Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Weird eBay "scam" going around, sellers beware.

DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not sure if I should call this a scam but I really can't think of a better word for it.

I sold something on eBay earlier today, and about 5 minutes later, got a message requesting I cancel the sale. I went to cancel it when I suddenly noticed the username and location of the individual that requested the cancellation was NOT the same as the user that purchased the item! I have no idea what this individuals motivations are, but they are questionable at best!

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is nefarious. I can't imagine someone did so by accident. It is curious, though, as to their motivation other than to mess with you.
    Thanks for the tap on the shoulder. Skullduggery like that is why I stopped selling on eBay. (I now strictly use consignment dealers.)

peacockcoins

• Options
    edited June 3, 2021 1:39PM

I assume they want to buy what I sold and are hoping I cancel and relist it before the actual buyer notices. Instead, I blocked them.

I cannot figure out what other motivation they have. And yes, what I sold was a decent deal and priced to move, but not an incredible deal. It is very shady.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:
    I assume they want to buy what I sold and are hoping I cancel and relist it before the actual buyer notices. Instead, I blocked them.

I cannot figure out what other motivation they have. And yes, what I sold was a decent deal and priced to move, but not an incredible deal. It is very shady.

That's the kind of thing I would inform ebay of... Request a call back from ebay and give them a heads up is what I would do.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@Kurisu said:

@DelawareDoons said:

That's the kind of thing I would inform ebay of... Request a call back from ebay and give them a heads up is what I would do.

Already done. Just making everybody aware.

Username is chajew_48 by the way, from Vista, California.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Report it ... and thanks for sharing!

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the heads up.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Out of curiosity, did that person bid on the item? Any chance they either saw it close above their bid while thinking they won (and thus they made a mistake) or they mixed up this with another item? That buyer has a fair amount of feedback, which means it seems like an established account, and usually I'd expect this kind of activity from a new burner account. For what it's worth, I had a buyer a week or two ago who held off paying until he got the invoice for the two coins he won... until I had to point out to him that he only won one of them. He promptly paid and apologized for the mix-up.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

@airplanenut said:
    Out of curiosity, did that person bid on the item? Any chance they either saw it close above their bid while thinking they won (and thus they made a mistake) or they mixed up this with another item? That buyer has a fair amount of feedback, which means it seems like an established account, and usually I'd expect this kind of activity from a new burner account. For what it's worth, I had a buyer a week or two ago who held off paying until he got the invoice for the two coins he won... until I had to point out to him that he only won one of them. He promptly paid and apologized for the mix-up.

This was a buy-it-now listing that sold about 20 minutes after I posted it.

I reached out to a seller that cancelled on me last week after I bought their item. I hadn't thought to ask for the username at the time but I did today. Surprise, it was the same user. I did re-buy the item after messaging this seller, but it was still a completely unnecessary pain in the rear and I almost left the seller a negative feedback while I was stewing over the cancellation.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

@Kurisu said:

@DelawareDoons said:

Already done. Just making everybody aware.

Username is chajew_48 by the way, from Vista, California.

Ah, man- that's just a town over from me.
    If it who I think it might be a decade or so ago he compiled an absolute killer typeset. I mean- sparkling GEM coins all across the board. Too bad he had to play with them (gunmetal bluing was his favorite) and generally lowered the value of his set to about 20% of what he had into them.

peacockcoins

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

@airplanenut said:

I reached out to a seller that cancelled on me last week after I bought their item. I hadn't thought to ask for the username at the time but I did today. Surprise, it was the same user. I did re-buy the item after messaging this seller, but it was still a completely unnecessary pain in the rear and I almost left the seller a negative feedback while I was stewing over the cancellation.

I'm not sure if be surprised. I think you have their motivation right there. They are apparently mad about the other transaction and are just screwing with you.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

I'm not sure if be surprised. I think you have their motivation right there. They are apparently mad about the other transaction and are just screwing with you.

Did he leave immediate feedback for you as a buyer?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay getting sketchy, I hit a title in an email I received with no picture ... it said I bought it

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@airplanenut said:

There was no way he knew I was the buyer of that coin. He's acting independently, I buy a lot on eBay. I've just now coincidentally run into him twice. I'm guessing he's doing this a lot.

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@airplanenut said:

There was no way he knew I was the buyer of that coin. He's acting independently, I buy a lot on eBay. I've just now coincidentally run into him twice. I'm guessing he's doing this a lot.

Maybe. Although if the seller shared his ID with you, he could have shared yours with him.

Was it the same kind of item?

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've recently started buying more on ebay. I've sold some in the past but it seems like selling, especially for a "sometimes seller" like me, is getting to be more of a headache than it's worth. Too bad, I was considering selling some antiques...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2021 5:51PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@airplanenut said:

Maybe. Although if the seller shared his ID with you, he could have shared yours with him.

I asked the seller, he ceased all communication with the guy as soon as he realized, and didn't tell him my username.

They were both coins. Different types. Similar price range ($150).

I have not left feedback yet.

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@airplanenut said:

I asked the seller, he ceased all communication with the guy as soon as he realized, and didn't tell him my username.

They were both coins. Different types. Similar price range ($150).

I have not left feedback yet.

Bit of a statistical oddity... running into the same person twice like that.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2021 7:00PM

I recently had a buyer with 1 feedback buy a coin. Wanted to return the $300 item and shipped back to my PO Box. It was marked as delivered but never made it to my PO Box and was delivered to a street address down the road as they have gps tracking at delivery with their scanner. Makes me think he put an address over the label.

I told him I’d go into the post office today to check and he immediately filed a claim with eBay and since it was marked delivered, they sided with him and refunded him the money.

• Options

@jessewvu said:
    I recently had a buyer with 1 feedback but a coin. Wanted to return the $300 item ans shipped pack to my PO Box. Marked as delivered but never made it to my PO Box and was delivered to a street address down the road. Makes me think he put an address over the label.

I told him I’d go into the post office today to check and he immediately filed a claim with eBay and since it was marked delivered, they sided with him and refunded him the money.

Could also be the post office. They are still struggling.

• Options
    edited June 3, 2021 7:01PM

Maybe but I know everyone in the post office and they know me. They said it shouldn’t have left the post office once inside 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    edited June 3, 2021 7:03PM

@jessewvu said:
    Maybe but I know everyone in the post office and they know me. They said it shouldn’t have left the post office once inside 🤷‍♂️

It's easy to prove. Have them pull the photo of the package.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

Not if you believe their tv ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV-Trme3kpA

• Options

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Not if you believe their tv ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV-Trme3kpA

Lol. Ask me about my recent experiences.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Lol. Ask me about my recent experiences.

No need, I have my own. I had to laugh when I saw the ad on tv, though- maybe they should try to deal with the business they have already accepted payment to provide before trying to attract more.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@jessewvu said:

Say whaaaaaaat? Who took a picture?

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can go in the backdoor by looking at sold listing and then via "see original listing" and contact seller.

I would check the coin for an unattributed variety.

Seems like alot of interest for this type of underhanded dealing.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    edited June 4, 2021 5:09AM

@jessewvu said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jessewvu said:

Say whaaaaaaat? Who took a picture?

Post office photographs package when they scan them at the sort facility. You can see the label.

• Options

This guy is still doing this for what it's worth. I'd suggest blocking his new eBay account, "terrag_79". He now sends the message from a new throwaway account then buys it on the aforementioned account.

Throwaway accounts he's used are as follows;
    hecar577680
    mawa6964
    prconn6502

The address traces back to a bankruptcy law firm in Vista, CA, outside of San Diego.

• Options

The law firm is a virtual address. I have his actual name and address now.

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@burfle23 said:

Yes, they NARU'ed his original account. See my recent posts for updated information on this individual.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@jessewvu said:
    I recently had a buyer with 1 feedback but a coin. Wanted to return the $300 item ans shipped pack to my PO Box. Marked as delivered but never made it to my PO Box and was delivered to a street address down the road. Makes me think he put an address over the label.

That's putting it mildly.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

Just FYI, mawa has another new name on ebay, mawa6962 , same strategy though, try to get a seller to cancel an order with the hopes of swooping in an buying it once it gets relisted. I was the buyer tonight, luckily seller reached out before cancelling. This has happened to me as a buyer MULTIPLE times before. I called eBay, agent agreed mawa6962's account looks suspicious (opened in Oct. 21, only bought 1 item) and could see the messages he sent to the seller. Just a warning to all buyers & sellers to keep watching out!

• Options

If you're shopping for coins on eBay you may have also come across user 'drkitt###'. I myself purchased a coin from 'drkitt12', I sent multiple messages to the seller.. never heard a thing. The coin did ship, but being it was only about $50 and he had a dozen much more expensive coin listings going I'm not sure those folks received their coins. Now what is suspicious is that a new account 'drkitt_37' has popped up today. This guy's listings always have the coin in the slab rotated 90 degrees, and this new seller has listed a coin with the same format. Just be alert.. this guy is likely some kind of scammer.

• Options
    knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 222 ✭✭✭

Another recent scam/hack happened to a friend of mine. He sold a PCGS V-75 Gold coin on eBay. Buyer paid for it and sent his address..........which happened to be to someone else's address that had hacked into the buyers address profile. Luckily eBay paid for the lost transaction and had an address to track the thief down. Not sure if they hunted them down or not but the transaction was over $3,000. Really sad that we can't do much anywhere anymore without worrying about scammers being on the take.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

When it’s some screwball request be careful.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Knovak. So true and so sad but these kind of things have been going on as long as there have been people participating in commerce

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file