he clearly does not want to sell any of those items. The prices are unrealistic and unchanged for a long time and the seller is unresponsive.

I’ll just keep hunting!

• Options
    CrashingwavesCrashingwaves Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

My elusive whale - 2008 Donruss Americana II Ring Kings - Frankie Edgar auto /25.

Not sure why this card has been so elusive... and I have busted many boxes with no luck.... but hey, I now have a ton of B level actor cards.

• Options

@Canes8387899101 said:
    In my Cane room I have 8x10's signed with all the Miami Hurricanes in the NFL Hall of Fame in their college uniforms except for double 0 Jim Otto. It's easy to find his signature in a Raiders uniform, or even on a []_[] mini-helmet/football, but a college picture 8x10 with a signature hasn't happened yet.

I really wanted to help you get this since Otto still signs and I have a guy that I could send stuff to to get signed by him. But sort of on what you said about a signed 8x10, I can't even find a photo of him in a Miami uniform or anything. Closest I could find was a headshot clipping from a newspaper or magazine. If anyone can help get a photo, maybe we can help fill Cane's Cane room.

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2022 6:49PM

@omgjedi said:

@Canes8387899101 said:

I really wanted to help you get this since Otto still signs and I have a guy that I could send stuff to to get signed by him. But sort of on what you said about a signed 8x10, I can't even find a photo of him in a Miami uniform or anything. Closest I could find was a headshot clipping from a newspaper or magazine. If anyone can help get a photo, maybe we can help fill Cane's Cane room.

From ebay:

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

National photo

• Options

• Options

• Options
    Canes8387899101Canes8387899101 Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

@omgjedi said:

@Canes8387899101 said:

Omgjedi, thank you for your help looking for an 8x10 of Otto in a Canes uniform. Hoping that one turns up signed or unsigned, so I can complete the wall. If I find one unsigned, I would definately take you up on the offer!
    @vols1 I just looked for this on ebay, and couldn't find it. That pic is it! See what happens when I go on vacation, and stop looking for a few days!

• Options
    edited September 21, 2022 3:25PM

@Canes8387899101
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/372635841754?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

Edit:sorry thought that was a canes jersey first glance then realized its an American team jersey